Fiber FREAK!

Options
Okay, I'm a self-proclaimed Fiber Freak. I want a friggin' t-shirt of it. My friends all know my addiction to fiber, and laugh that I can't go a single day without consuming copious amounts of fiber. I initially started in high school just because of the "weight loss" aspect (which, ya know...should be taken with a grain of salt) but when I realized how good it made by body feel- I just couldn't stop! Fiber, to me, is my most important part of my day. I think if everyone consumed enough, we would have less cranky people out there :laugh:

Any other fiber obsessed people out there? And know any super high fiber foods that don't taste like crap? (Let's just say...Fiber One sticks and twigs are not quite my view of awesomeness). I'm talking 'bout something like beans or edamame! Always out to expand my fiber repertoire

Replies

• neuro_nut
    neuro_nut Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Me! Meee!!!
    Love avocado... healthy fats and fiber, what could be better?
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have serious IBS issues. I need to get like 30 grams of fiber a day so as not to have issues. Here are some of my favorite ways:

Turkey Chili with beans - I like Hormel and I usually add frozen spinach or frozen peppers and onions.
    Kashi Go Lean cereal has 9grams of fiber
    Trader Joes has a lot of items that they call "fiberful" which have 9grams of fiber. I love the granola bars

Endamame
    Double Fiber wheat bread
    Flax Seed (although you need to watch how much you use if raw and should be ground)

I also mix high fiber cereals with others that have only 5 grams of fiber, so 1/2 and 1/2 this helps make the cereal more tasty. I also find that the fiber one cereals or bran cereals are tastier when they are mushy. I know weird, but it works for me.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Raspberries are full of fiber. Delicious real food with fiber...can't get better than that!
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    All types of berries and broccoli. I like fiber one products. Careful, around like 80 grams plus fiber starts to become an issue though.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I don't do it deliberately, however I'm usually way over my fiber minimum. I love fruit, and I'm making an effort to eat my veggies. Also, I aim for a serving of legumes every day. Since it just happens, I don't need to eat double fiber anything. Black beans and red beans, the small ones, not kidney beans, seem to be particularly high in fiber, but I like them all. Since I have a problem with gluten, I often use beans in place of things like bread. They're much more filling than wheat or potatoes.

One thing I do is use an inulin supplement, not for the soluble fiber, for the hypothetical prebiotic function of feeding healthy gut microbiota.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds - 2 tbs. have 10g of fiber. They don't have any flavor of their own so you can add them to anything

http://www.eatingbirdfood.com/2011/08/why-eat-chia-seeds/
  • primalpam
    primalpam Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Soynuts
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    vegetables, fruits, nuts, whole grains. I average 40 g a day, but I don't consider that freaky. I don't even really strive for it. It just happens when you eat veggies, whole grains and nuts.
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I just have to say, I'm so proud of my fellow fiber freaks out there!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:

And you all brought up a great point--I NEVER seem to count all the fiber in fruits! I always kind of ignore it because they're so delicious! But never quite realized how much fiber I can get from them (downing some blueberries as we speak!)

And I too suffer from GI problems (well...not anymore thanks to fiber) and literally I don't know what I would have done without this magical creation from nature! :P

Cheers to a group of MFP "regulars" hahaha!