I need help! Beginner cook, picky eater

Options
2»

Replies

• carrielynn62
    carrielynn62 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I put a whole chicken in the crockpot and add 1 cup water or chicken stock and any seasonings you like and cook on low for 7-8 hours. It's always tender and moist. we have that the firat night and then I have it the rest of the week on salads and sandwiches.

I also take baking potatoes and cut them in half, then put a slice of onion in the middle and then wray in foil and bake, the onion gives a lot of flavor and I don't have to eat butter on them.
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I found a lot of good recipes at www.slenderkitchen.com. good luck.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Regarding adding nutrition without picky eaters noticing, Evelyn Tribole also has a book of tips on this called (I think) Stealth Health.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Stir Fry can be adapted to picky eaters...... you usually start with cooking up bite sized pieces of meat (you can marinate in soy sauce and minced garlic or onion ahead of time)....toss the marinade before frying in a non-stick pan. A little oil goes a long way.

You then add any veggies you want ..... if your boyfriend wants zero veggies ... then set his portion of meat aside. After veggies are cooked add your sauce and simmer. Sauce is usually a combination of broth, rice wine vinegar, cornstarch, soy sauce, ginger, .... whatever you like). You can half the sauce with your boyfriend. Serve over rice (you can use brown rice) .... or just use portion control for yourself.

Wraps are great. I made a cobb salad wrap the other day. Rotisserie chicken, bacon (just a bit) 2% cheese, lettuce, tomato, and ranch dressing .... you don't need much. Your boyfriend can just add whatever he wants.

Chicken fajitas would be similar to the wraps. Stir fry chicken strips, add seasoning. Stir fry peppers & onions. Slice a tomato. Wrap up whatever you like.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Use a hand grater to fine grate veggies in to sauces (like marinara and spaghetti sauce and chili, etc.). It gets my picky eater to eat veggies without knowing it and boosts the nutritional content. :)

I even blend onions and peppers to get the flavor but it hides them from the kids, you could do that too with the veggies