Maintaining muscle mass

Options
lemur_lady
lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
I have been given some great advice by you guys on MFP over the past few weeks. But I have a few more questions that I would very much appreciate some answers to :)

-To maintain as much muscle mass as possible how many strength training workouts will be best? I can currently fit in about 2 a week is this enough?

-Each workout I try and get as much in as possible (due to time restraints) so I do strength exercises on my arms/shoulders/legs/abs. Is it ok to focus on all these areas at once or aim to do one per session?

-I try to have at least one rest day between exercise days, is this enough?

-When I am lifting weights is there a certain weight I should start at? I currently only use cans from our cupboard as I don't have the money to buy proper weights but am thinking of getting some proper ones if they would help.

-To properly maintain muscle should I be aiming to increase the weights over time? And if so, when will I know to increase the weight?

-Is there anything else I should know or any useful tips to lose the fat and get a healthier leaner body at the end?

Sorry for all the questions :tongue:

Replies

• lemur_lady
    Options
    *sigh* Just realised I posted in the wrong section. Is there any way of changing which board it is on?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    3x a week is better, but 2 is better than nothing.

Full body workouts are acceptable, you would only split it up and do upper body/lower body on different days if you working out on back to back days.

If you only work out 2x a week, why is rest days a question? You can work out 3x a week with rest days in between.

You should lift as heavy as you can for best results. Lifting small weights that weigh less than every day things you lift is not efficient.

Progressive loading is what it is called when you increase weights. I try to increase weights each week by 5 or 10 pounds, but that depends on the exercise.
  • lemur_lady
    Options
    3x a week is better, but 2 is better than nothing.

Full body workouts are acceptable, you would only split it up and do upper body/lower body on different days if you working out on back to back days.

If you only work out 2x a week, why is rest days a question? You can work out 3x a week with rest days in between.

You should lift as heavy as you can for best results. Lifting small weights that weigh less than every day things you lift is not efficient.

Progressive loading is what it is called when you increase weights. I try to increase weights each week by 5 or 10 pounds, but that depends on the exercise.

I asked about the rest days because I tend to do the workouts on a Tuesday and Thursday. I was just checking that one day in between was sufficient time.

If I invest in some real weights what kind of size am I looking to start at? How will I know if its the right weight for me?
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    If you don't have weights, there are some great bodyweight exercises you can do.
    Here is a blog I like about bodyweight exercises at home, http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Also, "heavy" is a relative term that is different for everyone, and each lift. If you can go to a store that has weights, pick them up and try the lift you want to do with it, adjustable weights would be even better, and a better investment (IMO) over time
  • lemur_lady
    Options
    If you don't have weights, there are some great bodyweight exercises you can do.
    Here is a blog I like about bodyweight exercises at home, http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Also, "heavy" is a relative term that is different for everyone, and each lift. If you can go to a store that has weights, pick them up and try the lift you want to do with it, adjustable weights would be even better, and a better investment (IMO) over time

Thanks for the link :) I have been using my own body weight for the leg and abs exercises and the cans for the arms/shoulders.

I am quite a heavy gal (about 290;bs) so was hoping the body weight exercises would suffice for now.

I just remembered another question that has been bugging me.: What are reps/sets?
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Thanks for the link :) I have been using my own body weight for the leg and abs exercises and the cans for the arms/shoulders.

I am quite a heavy gal (about 290;bs) so was hoping the body weight exercises would suffice for now.

I just remembered another question that has been bugging me.: What are reps/sets?

Reps=repetitions. How many times you do an exercise at one time. 15 squats = 15 reps
    Sets are how many times you do the repetitions. If you do 15 squats 3 times, that is 3 sets. 3 sets of 15 reps.

And check out "You are Your Own Gym". Those are all bodyweight exercises. Here is a grou pon MFP for it, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8173-you-are-your-own-gym
    Good luck!