Calorie counting and exercise - WDYD?

Options
Hello.. just wondering what people do.

If I was to do nothing for the whole day but sit down I would burn 80 calories an hour, which is all taken into account for the daily sedentary burn.

So, if I was to work out for an hour and burn 500 calories, should I log that as 500 calories burned or 420 calories burned? Or does the fact that I am exercising increase my metabolism to the point where it doesn't matter? For the record I log 500 because of the metabolism reason, but just wondering what other people do.

Note: I use a HRM to calculate calories.

Replies

• pamela_73
    pamela_73 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    anyone?:smile:
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You would log the 500 calories. You are still burning the 80, How are you calculating the 500 calories? What kind of exercise do you do?
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I would definitely log the 500 calories you worked out for. Any puprposeful workout should be added as exercise. I'll tell you what I do for myself. I'm set to sedentary because my job is a sit down office job for 7 hours daily. MFP takes that into account when it gives me my daily calorie allowance. So when I workout for 30 - 60 minutes on any day, I definitely add those calories burned, and I also use a HRM during my workouts. I also eat back those calories so I can maintain my calorie allowance close to the same number. Everyone is different, however for me, sticking to MFP has been working wonders.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    I think your best bet would be to get a Heart rate Monitor and log your calories from what your monitor says. I personally dont like the setting for exercise on MFP because it doesnt take into account the pace you worked and doesnt give an option to add distance. I can do a workout in 30 minutes and go over 3 miles, while some people might only be able to do 2 -2.5 miles. It just isnt accurate enough if you are really serious about keeping track of your exercise progress.