Protein bar suggestions?

Options

Replies

• Timimbo
    Timimbo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of Quest Bars myself. They have reformulated the recipe and they are better than the original. I am drawn to the macros and ratios. Low in sugar, too! A tad on the pricey end tho.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I think Quest bars taste like chalk...and they're heavy, feel like a brick inside my stomach... I NEED some sort of liquid to choke it down! Pure Protein is the cheapest and best as far as macros go. I do not want a bar higher than 200 cals and the highest one in the Pure Protein multipack is 200 (the other 2 are 190 and 180) and they have 20g to 21g of protein. That is way better than most I've seen (and believe me I've looked!!) and they taste like candy bars!
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Ringer1022 wrote: »
    I actually like the Pure Protein bars. 20g of Protein for 210 or less calories per bar. The caramel peanut tastes like a candy bar and is my FAVORITE :D

I've tried several Quest bars and thought they were simply awful

I just basically wrote and posted the same thing before going back and reading the thread, LOL!
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    FitCrunch bars are my go to. 16 grams of protein for like 190 calories. I like some of the qwest bars but they changed something and are not as good as they were before.

Pure Protein = 20 - 21g of Protein for about the same calories... there's range from 180 - 200 cals
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I think Quest bars taste like chalk...and they're heavy, feel like a brick inside my stomach... I NEED some sort of liquid to choke it down! Pure Protein is the cheapest and best as far as macros go. I do not want a bar higher than 200 cals and the highest one in the Pure Protein multipack is 200 (the other 2 are 190 and 180) and they have 20g to 21g of protein. That is way better than most I've seen (and believe me I've looked!!) and they taste like candy bars!

To me, those Pure Protein bars had a bad aftertaste to them.
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah victory bars!!!!!! - 200 cals - 21 grams protein - nothing artificial and 8 grams of sugar, I cannot find another protein bar that competes with this, it is a winner.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Whatever you buy, keep an eye on the sugar content. Some "nutrition" bars have a lot. A chocolate Clif bar has 23 grams - nearly 6 teaspoons (about 4g/tsp). Pure and Quest bars are low in sugar. So are PowerCrunch - I like their caramel. I'm not a fan of the Atkins diet, but since its mantra is low-carb, its bars are low sugar. Their chocolate caramel nut roll isn't bad.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    JanetMMcC wrote: »
    Whatever you buy, keep an eye on the sugar content. Some "nutrition" bars have a lot. A chocolate Clif bar has 23 grams - nearly 6 teaspoons (about 4g/tsp). Pure and Quest bars are low in sugar. So are PowerCrunch - I like their caramel. I'm not a fan of the Atkins diet, but since its mantra is low-carb, its bars are low sugar. Their chocolate caramel nut roll isn't bad.

And since I usually only eat one when I'm in a time crunch before a workout or right after, I prefer it have some sugar... The more the merrier is my mantra.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    I have no reason to worry about sugar, I'm not diabetic... sugar doesn't make you gain weight, eatingtoo many calories does...
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    the American Heart Association recommends 6 teaspoons of sugar (100 calories) per day for women
    9 teaspoons of sugar (150 calories) per day for men. Refined sugar is okay when you don't over do it.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I have no reason to worry about sugar, I'm not diabetic... sugar doesn't make you gain weight, eatingtoo many calories does...

heresy
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options

heresy

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but I'd rather have my sugar in something else ... like really good chocolate. :) And if you have a Clif chocolate bar, there goes your entire 6 tsp sugar. :smile:
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I like B-Up bars a lot more than new formula Quest bars. In particular, the cinnamon roll, peanut butter, and mint chocolate flavours are great. The only one I wouldn't buy again is the chocolate chip cookie dough, which was very bland. If you order directly from Yup (manufacturer) they are super soft and fresh!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    MusclePharm Combat Crunch.

210 Cal - 7F / 25C (7f) / 20P

All delicious.

I agree with this. Love the Combat Crunch. If you're just introducing them into your diet it's worth giving them a weigh on the food scale...apparently they're all 10 to 15g heavier than the package states.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    If you are a costco member, they are featuring the zone perfect 24 unit cases for $12 this month ($0.50/bar) - just fudge graham and peanut butter/chocolate (14g protein, 210 calories each) though.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered Simply Protein bars and they're super tasty, and give you more protein for less calories than all the other bars I compared them to. I'm in Canada so I have no idea if they're sold elsewhere in the world or not
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
  • sthome925
    sthome925 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars - 170 calories, 20g Protein, 6 g Sugar (includes sugar alcohols)
    Pure Protein - 180 calories, 21 g Protein, 3 g Sugar (includes sugar alcohols)
    Think Thin - 240 calories, 20 g Protein, 12 g Sugar (includes sugar alcohols)
    Simple Truth - 190 calories, 21 g Protein, 7 g Sugar
    Zone Perfect - 200 calories, 14 g Protein, 16 g Sugar
    Cliff Builder's - 270 calories, 20 g Protein, 20 g Sugar
  • babycatchfire
    babycatchfire Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

so good !