How Many Calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    You need to adjust your calories as you lose weight. Simple: lower body mass requires fewer calories. I would also change your exercise routine --if you typically do just cardio, add strength training. Try HIIT. Mix it up. I would increase protein, reduce carbohydrates.

I can't reduce carbs any further without totally eliminating vegetables :) i also mix my work out routine up pretty regularly. My body mass is still very appropriate for my current calorie intake. I'll definitely keep adjusting as I go.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    You need to adjust your calories as you lose weight. Simple: lower body mass requires fewer calories. I would also change your exercise routine --if you typically do just cardio, add strength training. Try HIIT. Mix it up. I would increase protein, reduce carbohydrates.

If her body mass requires fewer calories, why drop carbs specifically? Why not protein? Or fat? Why is it always carbs? Additionally, if she increases protein by as much as she decreases carbs, the net effect on her calories will be 0, as they both have the same number of calories per gram.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You lost weight eating more, well that's just jammy :smiley: I would say keep eating at that amount unless you find you're not losing again. I love hearing about people losing and eating a decent amount of calories :smiley:
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My take on this is that water is denser and heavier than fat. We don't lose our fat cells when we are at a calorie deficit but we do lose the light-weight fat that fills them. Water then fills the cells. Since water takes up less space and is heavier, we lose inches but not weight. When we suddenly eat more calories than we use, the water in our fat cells goes "whoosh" and they fill up with lighter fat. We suddenly lose weight.

My advice is to keep an eye on the scale and cut back again only as needed to stay successful.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

If her body mass requires fewer calories, why drop carbs specifically? Why not protein? Or fat? Why is it always carbs? Additionally, if she increases protein by as much as she decreases carbs, the net effect on her calories will be 0, as they both have the same number of calories per gram.

I don't care if you eat carbs, why do you care if I dont? For the record, I'm insulin resistant, have PCOS, and had pre diabetes teetering into the diabetic range. I now have better managed PCOS, less migraines, and a NORMAL A1C. Carbs and i don't agree with one another right now. thanks for caring so much about my health!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    You lost weight eating more, well that's just jammy :smiley: I would say keep eating at that amount unless you find you're not losing again. I love hearing about people losing and eating a decent amount of calories :smiley:

I see absolutely no point in starving myself. I gained a lot of weight over a couple years of a starve - binge cycle. Part of my calorie increase was about respecting my body. If I keep losing at this range, I see no reason to keep cutting lower.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    CaptainJoy wrote: »
    My take on this is that water is denser and heavier than fat. We don't lose our fat cells when we are at a calorie deficit but we do lose the light-weight fat that fills them. Water then fills the cells. Since water takes up less space and is heavier, we lose inches but not weight. When we suddenly eat more calories than we use, the water in our fat cells goes "whoosh" and they fill up with lighter fat. We suddenly lose weight.

My advice is to keep an eye on the scale and cut back again only as needed to stay successful.

I'm not sure about the filling up with fat bit. That would be virtually impossible, to gain fat, if still at a deficit, right? I definitely agree with the idea of a whoosh. I'm down another pound today, so my body is shedding something.
  • ClosetBayesian
    Options

I don't care if you eat carbs, why do you care if I dont? For the record, I'm insulin resistant, have PCOS, and had pre diabetes teetering into the diabetic range. I now have better managed PCOS, less migraines, and a NORMAL A1C. Carbs and i don't agree with one another right now. thanks for caring so much about my health!

People needlessly demonize carbs, excluding legitimate medical conditions, which you did not mention you had in your original post; without that knowledge, there's no reason to suggest cutting carbs as opposed to one of the other macros; rarely do you see someone suggest cutting protein as a way to lose weight. My point about a net change of zero calories if someone replaces carbs with protein is still valid.

That said, you did not mention the PCOS or the insulin resistance in your original post.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

People needlessly demonize carbs, excluding legitimate medical conditions, which you did not mention you had in your original post; without that knowledge, there's no reason to suggest cutting carbs as opposed to one of the other macros; rarely do you see someone suggest cutting protein as a way to lose weight. My point about a net change of zero calories if someone replaces carbs with protein is still valid.

That said, you did not mention the PCOS or the insulin resistance in your original post.

Your protein point is absolutely valid ;)

As a disclaimer, I have absolutely no problem with carbs. In fact, I really, really like them, and have every intention of eating moderate carb eventually. That being said, right now it's just not working out for me. I'll take the reduction in symptoms- keto had allowed me to get completely off of my maintenance meds!! However, I am not one of the demonizers who push keto on everyone. I'm totally good with different folks doing what works best for their body.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I think the reason people always state to cut carbs is not because they are demonizing them at all - it's the fact that many people experience great health benefits, improvements in blood sugar spikes, and lower carbs and higher fat/protein helps satiety therefore if people struggle to lose weight and ask for help - carbs are often the first thing mentioned., but for the above, not because they think they are "bad" so to speak.
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I'd be surprised by you losing water weight by upping your calories unless you had lowered your carbs at the same time?

It's actually been noted before in research, for example Ansel Key's famous Minnesota starvation experiment on conscientious objectors during WW2. Often, even on severe calorie restriction, fat loss would continue but weight loss would stall, and a larger meal often triggered a sudden reduction in water.

It's true that reducing carbs can cause some water weight to be lost, but there's a lot of places apart from glycogen that can affect water weight.

Interesting point. Can't say i've ever experienced a whoosh like that, but worth looking into.
  • ClosetBayesian
    Options

I think the reason people always state to cut carbs is not because they are demonizing them at all - it's the fact that many people experience great health benefits, improvements in blood sugar spikes, and lower carbs and higher fat/protein helps satiety therefore if people struggle to lose weight and ask for help - carbs are often the first thing mentioned., but for the above, not because they think they are "bad" so to speak.

If we're making points by strawman, "many people" feel less restricted eating higher carb foods, and do not adhere to reducing calories because they feel deprived.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

Actually, it's a myth that most people find higher fat more filling than higher carb. Satiety studies (e.g. the work of Susanna Holt) consistently find protein is the most filling macronutrient, but carb tends to come in second, with fat in last place as the least filling macronutrient.

And while it's true that low carb reduces blood sugar spikes, it's unclear that there's any benefit to that in people who aren't suffering from either diabetes or reactive hypoglycemia. In those who are, of course there are benefits.
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options

If we're making points by strawman, "many people" feel less restricted eating higher carb foods, and do not adhere to reducing calories because they feel deprived.
    Actually, it's a myth that most people find higher fat more filling than higher carb. Satiety studies (e.g. the work of Susanna Holt) consistently find protein is the most filling macronutrient, but carb tends to come in second, with fat in last place as the least filling macronutrient.

And while it's true that low carb reduces blood sugar spikes, it's unclear that there's any benefit to that in people who aren't suffering from either diabetes or reactive hypoglycemia. In those who are, of course there are benefits.

I never said "fat" only - I said "fat/protein" I know protein increases satiety, and I also think fat can be very satisfying and there are also many studies out there that prove this too - It's all down to experience of real people too though not just studies. And many, yes - MANY (do I really need to quote exact numbers?!) also find this true when they practice this way of eating.
    As for blood sugar, the OP IS insulin resistant and borderline Diabetic - therefore my comments were very relevant to her.

I'm not getting in to another debate about carbs... i'm fed up of people on here just complaining all the time about people suggesting low carbing. If the OP finds what I have to say interesting/useful then I am pleased my comments may have opened them up to new ways of thinking/looking at things. That's all I am interested in whenEVER I post- helping the OP.
  • ClosetBayesian
    Options

I never said "fat" only - I said "fat/protein" I know protein increases satiety, and I also think fat can be very satisfying and there are also many studies out there that prove this too - It's all down to experience of real people too though not just studies. And many, yes - MANY (do I really need to quote exact numbers?!) also find this true when they practice this way of eating.
    As for blood sugar, the OP IS insulin resistant and borderline Diabetic - therefore my comments were very relevant to her.

I'm not getting in to another debate about carbs... i'm fed up of people on here just complaining all the time about people suggesting low carbing. If the OP finds what I have to say interesting/useful then I am pleased my comments may have opened them up to new ways of thinking/looking at things. That's all I am interested in whenEVER I post- helping the OP.

OP said nothing originally about PCOS or insulin resistance. Since OP is already doing keto, it's a real toss-up as to whether or not she can cut carbs more than she already is.

If there is no medical reason for going low carb, there is no reason that low carb will work better than low fat or good ol' eat-less-of-what-you-already-eat. The fact that this OP does have medical reasons for going low carb is coincidental.
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options
    Just a question cos I am confused... who did actually say low carb would work better than the others.. did I miss a post??
  • ClosetBayesian
    Options
    Just a question cos I am confused... who did actually say low carb would work better than the others.. did I miss a post??

You suggested low carb, not low protein. If they all work equally as well, why not suggest low protein?