Understanding macros

Options
Can someone explain what it is I'm suppose to watch for or do. Or what the importance is

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Make sure they add up to 100% :D

Seriously, unless you have a need to change your macros, just go with MFP's default. Calories are most important, but to get a balanced diet, hitting macro goals can nudge you in the right direction. Enough protein helps retain muscle during weight loss. What enough protein is, is a much debated topic, but 0.5 gram of protein per pound of body weight at ideal weight, is reasonable. Some people prefer to lower the amount of carbs (and increase protein and fat instead) to get more satiety for their calories. But that doesn't work for everybody. You have to find out what works for you. The idea is that when your plan suits you, you will stick to it, and consistency is crucial for success.
  • 10ssmith
    10ssmith Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What of a female takes in to much protein ?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,989 Member
    Options
    I don't think getting too much protien is a problem. I struggle to get enough protien so I'm always happy on those days that I go over. If you are worried about bulking up, don't. You would have to really work hard to get that type of muscle.
  • 10ssmith
    10ssmith Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Not worried about bulking up. Just didn't want the extra protein to make me pick up weight and get fatter. Lol
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,989 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at a deficit it won't. It helps me to fill full longer.