Why have I gained weight?

Options
I began keeping my food and exercise log about 10 days ago. I have been diligent in keeping my caloric intake at or under the prescribed number. I am very active but I don't have time to go to the gym as I would like. After 10 days of being very careful I gained 3-4 pounds according to my scale. What am I missing??

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh ALL your food/drinks with a scale?
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Time of month? Too much sodium? Lots of water? Sore muscles? Incorrect calorie counts?

It could be so many things, including nothing in particular. Scales go up and down for no particular reason sometimes.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
  • Knight702015
    Knight702015 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your comments. I appreciate them greatly.
  • Knight702015
    Options
    I don't weigh my food. Don't use a calorie counter as I rely on MF calorie counter. I drink nothing but water which I put into 16 oz and 20 oz bottles. The time of month-- believe me doesn't apply to me. I am a 70 yr old man. Exercise--I am always on the go but have little time for gym type exercise. After speaking with my wife we determined that since I am feeling better that is what is most important. I agree but I still don't like gaining when I am supposed to be losing. Thank you all.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    How many data points is this? It's not uncommon for weight to fluctuate. I've "gained" 7 pounds in 2 days, and while one of those two days may have been over maintenance by a couple hundred calories, it certainly was not even close to 24,500 calories over maintenance. Weight includes many things, including a lot of water, the contents of your bowels, etc.

What matters is long-term trends, and you don't have enough data to see those trends yet. Be patient and keep working at it.
  • Knight702015
    Options
    Mr rankinsect. Thank you for that. I appreciate your input.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Oh, for reference, here's three months of (almost) daily weigh-ins (the flat spot was travel when I didn't weigh in):

weight_3mos.png
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my food. Don't use a calorie counter as I rely on MF calorie counter. I drink nothing but water which I put into 16 oz and 20 oz bottles. The time of month-- believe me doesn't apply to me. I am a 70 yr old man. Exercise--I am always on the go but have little time for gym type exercise. After speaking with my wife we determined that since I am feeling better that is what is most important. I agree but I still don't like gaining when I am supposed to be losing. Thank you all.

If you don't weigh your food you don't know how much you're eating...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU