Rewarding progress

Options
Would you suggest a hard-earned beer as a reward to a successfully recovered alcoholic?

Remember that your rewards should be about reinforcing good habits! If you're a chronic overeater, your reward for following your diet should not be extra food. If you're struggling with a low-carb plan, your reward for sticking to it should not be a loaf of bread. Instead, try rewarding yourself with money. Take the $6 you would have spent on Starbucks and put to towards that expensive luxury protien powder you've been dying to try, or a flashy new set of athletic wear. Try and come up with a system where every good choice will build towards more good choices in the future.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I've got my eyes on a set of carbon fiber wheels for my bike as a reward for losing about 85 lbs. Bike frames are strong, but wheels suffer under heavy riders. When I was 300 lbs it would have been like burning cash to stay warm, but at 215 lbs and still dropping, I'll get years out of them. Really nice gear is such a treat. :)
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    This is a fantastic reminder. Food rewards never seem right. But I always have such a hard time figuring out just exactly I'm "crushing" on that would be a good reward. If I want/need something I am not one to wait. So what do you reward yourself when you hit success. I'd love to see more ideas (besides carbon wheels and protein powder).
  • nicole3921
    nicole3921 Posts: 97 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    When I reach my first "big" goal (7 more lbs) totally getting a mani/pedi. As for my over all goal... I have not quite decided what my reward will be. One step at a time
  • chaney3000
    chaney3000 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I haven't thought about any rewards.

I'm getting some tats so I guess you can call them rewards.
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, I think losing the weight and toning up and looking fantastic is reward enough!
  • krystal193
    krystal193 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I never thought about getting rewarded for reaching my goals until someone on MFP told me about Bounts. It's a FREE reward program provides an extra challenge/incentive for me to meet my goal on a daily basis.
    1. Track your steps and exercise to qualify for Bounts points and credits.
    2. Save your Bounts points and redeem them for gift cards.
    3. Use your credits for the Reward Wheel and spin to win bonus points and prizes.
    4. There are additional challenges too, like “Log 7,000 steps for 5 days this week and earn 20 bonus points!”

Please inbox me and let me know if you decide to sign up. I’d love to help you keep focused… and maybe get a few reminders in return. lol
    You can add me on MFP and if you have a Fitbit you can send me a Fitbit friend request.
    And you can also add me as a friend on Bounts. If you use the referral code Chastain1335 at www.Bounts.it when you sign up you will get 100 points after you do your first activity.
  • sc487
    sc487 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    jlemoore wrote: »
    This is a fantastic reminder. Food rewards never seem right. But I always have such a hard time figuring out just exactly I'm "crushing" on that would be a good reward. If I want/need something I am not one to wait. So what do you reward yourself when you hit success. I'd love to see more ideas (besides carbon wheels and protein powder).

At 50 lbs (half way) I want to get a kick bag and stand to use it in my garage. At 100 lbs I am going to shoot for an Apple Watch

• gamsmith05
    gamsmith05 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome idea that really just put it in perspective with analogy. After big milestones, I usually celebrate with a large steak, or greasy cheeseburger and fries, then hate myself afterward when I have to work hard for three more days just to get back to where I was. Will definitely keep this in mind as incentives.
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    jlemoore wrote: »
    I'd love to see more ideas (besides carbon wheels and protein powder).

I just bought a few pieces from some of Beyonce's new IVY PARK athleticwear collection as a treat for maintaining weight/gaining muscle for a month :3 I think clothing is always a great reward, you get to more fully enjoy your progress by showing off how good you look and feel.
  • Nausicca55
    Nausicca55 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This is a VERY good point. That is one of my biggest problems, rewarding/celebrating with food. I even have such asinine thoughts as "I have a day off tomorrow, I'll go get Wendy's for dinner to celebrate!" Really need to find something else!
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Nausicca55 wrote: »
    This is a VERY good point. That is one of my biggest problems, rewarding/celebrating with food. I even have such asinine thoughts as "I have a day off tomorrow, I'll go get Wendy's for dinner to celebrate!" Really need to find something else!

I do exactly the same thing, or my instant response to someone I love being sad is always "I'll take you out for dinner/I'll cook you something delicious". No no no.