Cleanse?

Options
My low carb diet is helping me lose weight, but I reach a hurdle and I sabotage my diet. I think it's not just stress - I feel a little bloated and uncomfortable. I'm considering a cleanse but don't want to buy any products. Has anyone done a natural dietary cleanse? Any other ideas or feedback?

Replies

• robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, cleanses don't do anything, except maybe give you the runs. You kidneys and liver do all the 'detoxing' your body needs. Drink some water, forgive yourself and move on. I promise you won't feel icky forever.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    You can't undo something you've already done, all you can do is get back on track and give yourself time. Your body will clean itself out.

It sounds maybe like a low-carb diet is not working for you, so I would suggest looking into a more sustainable way of eating that won't cause binging or overeating.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling bloated just drink some water. Fancy cleanse products don't do anything except cleanse your wallet. Like others have said (and say in every single one of these cleanse threads) your kidneys and liver do all the cleansing you'll ever need.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    You sabotage because you're not feeding yourself right. Low carb isn't a magical answer to weight loss and it may be the reason you are losing control. You only crave or binge when your body needs something, eg craving sweets, eat some fruit. Maybe up your carbs a little and listen to your body :) a cleanse will drop your water weight but it's not a true loss, no fat goes anywhere unfortunately. Good luck! X
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Cleanses are usually just laxatives, and can be dangerous. If you're feeling bloated, drink coffee and water. The coffee is a mild diuretic, and increasing water consumption actually helps to decrease water retention. If you feel like you may be constipated, I recommend magnesium citrate vitamin pills as they are fairly safe, magnesium has several other benefits to the body along with being an electrolyte and is required, and most diets don't provide the RDA of magnesium. The magnesium citrate pills act as an osmotic laxative which brings water into your colon and helps to get stuff moving. I also find that magnesium also helps lower stress as well.

I know when I went low carb I ended up being constipated for a while. Low carb isn't necessary to lose weight. As a vegetarian, I had a hard time eating low carb, and decided not to worry about trying to stay low carb (I love fruit) and focused on eating more whole foods and reducing foods that had a lot of added sugar. That helped tremendously. Now, according to MFP my sugar intake is consistently around 200g, but it's coming from raw fruits like strawberries, apples, bananas, etc and I find I am not dealing with bloat or feeling lethargic, and many of the fruits I enjoy I can eat huge servings of because those are the primary source of carbs, and compared to a candy bar, they are more nutrient dense without being calorie dense.
  • frida001
    frida001 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I do need to drink more water. It's hard for teachers because we can't just leave the classroom when we need to.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    If you have a working liver and pancreas and you urinate and defecate at a normal rate, voila! you're already cleansed.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    No
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Have you had a chance yet to glance at the Most Helpful Posts (must reads) post at the top of this forum section? There's some good stuff stickied there, including this post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755/looking-for-a-detox-cleanse/p1