How to set a realistc long term goal

Options
hiyomi
hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone, I've been dieting/exericising on MFP now since early March. I've lost about 10 lbs since then. I weigh 271.6, female, 23 years old, lightly active. I just noticed that I always set shorter term goals for myself, (example: lose 20 lbs by June 1st) etc. But I've never made a commitment to a long term goal before. Now I was just wondering, if I wanted to end my long term goal by December of this year, what is a good amount of weight to set to lose by then? I don't just wanna say 100 lbs and then not be able to realistically meet that goal, or is it realistic to lose 100 lbs by then? How would I go about deciding how much I should lose by December 2016? Thanks for any/all help :)

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    There are about 33 weeks till Dec this year. Suppose you start losing at 2lbs/week now but as you go it will drop so let's say it drops to 1lbs/week. So an average is 1.5lbs /week. 1.5lbs/week*33weeks = 50lbs. :)
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Take what the above poster said (50lbs) and break it into smaller, short term goals. Then you can focus on those, but still be working on your long term goal at the same time.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    There are about 33 weeks till Dec this year. Suppose you start losing at 2lbs/week now but as you go it will drop so let's say it drops to 1lbs/week. So an average is 1.5lbs /week. 1.5lbs/week*33weeks = 50lbs. :)

Thanks! Didn't even think about putting it into perspective math wise -_- lol I will try doing that and do what the poster above me said as well!