Eating out Golden Coral aka Giant buffet

Options
I made it through my first challenge of meeting a friend for lunch and planning my calories around the
po-boy lunch and making sure I put in enough exercise to offset. Felt like I passed the test.

Now my 83 year old Daddy wants to take us to the Golden Coral which is a huge buffet. Need a strategy to get through this.

I'm thinking face the window not the food. You can't exactly measure portion sizes. And there's so much to choose from that's not healthy.

Really want to have a plan and stick to it. Anybody else been there?

Going somewhere else is not an option. He's paying and he's stubborn.

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I love Golden Corral. Thankfully, there's only one in my area and it's a little bit of a drive to get there, and it's always slammed so we never eat at it. The only time we eat there is when we're traveling, so it's a once or twice a year treat for me. I would say if this is not somewhere you eat very often, just go and make your daddy happy because spending time with him is way more important than a few extra calories. Eat at the salad bar first, and go from there. I seriously wouldn't stress about it. It's one meal.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple and look for foods that you would normally eat at home. Load up on salad and nonstarchy vegetables, choose grilled/baked/steamed meats and seafood instead of breaded/fried, eat starchy foods/fats/added sugars in moderation, etc. Personally, I might choose a smaller plate instead of a larger one and wait 5-10 minutes after finishing my plate before going back up for seconds/thirds (and have the second/third plate be almost all vegetables)

I found this part of their website to be pretty helpful. It's nice that they provide nutrition info, especially when you can look through it and plan out what stuff you want to eat while meeting your calorie goals.
    http://goldencorral.com/healthyplate/healthy_menus.php
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    they do have a lot of healthy option though as well. just eat more of the healthier items and less of the not so healthy ones. but then again there arent really any unhealthy foods all foods they have there have benefits. some are just higher calorie than the others.I load up on meats and veggies when I go, which isnt often. our nearest one is 75 miles one way.I think their food is good too. if you dont want something from the buffet they do have menus where you can order something else.
  • Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Balaru wrote: »
    I made it through my first challenge of meeting a friend for lunch and planning my calories around the po-boy lunch and making sure I put in enough exercise to offset. Felt like I passed the test.

Now my 83 year old Daddy wants to take us to the Golden Coral which is a huge buffet. Need a strategy to get through this.

I'm thinking face the window not the food. You can't exactly measure portion sizes. And there's so much to choose from that's not healthy.

Really want to have a plan and stick to it. Anybody else been there?

Going somewhere else is not an option. He's paying and he's stubborn.

Balaru, My GLOW {God Loves Older Women} group meets weekly at Golden Corral. You may not be able to measure exactly but most of GC dishes are actually in MFP and you can guestimate. I go for the Fajita chicken and get 3 - 4 pieces of that, a small pork loin steak about the size of the palm of my hand, 6 brussels sprouts, a spoon of steamed cabbage and a spoon of zucchini. Go, enjoy lunch with your Daddy {I wish I could have lunch with mine one more time}, if you over eat a smidgen just correct yourself the next meal. Eat to satisfaction - not stuffed. You can do this.

Type in Golden Corral and check out the calories in the foods, make your plan and stick to it. If you did it with your friend you can do it with your Daddy no matter where he wants to go.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I love Golden Corral. Thankfully, there's only one in my area and it's a little bit of a drive to get there, and it's always slammed so we never eat at it. The only time we eat there is when we're traveling, so it's a once or twice a year treat for me. I would say if this is not somewhere you eat very often, just go and make your daddy happy because spending time with him is way more important than a few extra calories. Eat at the salad bar first, and go from there. I seriously wouldn't stress about it. It's one meal.

This would be my advice as well.
  • BettyEtte
    BettyEtte Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Eat a bowl of plain oatmeal before you go (or something filling like that),and you won't be tempted to overeat when you get there.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's one meal. Treasure the company. I usually make those opportunities a 'treat' because I never have a problem getting back on track, but if that worries you proceed like any other meal, compose a healthy plate and don't go back for more.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I love Golden Corral. Went there for the first time last summer because they have a chocolate fountain and cotton candy and now my kids think I'm the best mom ever. We went again over Spring Break and while I wasn't restricting calories, I was a little under the weather so looked for more healthier options. The salad section wasn't limited at all and there was a good amount of fruit considering the season. They had some really good seasoned white fish while I was there too...yumm. I have a really hard time with only eating a few things at buffets, esp when they offer so much ( hey I'm Canadian, we don't have Buffets like this here). Sorry I've gone off a bit, sorry I'm no help. FYI my picture is from GC this Spring....don't get any of it, it's just too good....I me a not too good :p
  • Balaru
    Balaru Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Well we've talked him into Applebees this time and I've gone online to look at the menu so that helps. But I'm sure he will want to go to the Golden Corral again sometime soon. Thanks for all the tips guys!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    Observe the massive mounds of food that people pile on their plates. Observe the size of the people piling on the food. Don't do that.

If you saw me there and what I ate, and then looked at my size right now, you'd think I'm super human with a high speed metabolism. But really, I eat like that very rarely. ;) You don't get fat by eating one big meal.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Observe the massive mounds of food that people pile on their plates. Observe the size of the people piling on the food. Don't do that.

If you saw me there and what I ate, and then looked at my size right now, you'd think I'm super human with a high speed metabolism. But really, I eat like that very rarely. ;)You don't get fat by eating one big meal.
    Tell that to my grandmother. She told me today that I was going to get fat by eating a big salad (probably 3 cups) and vegetable soup (2 cups) for lunch (400ish calories total). And yet, she sees no problem with eating Klondikes for breakfast. :s
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

If you saw me there and what I ate, and then looked at my size right now, you'd think I'm super human with a high speed metabolism. But really, I eat like that very rarely. ;) You don't get fat by eating one big meal.

I second this.

I also eat freely at buffet. It's just a great treat day that's already paid for. There are so So SO many days that I don't eat out and can cut back on.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    They have other options aside from the buffet. If you don't trust yourself with a buffet, order a singular entree. You can check the nutritional information on their website and decide what to get before you go. Alternatively, you can just get the salad bar. As long as you are rational with the cheese/dressing/nuts/croutons/bacon, you can have endless veggies at little calorie cost.

Research it before you go and decide what to do you want before you get there, and don't deviate from the plan.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »

If you saw me there and what I ate, and then looked at my size right now, you'd think I'm super human with a high speed metabolism. But really, I eat like that very rarely. ;)You don't get fat by eating one big meal.
    Tell that to my grandmother. She told me today that I was going to get fat by eating a big salad (probably 3 cups) and vegetable soup (2 cups) for lunch (400ish calories total). And yet, she sees no problem with eating Klondikes for breakfast. :s

I don't admire her wisdom (no offense) but I admire her breakfast.
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »

I don't admire her wisdom (no offense) but I admire her breakfast.

ahahah same, I was like, "Listen a mint chocolate chip klondike bar (my fav) has 230 cal in it, and I've had worse breakfasts"

But in all seriousness, I feel you on the judginess of grandmothers, mine is OBSESSED with her weight, and my mother's, and mine, and feels the need to comment on the 'badness' of what we're eating. It's worse with my sister, who is overweight, (which is, to my mind, her business and no one else's) grandma can be downright mean, even if she and I are eating the same thing.
  • scorpcookie
    scorpcookie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I love Golden Coral. Haven't been to one in almost 10 years. It's a good thing I don't live near one anymore because I would usually get 3-4 plates of food for dinner and then 1-2 plates of desserts. I had to make sure I got my money's worth whenever I went, even if it resulted in a food coma when I got back home.
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I love Golden Coral. Haven't been to one in almost 10 years. It's a good thing I don't live near one anymore because I would usually get 3-4 plates of food for dinner and then 1-2 plates of desserts. I had to make sure I got my money's worth whenever I went, even if it resulted in a food coma when I got back home.

Lol right ?!? Gotta get my moneys worth haha.