What's your exercise schedule? Beginning again....

Options
Just finished my first seven days. I know from past attempts that it's best to mix things up. I did mostly cardio (walking 3 mph/ 3 miles and 20 minutes on stationary bike and stretching (yoga) every day this week. Coming from complete couch potato stage my legs are sore today but I want to keep going without getting hurt. (I.e. plantar fascia, twisted ankle or spraining something which has happened several times in the past from being too gung hoo in the beginning wanting to get it done)

I want to ad a dumb bell workout and get a schedule going.

Have been tearing my house apart looking for my P90X dvds to no avail. Grrrr!!!!!

I remember Tony worked a different part or way each day. Back, chest and abs on day 1 then plyometrics jumping the next.

What's your routine right now? Or is there a new way to do this.

My first goal is consistency. Which means not over doing and getting hurt but pushing hard enough to get serious results. Makes sense?

Replies

• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    gym at 5:30 am before work
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    At home dvds and pole dancing :) works for me!

2 workouts a week Btw!
  • ZobiaQureshi
    ZobiaQureshi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the Couch 2 5k app! I am at week 3 day 1 but it feeels great! This usually consumes 25-30 minutes of the day. Afterwords, I either run a little more or walk until i hit my calorie goal (200-300 burn)
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I use fitnessblender.com, right now I'm doing FB FIT (8 week plan, 5-6x 50 min aprox) but I started with their low impact plan.

My week looks like this more or less

HIIT + Lower body
    Upper body (sometimes with cardio sometimes without)
    cardio + abs
    HIIT and lower body
    Upper body
    Yoga/ stretching

All you need is weights for most fitnessblender workouts, they are free on youtube and lots of people build their own workout plans. I paid the 16 CAD for mine because I just didn't want to make my own. I can't recommend them enough.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 3 times a week doing stronglifts 5x5, and now that it's getting nicer out I'm walking to and from the gym, and I often walk a lot on non-gym days, and I'm trying to get back into doing yoga a few times a week too.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I started with Beachbody programs. Quite sure I didn't actually get much done the first week because I was so horribly sore after the first workout (who am I kidding, I didn't even get through the warm up LOL).

So that was basically 4-6 days a week. I've changed things up since (did other classes, did some running, did some elliptical) but I try to do something every day. Typically nowadays it's 90 minutes on the bike or at the gym (I do rowing, weights, incline walking, or just incline walking), and my 'rest' days are usually a 3.5 mile walk in the neighborhood (or at the gym with a lower incline - so 6% instead of 8+).
  • sthome925
    sthome925 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do cardio 5-6 days a week with strength and weight training 3-4 days a week. I've been training in gym hardcore for the past 10 years and have had to switch up my workouts every few months because of hitting plateaus.
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I do some form of exercise everyday for at least 30 minutes.

Walking the dog in the am and pm. Doing a 45 minute cardio/aerobic workout video. Strength training. Now that it's nicer bike rides, racquetball, swimming.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise everyday but I try to several times a week: long walk, static bike, bit of strength training, bit of running, "stepper" machine (not sure how you call that in English). When I can"t exercise because I work late, I do everything i can to at least get my 10,000+ steps a day and that helps a lot :) I also don't feel bad when I get a rest day, they're good also!
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    At home I'm currently doing CIZE and then either Zumba or Walk away the pounds every morning.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I've been back at it for a week too! Yay us!
    AquaFit 60min class 1x week
    Bikram Yoga 90min class 4xweek
    3-5K walk (with intermittent jogging) 3x week.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Gym after work every weekday for cardio, 2-3 days a week either at night after supper or 4am before work I do weight lifting. I am trying to get a better schedule for the weights but my weekday cardio is spot on...love it. I want to get my bike tuned up and start riding now that the weather is nice.
  • mgookin1
    mgookin1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am really out of shape and heavy at the moment, So my abilities are limited. I try to walk a minimum of 7-10k Steps a day. Its been about a week and now I am adding in Jump roping, Since it is one of my favorite things to do. I am starting with 10 minute sessions 3x a day every other day. After I start adjusting to that, I will probably start doing with some at home videos.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,062 Member
    Options
    Walk as part of my commute before and after work.
    Walk at lunch.
    Climb stairs periodically throughout the day to a total of 30-40 flights.
    Walk or cycle ... and sometimes lift weights ... after work.
    Cycle on the weekends.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Balaru wrote: »
    What's your routine right now?

My routine is tailored to my goals, abilities, and preferences.. all of which might be very different than yours. ;)

• Balaru
    Balaru Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    For those of you who do weight training - how did you get started and do you have a routine for that as far as which parts you work or do you work all of it every time?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    For those of you who do weight training - how did you get started and do you have a routine for that as far as which parts you work or do you work all of it every time?

I started off with a 3 day per week full body workout. It was one that a personal trainer made for me. There were two workouts (A and B ) and I just alternated them. I like full body workouts and I like upper/lower splits (generally 2 days of upper and 2 days of lower each week.) There are so many programs that you can do. Here is a short list of programs that vary in # days per week, sets, reps, and equipment. They contain generally the same core exercises but vary in the variations of those exercises and whether or not they include accessory or assistance exercises.

* A Workout Routine (beginner) - http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/
    * All Pro's - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
    * Fierce 5 (note that there are several variations from beginner to advanced, 3-5 day, plus a dumbbell program) - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162916931&p=1266578971&viewfull=1#post1266578971
    * Frankoman’s Dumbbell Only Split - https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/frankoman-dumbbell-only-split.html
    * Full body dumbbell routine (note: women and men can use the same rep range, if you want to go low do it, if you want to go high do it. I promise that neither will make you gain or lose a Y chromosome.) - https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html
    * NROLFW - http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women
    * Starting Strength & Practical Programming Novice - http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
    * Strong Curves - http://bretcontreras.com/wp-content/uploads/Strong-Curves-Workout-Templates.pdf
    * Stronglifts - http://stronglifts.com/
  • Balaru
    Balaru Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will check them out! :)
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options

I prefer DVD workouts so I've done Chalean Extreme, which I really like, and just started Body Beast yesterday. I have a full set of weights at the house, though, so that makes it easy to do at home.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Just finished my first seven days. I know from past attempts that it's best to mix things up. I did mostly cardio (walking 3 mph/ 3 miles and 20 minutes on stationary bike and stretching (yoga) every day this week. Coming from complete couch potato stage my legs are sore today but I want to keep going without getting hurt. (I.e. plantar fascia, twisted ankle or spraining something which has happened several times in the past from being too gung hoo in the beginning wanting to get it done)

I want to add a dumb bell workout and get a schedule going.

Have been tearing my house apart looking for my P90X dvds to no avail. Grrrr!!!!!

I remember Tony worked a different part or way each day. Back, chest and abs on day 1 then plyometrics jumping the next.

What's your routine right now? Or is there a new way to do this.

My first goal is consistency. Which means not over doing and getting hurt but pushing hard enough to get serious results. Makes sense?

Is your actually question "What's a way to increase activity without hurting myself by overdoing, as has happened in the past?"

Current exercise routines for people who have been exercising for years are not really relevant to your situation.