Calories adjusting to weight loss?

Options
So, I've been at this routinely now for 26 full days. I started with MFP and I intend to end with it. So far, so good. But I was wondering, as I lose the weight, do I go back to my settings and enter that weight loss to recalculate my daily caloric goal, or does it adjust for me as I am losing the weight? So far, after 13lbs of loss, it's not adjusted. Aren't I supposed to gain or lose calories (I mean my daily goal) according to my height and weight and activity level?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    It doesn't re-adjust for you. Updating is a good idea.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You should be recalculating your calories after every 10lbs. Also, as you lose you should be lowering your deficit as well.
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options
    Mine recalculated as I inputted my weight. It reduced my cals as a doing well present lol
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are on 1200 cals, MFP won't lower them, if you are higher it should prompt you every 10 lbs to adjust.
  • judilockwood
    judilockwood Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    A bit confused cos I started on 1200 calories a day and readjusted my goals after every 10 lbs but its still 1200... I guess 1200 is MFP's lowest calorie requirement. My problem now is that nearly at my goal, what will happen when I start eating more and how many calories do I go to for maintenance - I don't want to ruin all my hard work.. x
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    A bit confused cos I started on 1200 calories a day and readjusted my goals after every 10 lbs but its still 1200... I guess 1200 is MFP's lowest calorie requirement. My problem now is that nearly at my goal, what will happen when I start eating more and how many calories do I go to for maintenance - I don't want to ruin all my hard work.. x

The closer you get to your goal the smaller your weekly loss goal should be. so if you are now at 1lb/week, change to 0.5 lbs/week this will give you more cals, then when you get to goal weight add in 100 cals to your diet every couple of weeks until you get to your maintenance intake
  • judilockwood
    judilockwood Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks x
  • StaticNomad
    Options
    Thanks all. I adjusted and all is well now. :)
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm on medically supervised weight loss of 50 grams of net carbs and 100+ grams of protein and 1000 calories a day. MFP won't set you under 1200 but you can go to your goals under settings and change it. Just a word of caution, no one should be under 1200 calories a day unless they are closely medically supervised.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I started and am still at 1350. I have lost 30 since march and haven't adjusted yet. I have no plans to go lower unless I just stall for a long time, only 10 or so pounds left for me to lose.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You slowly increase calories when you are ready for maintenance. Add 100 calories a day and use that for 2 weeks and see if you are still gaining or losing? If losing, add another hundred and repeat the process. It's trial and error or everyone because everyone's body is different and the amount of activity, age, gender and all that play into it as well. The big thing is to stay with your healthy eating and don't go back to junk and fast food.
  • lesliefb
    lesliefb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The thing that I don't like about how MFP works, related to the original question, is that when you lower your calorie goal it shows all your previous entries as being over. So if you start at 1500, eat 1500 calories that day, then the next week change your goal to 1300, when you go back to that 1500 day it will look like you ate 300 calories more than you should have. Or if you bump it up to compensate for more exercise, it will look like you're not eating enough.

Either way, it's a good rule of thumb to readjust or at least review your settings at least once a month or every 10 lbs.
  • lesliefb
    lesliefb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You slowly increase calories when you are ready for maintenance. Add 100 calories a day and use that for 2 weeks and see if you are still gaining or losing? If losing, add another hundred and repeat the process. It's trial and error or everyone because everyone's body is different and the amount of activity, age, gender and all that play into it as well. The big thing is to stay with your healthy eating and don't go back to junk and fast food.

Most people stop losing at a certain point, so they may not need to increase calories at all.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS update every 5-10 pounds lost. Or you will be eating too many calories and it will cause you to plateau.