How to estimate at a catered lunch?

Options
Morning all,
I'm in a yoga and meditation workshop this weekend and each day we have a catered lunch. I have no idea yet what it is but it's from a very super healthy restaurant - will be all vegan/vegetarian fare. I don't want to look obsessive breaking out my phone and calculator at lunch. How do you reasonably estimate calories? I'm a pre-diary planner and so I've already entered what I will be eating for breakfast and snacks, leaving some left for dinner. I am wanting to budget about 300 calories max each day for lunch.

Thanks

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    The USDA would tell you that a serving of protein is about the size of a deck of cards. The protein at your lunch will likely be 4oz, because it's easier to split a pound into quarters. From my time in food service, I can tell you that most of the serving scoops used for vegetables and fruits are a half cup and you give each diner one. Rice and other grains (including pastas) get two of those.

You will be estimating, but doing that for one weekend won't be the end of the world. I hope.you have a great time.
  • Heartlight441
    Heartlight441 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've put myself down as a quick add for each day's lunch at 300 calories. I'm just going to eyeball and pick the healthiest choices ensuring to pick a good balance of carb/protein/fat as best as I can.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian doesn't mean healthy.. just saying.

Just estimate.
  • Heartlight441
    Options
    Oh yes, I know that! But this particular restaurant is super clean and healthy... but yes you are right!
  • Francl27
    Options
    Oh yes, I know that! But this particular restaurant is super clean and healthy... but yes you are right!

It's nice. Better than those places that just order pizza for sure, lol.
  • Heartlight441
    Options
    Yeah - I already perused their online menu... they have a fresh juice/smoothie bar and dishes made with fresh organic veggies, quinoa, sprouts, nut cheeses, etc. Some gluten free options too. I'm excited to finally try it. Been open in our city maybe a year but never made it there yet.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Yeah - I already perused their online menu... they have a fresh juice/smoothie bar and dishes made with fresh organic veggies, quinoa, sprouts, nut cheeses, etc. Some gluten free options too. I'm excited to finally try it. Been open in our city maybe a year but never made it there yet.

That seems like it could be a potential calorie bomb though! I'm clueless about vegetarian dishes calories, but nut cheese just doesn't very calorie-friendly (nor do the smoothies).
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    YOLO
  • Heartlight441
    Options
    Yeah I am going to put half leefy greens on my plate... 1/4 beans type dish and then some a wee bit of cheese. That's my goal anyway!! Hard until I see the options. I have an apple so will skip any sweets unless there is fruit. But yes - yolo. I will workout extra if I indulge a bit more than planned. ;)