Runners- share your run!

Options

Replies

• mfpmishka
    mfpmishka Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    8 miles against wind and hills today morning. Longest one- 31 miles but it was 4 years ago.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    My run this morning was a no-go.
    I'm chiming in just to remind you guys how lucky you [we] are to be able to get our fix, and to balance out the accounting because the other side of running is that we do get injured and sidelined periodically.
    About three months ago, I over-did it one day -- weight lifting in the morning, tennis in the afternoon. After dinner, I stood up. As i did so, I felt a pop, or a twinge, in the back of my left knee, where I had ACL replacement surgery with a cartilage-repair procedure about two years ago.
    The next day I could not bend it and it was as puffy as a balloon! (It's always the seemingly innocuous movements that end up in the injury. Watch how you get up from a chair, people!)
    (BTW, I have had it checked out by a reputable physical therapist and I do not believe i have done anything serious or permanent. It is just a part of my still continuing recovery.)
    Anyway, it has been a long time getting better. I have had trouble getting the swelling and fluid down. But I finally have and things are going much better.
    Yesterday, I did my fartleks routine on the track and it was great. Felt strong. Normal gait. Almost no discomfort in the knee.
    So, today I went out thinking i would run the stairs at the college football stadium a few block from my house, as I have been doing throughout my surgery recovery. But, stairs are slightly different. My knee hurt. I decided that the better part of valor today was to knock it off.
    I did. I turned around and went home.
    But, as any runner would, I'll be back tomorrow and I expect to run well.
  • belle_reve9
    belle_reve9 Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    My run this morning was a no-go.

I did. I turned around and went home.
    But, as any runner would, I'll be back tomorrow and I expect to run well.

Very smart! And tomorrow I'm sure it will be a great run!

• genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I have been reading this thread for motivation!

I am a new runner- and SLOW! I started in May- and it was hard to even jog the minute intervals on C25K.

Now, my longest run has been 6.5 miles (took me 84 minutes but I didn't walk a single step!) and I PR'ed a 5K fun run this weekend at 34:19! (11:03 min/miles.)

See? Slow.

But, I am really enjoying watching my times get better, I am proud of doing things that I never thought I could do, and I am showing up to things by myself and trying new things.

I only get two decent runs in a week. I am a stay at home mom and my husband works crazy hours. But I do FitnessBlender 3-4 days a week and I will bang out a couple quick miles on my dreadmill if it wasn't a tough leg or HIIT day.

Anyway- you all are great motivation! My goals in 2017 are to 1) Get my 5k to 30 minutes. 2) Run a 10k. and 3) Run 10 miles without stopping!
  • belle_reve9
    belle_reve9 Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options

I am a new runner- and SLOW! I started in May- and it was hard to even jog the minute intervals on C25K.

Now, my longest run has been 6.5 miles (took me 84 minutes but I didn't walk a single step!) and I PR'ed a 5K fun run this weekend at 34:19! (11:03 min/miles.)

See? Slow.

But, I am really enjoying watching my times get better, I am proud of doing things that I never thought I could do, and I am showing up to things by myself and trying new things.

I only get two decent runs in a week. I am a stay at home mom and my husband works crazy hours. But I do FitnessBlender 3-4 days a week and I will bang out a couple quick miles on my dreadmill if it wasn't a tough leg or HIIT day.

Anyway- you all are great motivation! My goals in 2017 are to 1) Get my 5k to 30 minutes. 2) Run a 10k. and 3) Run 10 miles without stopping!

That is NOT slow!!!!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

See? Slow.

You'll find that the more you run the faster you'll get but for now you're building your aerobic base, 34:19 is not too shabby for a 5k and 30 minutes is very doable.

One of the best decisions I ever made was to start running in my early 50s, you're right, you can amaze yourself with what you can do. What seems impossible becomes merely difficult and what seems difficult becomes fun....
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

See? Slow.

Faster than everyone still sitting on the couch. And I bet your time put you nicely in the middle of the pack.

Your 1, 2, and 3 are very doable. And if you manage #3, then why don't you add a #4 and sign up for a half-marathon? :)
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options

See? Slow.

Faster than everyone still sitting on the couch. And I bet your time put you nicely in the middle of the pack.

Your 1, 2, and 3 are very doable. And if you manage #3, then why don't you add a #4 and sign up for a half-marathon? :)

Yup! Almost exactly in the middle! For my age group (I'm a 31 year old female) I'm usually in the top 30%!

A half is my tentative goal! I'm a little worried about having enough time to dedicate to training to make a half not be miserable. My youngest will start preschool next fall, so maybe a 2018 goal? My town has two halfs in the spring- one in March and one in May!

The training is a little intimidating still. Fartleks, tempos, tapers- it all seems a little overwhelming and confusing!

I'm still just happy to actually be "a runner"!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

See? Slow.

Yup! Almost exactly in the middle! For my age group (I'm a 31 year old female) I'm usually in the top 30%!

A half is my tentative goal! I'm a little worried about having enough time to dedicate to training to make a half not be miserable. My youngest will start preschool next fall, so maybe a 2018 goal? My town has two halfs in the spring- one in March and one in May!

The training is a little intimidating still. Fartleks, tempos, tapers- it all seems a little overwhelming and confusing!

I'm still just happy to actually be "a runner"!

There's no way I can keep up with all those speedy 20-somethings, so top third in my age group is what I always aim for. I actually managed a fourth and fifth place in a couple of 5ks this year, which I never thought I would achieve.

The half I'm planning on running next year is in November (I last ran it in 2011 - I look remarkably happy on my avi photo considering that was taken at mile 10), which should give me enough time to build up my distance again. I'm running 10k about three times a week now, and will be increasing this slowly. If I finish in under 2hrs 30mins I'll be happy.
  • Adhdvogeltj3
    Adhdvogeltj3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Pff speedy 20-somethings. I'm 27 and like the slowest runner ever! It used to bother me a lot, especially since my boyfriend who never runs is effortlessly faster than I am :angry: It still bothers me a little from time to time, but I've learned to let it go for the most part.
    I know I get faster if I run more, and I know if I really want to get fast then I have to do speedwork, something I might get to work on next year when I'm gonna train for races. But honestly? I'm never gonna be a really fast runner, my legs are too short haha.
  • Adhdvogeltj3
    Adhdvogeltj3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had a nice 4 mile run today by the way.
    I've been stopping at around 2 the past week, not looking at how far or how fast I'm going but just running for 20-25 minutes. But today I had the time, so I just went for a run. It felt so nice that I just kept going and eventually I stopped at 4miles because my body was telling me to. But I was so in the zone I could have kept going!
    Tomorrow's going to be a no run day, after a long run like that I'll give my legs some rest and the rest of my body some tough love. Watch out abs!
  • dknisle1
    dknisle1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'll post yesterday's. I had been running a mile and a half 3 days a week. I went out yesterday and hit my mile and a half mark and wasn't tired. It turned into a 3 mile run. 31:00 min. I'm ok with that. I think it was because I actually ate something and drank water before hand. Idk. Felt awesome tho
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    dknisle1 wrote: »
    I'll post yesterday's. I had been running a mile and a half 3 days a week. I went out yesterday and hit my mile and a half mark and wasn't tired. It turned into a 3 mile run. 31:00 min. I'm ok with that. I think it was because I actually ate something and drank water before hand. Idk. Felt awesome tho

Awesome job. It sounds like maybe you experienced what is commonly referred to as "runner's high". Those endorphins kick in and you start to feel like you are running on clouds and could continue to run forever. I very distinctly remember the first time I experienced this. It was almost 20 years ago. It made me want to keep running and I have never looked back.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Today's was an easy 8km.

Normally I run on the rec paths along the river but with the freeze/thaw cycles we've had since Tuesday they were too icy for my liking so I changed up my route to run a loop, what I had forgotten (as I hadn't run this loop for a while) was the elevation gain along the main drag in town. My Garmin recorded 40m (roughly 120 ft) ascent over about 1km or a 4% grade, a nice change from my normally completely flat runs.

The bonus was that there's a bakery along this route that bakes the best smelling bread imaginable, I was definitely salivating while running.....
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Had a nine-mile run this past MON; had to stop a couple times to (1) pee and (2) massage out some cramps that were forming, but still enjoyed myself. I often find myself wondering "why can't life be like running - go from Point A to Point B with no interruptions?"
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Nice inspiration everyone!! I started running some a year ago August at 47 years old. Worked my way up from walking and pretty much hated it but I'm stubborn and I wanted to increase my cardio and be able to run with my daughters and son-in-law so I have persevered. So far I've run 3 official 5K's and a mini-triathlon and have two 5K's coming up in the next two months.

Lately I've realized I am beginning to like running... I'm adding some interval training to my two day a week running schedule now and occasionally take my dog with me. She's pretty sure she's a sled dog and I'm the sled so after two miles of intervals, dropping her off at the house and finishing up the rest of my 3.2 mile morning I checked Strava only to discover I hit a new PR on the route with a 9:36 pace!!!

Good luck everyone and remember, you only lose if you give up!
  • Charlene_1985
    Charlene_1985 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Today was another 4.5 miles. I am away for work now so I had to settle for the hotel treadmill. 41:27 so 9:12/mile. I was happy with my performance. According to the syncing between Runtastic and Fitbit, I am getting 175-185 strides per minute which seems to be s magic number. Plus i woke up a 2:45am after only 4 hours of sleep and ran at 5pm this evening.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    One bit of advice from me - probably best not to scout new routes in the dark but wait until daylight. Last night I planned a 10K or so run but due to a slight mistake with the routing I ended up doing 10 miles. Not really a problem (and I was due a longer run anyway) but I hadn't really fueled for that so was flagging a bit towards the end. Still, I did find several new sections to incorporate into my runs as well as one that I'll avoid at night due to their being no pavement (sidewalk for Americans!) for part of it.
  • Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Coldest run to date at 18F. Did 4 miles and called it a day as my core started to get really chilly. I find running in the cold much harder than in mild temps. Maybe, it's the extra bulk or maybe muscles are hard to warm up
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    7km run for me this morning which took 48mins, so no speedy gonzalez here lol. Plan to train for and run a 10km in March (in fact on my birthday :) ) so building up slowly towards it.