trying to stop the onset of Type 2 Diabetes!

Options
Hiya, Uk based late 30s and worried about type 2 diabetes as it runs in the family

The good news I'm not at my heaviest, I used my fitness pal a few years back!

I like MFP as it helps to hold me accountable for my choices. Not saying I'll be perfect but overall I want to reduce my weight by eating less and moving more!

So add me as a friend if you want support but also will help encourage me :-)

Replies

• R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Morning!
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Hi! Are you looking into specific diets to help the diabetes issue? Or are you just hoping to prevent it with general weight loss?
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    Options
    Just trying to prevent it with weight loss and exercise. A client discussed it with me recently and did mention how low carbs is meant to help. Also have read about very low calorie diets for couple months can actually reverse it.
  • jodielariviere66
    jodielariviere66 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good for you getting on this issue early - I'm only taking it seriously now, at 50! My sis and my dad both have it, and I'm hoping to avoid it. :)
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    Options
    Thanks, I do worry a lot plus I'm an apple shape so most my weight in on my middle which I know is really bad
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Yeah that is supposed to be the worst shape for health reasons for women.. I am on low carb and I have also read a lot about the effect it can have on diabetes, but I'm not going to preach to you. I would recommend you research it if you find it interesting though.. I'm not sure how a really low calorie diet could reverse it apart from the fact that losing weight is one of the biggest impacts you can have with Diabetes and losing the weight quicker would happen on an extra low cal diet. However, if you haven't got it and just want to prevent it, I see no reason why a slow weight loss on cals wouldn't be fine!! Good luck! There's lots of support on here :)