Struggling

Options
Losing weight used to be easy for me, I would cut out fast food and the weight comes off....not like that anymore. It seems like no matter what I do I can't lose the weight....I am getting frustrated and want to stop trying. I worked out with a personal trainer for 6 months and haven't lost much of anything...maybe a couple inches here and there but over 6 months i feel like I should have lost more. I struggle trying to eat right and healthy but the TDEE and BMR and all of that stuff makes sense to me but I don't see myself eating that many calories and losing weight....My boyfriend just started and has lost almost 20 pounds, I know it's easier for guys to lose weight but argh!

I am 5'8", weigh 190, and 26 years old I have a desk job but I am constantly getting up and moving around. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• melissams
    melissams Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am trying something new this week myself so here it goes!

5-6 small meals a day (every 2-3 hours to keep metabolism going - here are some examples
    Snacks:
    -Fruit w/Triscuits & whipped PB
    -Celery w/whipped PB & Fruit
    -2 scrambled eggs, JD turkey sausage crumble & a fruit (sometimes add 2 light toast and a little butter)
    -Joseph's flatbread wrap w/lf mayo, 2 oz deli meat (not great but convenient), thin sargento cheese & 1 cup of veggies
    -2 Cups of salad, HB egg & grilled chicken w/paul Newman's Oilve Oil & Vinegar Dressing
    -5 oz steak tips w/2 cups of veggies

DRINK 1/2 YOUR BODY WEIGHT IN WATER! UGH - I KNOW! I'm a diet soda junkie and allow myself at least ONE a day.

Cut out extra salt, don't cut out all fat and definitely stay away from fast food (like you said you are).

I just bought Chris Powell's new transformation book, I'm only 40 pages in but I am going to it out - can't hurt!

I hope this helps - I am trying too! Hang in there!! You totally can do it! :):)
  • tdotali
    tdotali Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any fitness? Eating is 80% of the challenge, but building muscle will help your metabolism to burn. I can't see your diary so I don't know what a typical day looks like for you: I did the following along with regular exercise and I got great results:

Breakfast: Oatmeal with pb, chia seeds and almond milk
    Snack - egg whites or almonds, or greek yogurt with berries and a titch of honey
    Lunch - fish or chicken with greens
    snack - shakeology with almond milk
    dinner - fish or chicken with greens
    snack - sometimes a square of dark chocolate with herbal tea.
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options
    Losing weight requires patience and determination, It's not easy! I'm sure you've done great in these 6 months. But don't give up!! Because a few years down the line you'll think back to this time and wonder, what progress would I have made If I continued from now until then.

Do not give up, ya hear me? >:)
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!

You just have to figure out when your body gives up that pound and work that angle. I've found that I don't lose by diet alone, I have to hike almost every day to get weight loss. And if I eat something with high sodium, like chinese food, it'll set me back a couple pounds. So, just keep monitoring, try different things, until you figure out what your body responds to.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 small meals a day, I don't do dairy, sugar, white anything, I do not eat processed food, Everything I eat I try to make it count for something. I know it is harder & boring to eat clean all the time, as a 49 year old chic, I refuse to gain weight as I head into menopause, trust me it just gets that much harder to maintain a lean body. Gather friends that have fit profiles and see what they are eating on a daily basis.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Losing weight used to be easy for me, I would cut out fast food and the weight comes off....not like that anymore. It seems like no matter what I do I can't lose the weight....I am getting frustrated and want to stop trying. I worked out with a personal trainer for 6 months and haven't lost much of anything...maybe a couple inches here and there but over 6 months i feel like I should have lost more. I struggle trying to eat right and healthy but the TDEE and BMR and all of that stuff makes sense to me but I don't see myself eating that many calories and losing weight....My boyfriend just started and has lost almost 20 pounds, I know it's easier for guys to lose weight but argh!

I am 5'8", weigh 190, and 26 years old I have a desk job but I am constantly getting up and moving around. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dont give up.

I have not been struggling with losing weight or getting fit since I upped my calories mainly because I dont have to eat healthy at every meal. I can enjoy the food that I like and not constantly be thinking about what my next meal is supposed to be. Most days i eat 1700-1800. On days that I work harder, I eat more than 2000.

And the results are fantastic since joining MFP/changing my thoughts on food and how much of it I am supposed to eat. Today is my 75th day since joining and I have lost 12 -13 lbs. It took me a year to lose the first 20 but only 11 weeks to lose 12. Thats the beauty of following TDEE -20%.

Oh, and I eat pizza, beer, hamburgers, tacos, chicken wings,, pretty much everything I want, just not as much as I used to want.

Good luck and friend request me if you are looking for supporting MFP pals.