So... sodium

Options
Today I had a passing thought... I probably should keep track of the amount of sodium I eat. I mean, how bad could it be, right? i don't add salt to stuff usually, but I might as well track it, just to make sure.

So, I turned on sodium tracking in my daily reports, and ...

HOLY COW!

I was absolutely stunned, as I look back through my food diaries, at the amount there is in so much of what I've been eating -- even some of what I assumed were "healthier options." Well, that's an eye-opener, for sure!

At least now I can start paying attention to yet another element of my daily intake!

Learning this nutrition stuff is definitely a process, for sure! (And, even though there are these surprises along the way, it's great to be learning so much about how this stuff all works!)

Replies

• mikemsu
    mikemsu Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I track the sodium as well. Have learned sooooo much on here I never realized about food. I am trying to eat as much non processed food as possible and read all labels to find the the most nutritious and lowest sodium foods I can. It takes a lot of time shopping, but is well worth it! Good luck on your journey.
  • joe_d
    joe_d Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's really a bummer just how much sodium is in things, especially processed foods. And restaurants--don't even get me started with that one. As a recovering sodiumaholic, the only positive thing I can tell you is it seems that even at my old age it's possible to eat things with much less salt and still enjoy them. I cook with very little salt these days, but use lots of different spices and salt-free blends that make stuff interesting. It's a battle, though.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    There is an alarmingly high amount of sodium in foods. A 6 inch turkey sandwich from Subway is 1000 mg sodium. This is 2/3 of my daily allotment (folks with BP issues should keep it under 1500 mg/day). It's hard to keep the Na under 2500 mg/day (daily recommended allowance for regular folk). It's sad to read a label and have to put the food back on the grocery store shelf because the sodium or sugar is through the roof.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    That's one of those things that varies from person to person. I used to get headaches when I would be outdoors sweating for too long and those suckers were pill-proof... eating extra sodium on those days keeps them at bay now. On the flip side, there are also people who need to keep it down for heart health and other reasons. The number MFP gives is considered to be solid for most people though.