What food should you not be allowed near

Options
I've decided I shouldn't be allowed near hard-boiled eggs. I grew up eating eggs only occasionally and never liked them, but in the last year or so I've been eating a lot more eggs, including hard-boiled eggs (which I used to HATE!). I've mastered not getting the insides to turn green and chalky, but I CANNOT properly peel a hard-boiled egg. I have visited numerous websites offering tips on this activity, but my eggs still look like a chewed up mess :P

So, what foods should you be banned from, cause you just can't seem to get them right?

Replies

• Kreider86
    Kreider86 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    ^omigosh I have this same problem. I'm always too impatient to sit there and peel them nicely.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    SWEET PERTATERZ!!!

Cuz I luv dem 2 much
  • droppinlbslikeangels
    Options
    Not mine, but my mother's. My mom is an excellent cook, loves to bake, and makes the best damn shepherds pie on this side of the Mason-Dixon line.

However she cannot make jello from those cook-and-serve boxes. I don't know what she does wrong! But it never sets! It's an on-going joke in my family, for sure. :laugh:
  • ldnmaggie
    ldnmaggie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Meriungues!! Drives me crazy
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I can not cook sausage without drying it out or burning it. I Don't eat it but the family does so really I don't care...lol:laugh:
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Oooh if it helps.... cool water with eggs in pot, bring to a boil. As soon as it start boiling, take it off the stove, cover and let sit for about 8m. Perfect eggs, easy to peel. Additionally, I read to not cook the eggs for a few days after bringing them home from the supermarket. I have NO idea if that really is what helps, but I always buy more eggs when I have about half a dozen left, so they are in the fridge for a bit before I get around to them.

Anyway yeah...the shell to mine practically slip off after I start peeling them. Hope that helps!!

As for my not allowed to be near food that I cant prepare...oddly enough it would be instant potatoes. Which is not a bad thing to avoid anyway LOL but for some reason, I ALWAYS burn them. No matter how hard I try, I end up getting distracted and leave it on the stove or forget to turn the stove off or whatever. I can make some elaborate and beautiful meals from scratch, but put me in the room with a box of instant potatoes, and there will be fire. LMFAO
  • LeakieChan
    LeakieChan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    my mom always told me the older the egg, the easier it is to peal. she lets hers sit in cold water over night.

when I read the title of this post I thought it was going to be about one of your favorite unhealthy foods that if you got near it, would make you black out and go cookie monster on it. which has happened to me when I've tried to diet before. foods I completely mess up making? brownies.... boxed brownies... they always turn out like cake. I think it's an OCD thing where I want it all to be even and I end up mixing it far to long....i'm not eating those this time.

as for food that would make me go cookie monster, those creamy cheddar shredded potato dishes....
  • F1TCH1K
    F1TCH1K Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've decided I shouldn't be allowed near hard-boiled eggs. I grew up eating eggs only occasionally and never liked them, but in the last year or so I've been eating a lot more eggs, including hard-boiled eggs (which I used to HATE!). I've mastered not getting the insides to turn green and chalky, but I CANNOT properly peel a hard-boiled egg. I have visited numerous websites offering tips on this activity, but my eggs still look like a chewed up mess :P

So, what foods should you be banned from, cause you just can't seem to get them right?

Want perfect HBE? Try this... http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=40817224
    I have one and I LOVE IT! My kids gave it to me for Mother's Day because I make eggs all the time and this was much more convienent than pan cooking each morning. I finally used it to make HBE and they too cooked perfect and peeled PERFECTLY!
  • psykins
    psykins Posts: 76
    Options
    @droppin - too funny! So are there chunks of non-blended mix?
    @Dragn - tried that :) still screw it up!
  • BeastlyMaple
    BeastlyMaple Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    making egg whites. Ughh! I have a sulfur allergy, so I have to avoid egg yolks. Seriously cannot make egg whites without them being extremely soggy or dry. I always dream of making nice fluffy egg whites but it's just not working out for me. Darn you carton egg whites! :)
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I can't fry bacon. It's either burnt or not all of the way cooked. :
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I can bake and cook like a chef, but for some reason I cannot toast (under a broiler) hamburger or sandwich buns without burning them. I always miss that nanosecond where they go from not toasted enough to a smoking cinder.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Pasta. It's always undercooked or overcooked. I don't know why!

My aunt's Jell-o always turns out watery, which is kind of hilarious.
  • babyblues4
    babyblues4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Rice... I cant cook rice if my life depended on it. It's either under cooked or burnt. It's a running joke in our house
  • littlelouis
    littlelouis Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Dippy eggs! I always either break the yolk, get most of the egg stuck go the pan, or undercook it. Sigh.
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options
    Meringue; specifically, meringue based desserts. I can't make the cookies, I can't make Angel Food, I haven't even attempted waffles. Ugh. Disaster zone.
  • megabyt23
    megabyt23 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I love baking!!! I mean...cakes, cupcakes, cheesecakes, brownies, cookies, bread, etc....but I cannot for the life of me, make pancakes. :cry: The house always get smoky. lol they usually taste good...just don't look very pretty lol
  • megabyt23
    megabyt23 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I also once blew up the microwave while trying to cook a baked potato in it...not kidding. I was like 12 though and haven't tried since.
  • LyraVega02
    LyraVega02 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Pie crust. I think my trouble is that I always over mix it, but I have so much trouble getting the consistency right, not to mention the rolling out part. I've tried crumbling the butter with my fingers and I've tried the food processor method. Any tips? I promised my boyfriend an apple pie years ago, but I'm too scared I'll mess it up, and buying that refrigerated crust just feels wrong.

As for the eggs, do you cool them immediately after they've sat in the hot water for your preferred amount of time? I don't know if that makes a difference, but it's what I do. Also, I just recently learned to start cracking the egg at the fat end because that's where the little bubble part is, and it makes it a lot easier to get the shell off in nice big pieces. I have also heard the older eggs peel better thing. It might be the case, since I always seem to forget I bought eggs and usually end up boiling them close to or after their sell by date.
  • ohnstadk
    ohnstadk Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Pancakes! Lol I always burn them - I get distracted.