Vegetarian health

Options
nutrikim
nutrikim Posts: 2 Member
edited April 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Are there any vegetarians out there finding it easy to get enough protein and nutrients without having to take suppliments?

Replies

• mercy7889
    mercy7889 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I have no problem getting in protein. I eat eggs for lunch and dinner, but instead of having 2 whole eggs, I have one whole egg and add egg whites. I use 100% White Egg Beaters for my additional egg whites. I do not really eat beans too much (I love them though) because I get incredibly gassy and bloated. I eat lots of raw almonds. Also, there is a protein powder called Spirutein-it's made of soy beans, pea powder and other plants; it's absolutely delicious. I also eat green peas which are protein packed! I do not really consume too much dairy-just dairy in my coffee and also when I'm craving sweets such as cookies and ice cream. Chobani makes me super bloated-dairy yogurt in general makes me inflate like a balloon!
  • jennamae102
    jennamae102 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I fluxuate eating veg from time to time...currently I am eating that way. Some greek yogurt brands have a lot of protein (my current favorite is Siggi's, always more protein than sugar). I have hummus & veggies, nuts, cheese, beans, avocado etc to make sure I'm getting enough protein and feeling satiated. I add chia seeds & greek yogurt to my smoothies.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Beans, quinoa, skim milk, chickpeas. Easy to get enough if you eat right.
    Sedentary woman needs at least 46 grams protein a day.
    My goal is 70 grams of protein.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan who only supplements protein occasionally. Most of my protein comes from beans, grains, tofu, tempeh, vegetables, and seitan.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's pretty easy once you know how.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm also a vegan and I supplement protein, but my goals are ridiculously high (around 1.2 grams per lb of lean mass), so that's a personal choice based on my activity and workout routines. Other than that, a multi vitamin is about it.

I find nothing about my diet difficult unless I'm in some place like Wyoming, where everything is apparently made of wild game, which can make it more difficult to find food for myself.

Other than that, it's pretty easy overall, but then again, I've been doing this for over a decade and have always and still educate myself on what my body needs and nutrition.

*edited to correct some errant punctuation.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I don't take any protein supplements (powders, bars, etc). If you eat dairy and eggs it's should be pretty easy to get enough protein. I don't like yogurt, eggs, or cow's milk and I don't often eat cheese. You also shouldn't have problems getting enough nutrients if you're eating balanced healthy meals with a variety of vegetables and fruits. I can send you some recipes if you need ideas.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    In the absolute strictest sense, I am a pescatarian, as I will eat some form of seafood or fish once in a blue moon. But most of the time, I am what a vegan friend refers to as "vegan-ish." I consume very little dairy and while I eat eggs, I've never been a big egg eater (and will only eat eggs from chickens I know). I admit to struggling to get anywhere near "enough" protein. "Enough" being what MFP says I should be getting. That being said, if I'm eating well and being mindful, I'm not starving or feeling poorly, so I'm not really sure how the math works that I'm supposed to get quite so much. I feel like to hit the numbers MFP gives me, I'd have to eat beans, nuts, and tofu all day.