Carb Addict!!

Options
2»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    Options
    When I was new to weight loss I had a big carb habit, too. I tried to control it, but for me it is easier to just not start than it is to try to have one slice of peanut butter toast or whatever. Some foods were trigger foods for me. Definitely white bread and peanut butter. I stopped buying white bread or white crackers and peanut butter for a long time. Now I can have peanut butter in the house, but I still don't buy my trigger carb snack foods unless I accept that I'll eat the whole package in two days.

I really had to stop eating them at all for a while. There just isn't room in a low-calorie plan for empty nutrition-less calories. Now that I've lost the weight, I allow myself to have some of these trigger foods on occasion, but not every day. Maybe once a week or once every other week. For me it was about gaining some control over the rest of my nutrition, and learning how to get enough protein and fat FIRST. Then if there is room for carbs, I can have some.

I had to come to the realization that it was/is more important to me to remain at a healthy weight than it is for me to have two minutes of pleasure whenever I feel like it. Once I start with treats, it's much harder to stop. It's easier to just say no. Discipline and self-control are their own rewards now.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    A piece of toast with peanut butter is usually going to have more calories from fat than carbs.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    A piece of toast with peanut butter is usually going to have more calories from fat than carbs.

Very possible. It could go both ways going by the "checked" entries in MFP. In any case, I think the key is to identify foods with which you (not 'you' specifically, but 'you' generally) have trouble moderating. Carbs could be a factor, but fat and salt or some combination of foods could also be the issue. I think it is wise to invest some effort and thought into determining your problem foods and starting there. If you are having issues moderating, it's ok to cut out foods cold turkey. It is not a forgone conclusion that you will binge, but it is possible. I find that planning and having different options available has helped me tremendously.
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    EAT THE CARBS!!! THE CARBS COMPEL YOU TO EATS THEM!!

If your problem is mindless snacking, try chewing gum or drinking flavored fizzy water. If you find yourself hungry right after eating, you a) might not be eating enough or b) might need more fat or protein. Also adjust your meal times to fit your hunger cycles. For instance, I'm always hungry at 4pm no matter what, so I can either snack or just eat dinner early and have something small (ie, DESSERT) if I get hungry later. Generally if I'm hungry at 7pm though I can just check my calorie log and I'll find I'm still like 300+ calories under my minimum daily target. Which means I NEED TO EAT DELICIOUS CARBY DESSERT!!!

I did the VLC thing for 3 years and while yeah I lost weight for a bit, eventually I had other problems, and ultimately gained all the weight back. For the first time in my life I ignored the horrible advice from my family (my dad is a doctor even and was pushing me to take supplements and do fad diets, I srsly don't even understand), and did the research, and the research has been true for 100+ years, it doesn't matter what you eat, it's how much. I wish I would have known that when I was a teenager struggling with my weight. Alas.

Minimizing carbs can be helpful if you have metabolic challenges, but, interesting thing, most studies showing LC and VLC diets as being effective for diabetes could not show it was exclusively because of the carbs -- other studies that compared diets showed that creating the calorie deficit and overall weight loss was the best treatment for diabetes.

That said, we are all special snowflakes, so do what seems to work best for you. I personally shoot for 40/40 carbs/fat and 20% protein. Too many carbs and I'm hungry and snacky all the time, too little carbs and I'm freezing cold and tired.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I don't do so well with carbs.

I found low carb alternatives to bread to be very important to me during the first week or so, until the cravings (mostly) stopped.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Very possible. It could go both ways going by the "checked" entries in MFP. In any case, I think the key is to identify foods with which you (not 'you' specifically, but 'you' generally) have trouble moderating.

Definitely agree with this, and then figure out a strategy depending on the foods (and in many cases the context in which they are overeaten, which can be more important). It's just a pet peeve that foods that happen to be tasty/overeaten get called "carbs" even when they have nearly as much or (as here) more fat.
  • mamakate2kh
    mamakate2kh Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've done good at staying in my calorie range .. I've just noticed I have a lot of carby foods .. I will have to try some of your suggestions...I'll definitely be picking up some gum to munch on instead of eating.. Hopefuly that will help