Bragging on myself a little bit.

Options
I joined MFP on June 17th, 2013. That day, I also joined a group, 30 lbs in 90 days 2013.

I started walking that day. First 3 miles, then 4, then 5. The past 3 days, I've walked 6.2 miles (10K), at about 3.5 miles per hour. I get up at 5:30 am, stretch, and go.

As of this morning, I have lost 10 lbs. In less than 20 days. I know a lot of it has to do with water loss, and a lot has to do with the fact that I've lived a very sedentary life since I left the military in 2000, and my body is simply happy to be moving! This is a big deal for me, though.

I left the military, due to injuries received during training. I could no longer run, without losing feeling in my legs. I pretty much thought I was done being physical. I was also a light smoker, about 1/3 of a pack per day.

Two years ago, my teenage son moved in with me, and asked me to quit smoking. That was it. Done smoking, but still overweight and in poor physical shape. Two months ago, I started eating better, and went from 225 to 215. Now, I'm at 205, and still going!

I can't express just how grateful I am to the many people in my life who are supporting me in becoming healthier. As well, to the people on MFP who are so inspirational.

Wednesday, I joined a gym, and have begun adding weight lifting and strength training to my exercise regime.

I'm done with making excuses for my weight. I'm done laughing at myself, in order to prevent other people from laughing at me. I'm making a new me, and I just wanted whoever reads this to know it, because I'm proud of myself. I'm proud of all the people here, who are also doing what they have to, to better themselves.

Thanks!

Replies

• RockClimber69
    RockClimber69 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Proud of you too! Awesome job!
  • booker2shoes
    booker2shoes Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You've made amazing steps toward a healthier lifestyle. I love that you've made this journey about being healthy and a good role model for your son. Quitting smoking is SUPER tough, even for a light smoker. You're a great role model for all of us :-) Keep it up!!:drinker: javascript:add_smiley('drinker','post_body')
  • amydelissa
    amydelissa Posts: 26
    Options
    There's reason to be proud!! You're doing a wonderful job!
  • russbittles
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    What an achievement! :)
  • pghtrader
    pghtrader Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Awesome work! I'm glad to have joined the same time as you. Seeing your progress on a regular basis helps to keep me motivated. Way to go man!
  • russbittles
    Options
    Again, thank you!
  • DUCKIEGYRL
    DUCKIEGYRL Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Nice
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! You are very motivating to me to get up get moving more!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for making positive changes to your life! I bet your son is proud. =)
  • audra0831
    audra0831 Posts: 244
    Options
    Great post! Thanks for sharing! You're doing a wonderful job! :)
  • russbittles
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

My son hasn't seen me since he went to NC to visit his mom for the summer. That was the beginning of June. When he gets back in a month, I want to have lost another 10+ lbs, and really shock him at the airport!

I'm going to need new jeans!
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    hey brother your right behnind me...popped the 200 weight bogey two days ago...keep going..get stronger..
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You should be proud! Keep going and shock the heck out of your son when he sees you next. If you need another friend add me.
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    not much feels better than success, keep it up and great job.
  • hodie23
    hodie23 Posts: 16
    Options
    What a great example for your son. I'm proud of your progress. I have found MFP to be a great help as well and keeps me accountable. I always look forward to seeing how everyone is moving towards their weight loss goals.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    awe:) that was such a nice post. sooooo happy for you!!!
  • ajominy
    ajominy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You definitely should be proud of yourself and should brag. Fantastic job!! Keep up the great work!
  • lcantrell65
    lcantrell65 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, and you should certainly be proud. And kudos to your son for having the courage to ask you to make this positive change in your life. Good luck with your next 10 lbs, and have fun shopping for those new jeans!
  • CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Nice work! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!