Is it possible for your legs to shrink?

Options
beautifulsparkles
beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I started at 275lbs and my goal weight is about 140lbs. I read somewhere that the reason large people have bigger calves is because they develop bigger muscles in their legs to support the weight they have to carry. Is this true? Someone said my calves were big because there was a lot of fat in them, but when I squeeze them they feel rock hard and firm, not squishy like you would expect.

The reason I ask, is I would love to wear boots, but I can barely get them past my ankles. I think my calves are 19 inches :-O

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Yes :)
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yes they will shrink. I have chicken legs no matter how big I get and my lower legs are so boney now they're ugly. :worried:
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options
    ch33s3cak3 wrote: »
    its not always the case though , i was barely 100lbs and i still couldnt wear long boots (standard size) with the muscles in my legs, there are shops that do wide fitting.

I can't wear regular length boots unless I go to a plus sized store.
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    They have boots with laces on them

My fat legs were too big for those as well!
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Mine certainly shrunk. Went from 230 to 140 and had to give away all my wide calf boots. They looked ridiculous! Now regular boots fit great. Some even a little loose.
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    Mine certainly shrunk. Went from 230 to 140 and had to give away all my wide calf boots. They looked ridiculous! Now regular boots fit great. Some even a little loose.

That's fantastic, I bet you are pleased :-D
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I have always had to get wide calf boots, even when I was about 125 lbs in college. My older daughter is blessed with big calves too.

Big Polish legs run in my family. One of my sisters and I have stocky legs, even when we were ideal weight. I have another sister who has always been bigger (over 220 lbs) , but has little spindles for legs.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    They will get smaller...but yeah, maybe not too much. I've lost about an inch on my calves going from 180 to 128 ha.
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    They will get smaller...but yeah, maybe not too much. I've lost about an inch on my calves going from 180 to 128 ha.

Are your numbers right? Lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Are your numbers right? Lol

Yeeeep. Okay. I didn't measure my calves until I was 163 but from there to 128 I went from 16.5 inches to 15. Okay an inch and a half lol. I just went back to look.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My calves measure over 15 inches. I'm 5'4" and weigh 141.5. I've never been obese, just on the higher side of overweight.

Calve are genetic.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    My legs definitely shrunk. My feet also went down an entire size :p
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I definitely have my moms legs and we have similar shaped calves and thighs. We both have pretty thick calves, but like you said they aren't squishy. Same with my thighs. They're big but if I flex them there's a ton of muscle. I just have this pesky layer of fat on them too lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Really the only way to find out is to get to goal weight and see. Genetics and how much time you were obese would dictate how much muscle you have in your calves. I will tell you that it's HARD to lose muscle in the legs and to "slim" them down. Muscle just doesn't go away that easily.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have slender legs. Even many years ago when I was in the 270s, I didn't have fat legs. Just some slight thigh chub. My calves at any weight have very little fat, but they are very muscular. Like visably cut. Because of that, I struggle with boots, at any weight.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    They will shrink. You will lose both muscle and fat as you lose weight.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    My calves are big when I'm obese, overweight, and at a healthy weight. They have always been this way. They're muscular. When I was in college, a friend told me he wanted to "breed football players" with me -- because he was 6'4" with scrawny legs and I am 5'4" with strong-*kitten* legs. ;-)

That said, while still large, my calves are slightly smaller when I'm a healthy weight.