Weight loss from calorie deficit and exercise?

Options
Hi everyone

I am eating 1200 cals a day at the moment and I go to the gym every day and burn over 500 calories on the cardio machines (usually elliptical and row machine.) I know those calories are estimated but thats a rough idea. I also do between 16,000 and 20,000 steps each day according to my iPhone health app. That normally gets between 400-650ish calories on MFP app. So most days I burn over 1000 calories if that info is accurate.

If I have a bad day and have 1300-1500 cals instead of 1200, is it going to have a big impact on my weight loss? My aim was to lose 2 pounds a week and I've been doing that easily each week so far. It's just all of a sudden I am so hungry all the time, I'm not sure if it's good for your body to feel hungry and obviously it isn't nice for me either but I'm worried about sabotaging my weight loss. I drink loads and I am eating very healthy, protein and all the good stuff! I wonder if working out every day is making me more hungry.

I know that 3,500 calories burned weekly would make for a 1lb weight loss per week. Can those burned calories come from both deficit and exercising? I've been reading so much about weight loss and exercising and calories for the past few weeks that I think I've just confused myself.

Current stats if it helps:
Sex: female
Height: 5,5
Weight: 62kg/137lb (haven't weighed myself for 2 weeks so I probably weigh slightly less now)

According to healthstatus.com I should eat
2261cals to stay the same
1761cals to lose 1lb per week
1261cals to lose 2lb per week

Thanks everyone

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Exercise will add to your calorie deficit, and corrcet correct logging and consistency has the greatest impact on your weight loss.

Lol at not being able to spell "correct" :D
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Exercise adds to your overall calorie burn. If you continue to eat the same calorie level as when you don't exercise, your deficit gets larger.

At your current weight though, you should be aiming for around 0.5-1 lb per week and there is a recommendation for no more than 1% of your body weight per week (that's 1.3 lbs for you).

Being hungry all the time is most likely because your deficit is too large for what you have to lose. Too large of a deficit can result in losing lean body mass (muscles, ect), can be hard to sustain, and can lead to a binge.