I'm always so hungry!

Options
I've always had a big appetite. I eat a lot. Big portions at meals, lots of unhealthy snacks. I'm trying to make a lifestyle change. Boy, will I miss Kung Pao Chicken.

Anyway, my question is, how do you guys deal with the hunger? MFP has me eating about 1,500 calories a day and that's apparently way less than I'm used to. So I eat well enough, but am always hungry. I'm sure eventually I will get used to it and my appetite will shrink (at least, I sure hope so!) but in the meantime I am having such hunger and cravings!

Replies

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Coffee.
    Find other interests.
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I believe that 1500 is the minimum calories for men. You may be eating too little. How did you determine that this is the correct cals/day for you? What's your age, height, and starting weight? Are you getting in any activity and do you eat back any of your exercise cals?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You don't list your stats, but I suspect you could eat a bit more each day and still lose. I'm 5'9", 175 pounds and currently losing on 1930 calories per day.

I use a food scale and weigh and log everything to be sure I am actually eating 1930.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    1,500 seems too low. When you first started MFP, did you tell it you wanted to lose 1 or 2 pounds per week? If you put 2, it gave you a 1,000 calorie deficit which may have put you at 1,500 per day. I would change it to 1 or 1.5 pounds a week loss. Go to Home > Goals > Edit Daily Nutrition Goals.

ETA: I am a 5'6 female and can lose on 1750 cals/day.
  • luciroo
    luciroo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    1500 may be on the lowish side for you - what is your height/weight and how many pounds/week to lose did you set? I am a 51 year old female, 5'5", current weight around 129 and eat an average of 1600 per day and am losing. It may be better to up your calories and lose slower - it is more sustainable. I think too many people stop dieting or gain back weight because they eat lower calories to lose faster, then get so freaking tired of being hungry they give up.
  • frankie_xox
    frankie_xox Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    What do you have your weight loss rate set to? If you have it set to 2 pounds per week, you could set it to 1.5 or 1 pound per week and you'll be given more calories to work with while still eating at a deficit. If it's already at 1 pound per week, then you may need to research some more calorie-dense foods that will help you feel fuller longer (more fat/protein/fiber can keep you feeling fuller longer). I'm sure others will have some suggestions for food ideas!

Also: http://www.skinnytaste.com/kung-pao-chicken-zoodles-for-two/
    I know this isn't as good as take out, but there are lots of lower calorie/make at home recipes that you can try to still get the flavours you enjoy :) I've actually made this recipe several times and it's quite tasty!
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    The first 2 weeks is really hard. Once your body get's over that hump it will adjust. Try to stick to lot's of veggies,oatmeal. Basically filler foods that are low cal. Oh ya & lot's of H20.....
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    @diannethegeek Your answers are always so awesome. I'm always excited to see what you add to the conversation.
  • yoyeen1981
    yoyeen1981 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Water. Drink a lot through the day and it really does keep you full.

I've found that I'm a huge portion person, too.

I always feel "cheated" when what I'm eating looks small. So I've added a lot more veggies to my diet. If I have some lean chicken and rice for dinner, I still feel hungry. But if I add in some steamed veggies (green beans or broccoli usually), the dinner looks bigger and the veggies keep me full.

We like to do Whopper Wednesdays, but if I get just one Whopper (670 calories) for dinner, I feel hungry afterward. Instead, I get two Whopper Jrs (600 calories) and I visually see two is more than one and it makes me feel better.

Maybe I'm just easy to fool, lol.

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I agree with @diannethegeek. I would also say that if you are used to eating larger quantities you can try volume eating. I think there is some fancy diet called volumetrics, but the basics of it is to eat large quantities of lower calorie foods and very small treats. For example, I could eat one piece of toast with butter, or I could eat two pieces of plain toast.

When I need a big meal I'll eat like 3-4 cups of broccoli and a 4oz piece of chicken. This fills me up, but doesn't necessarily satisfy my sweet tooth or cravings. I'll used the calories I saved on a nice beer or some chocolate.
  • jattardi
    jattardi Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I believe that 1500 is the minimum calories for men. You may be eating too little. How did you determine that this is the correct cals/day for you? What's your age, height, and starting weight? Are you getting in any activity and do you eat back any of your exercise cals?

These were the values that MFP gave me. I'm 34, 5'7", and my starting weight was 254. I go to the gym 2-3 days a week and usually burn about 350-400 calories (10 miles on a stationary bike and some weights).
  • jattardi
    Options
    Kitship wrote: »
    1,500 seems too low. When you first started MFP, did you tell it you wanted to lose 1 or 2 pounds per week? If you put 2, it gave you a 1,000 calorie deficit which may have put you at 1,500 per day. I would change it to 1 or 1.5 pounds a week loss. Go to Home > Goals > Edit Daily Nutrition Goals.

ETA: I am a 5'6 female and can lose on 1750 cals/day.

I said 2 lbs/week. I know it might be a lot, but I am so sick of being fat.
  • jattardi
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, everyone! I will keep up the fight!
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at it? Have you been dropping weight consistently? You could try, for a couple weeks, adding 100-200 cals/day and see if you are still losing.

Also, it took me awhile to realize that hunger between meals is normal. I used to NEVER feel hungry because I was always eating large meals and snacking in between. Our bodies are meant to feel those hunger signals. It was distressing to me the first few weeks, now I've learned to appreciate that feeling. It means what I am doing is working. I'm eating as planned, upping my activity, and losing at a steady, healthy pace.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I typically ramp down my calories when i transition from bulking to cutting phases. Looks like you've been bulking for the past few years so we're in about the same spot. Go back to maintenance for a couple days and then slowly ramp down 100 calories a day or whatever.

I always shoot for 2lbs a week too. You just need to fill your stomach up-- veggies, water, or anything with lots of volume for lower calories.

There's also a lot of "diets' or protocols you can follow that could help, could make things worse. You have to try them out though. I like intermittent fasting.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    While I understand just wanting to get rid of it (I started at a higher weight than you), making a transition into eating in a way that you can handle is just as important. And I don't mean cutting out foods/food groups/etc, I just mean eating less of the foods you want to eat. It may be worth going to 1.5 or 1lb a week at first to assist with that.
    Log your food as accurately as possible, and take a look at it to really see where there are areas you could trim, and other areas where you could add. And basically just see @diannethegeek s posts. :smiley:
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Also: http://www.skinnytaste.com/kung-pao-chicken-zoodles-for-two/
    I know this isn't as good as take out, but there are lots of lower calorie/make at home recipes that you can try to still get the flavours you enjoy :) I've actually made this recipe several times and it's quite tasty!

That's one of my favorite recipes.
  • itsmemaringle
    itsmemaringle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Have you checked for hypothyroidism? If I don't take my pills I literally cannot eat enough, my body needs more.
    Also check what you are eating, is your body getting nourishment from what you are eating? Or is it empty calories? Are your macros on target?
    And as always drink water- 2-3 litres each day. I find if I don't drink 2 litres my weight sticks ☹ good luck et us know how you get on