Lose, then gain, then lose, then gain...normal?

Options
Hello!

I've been on a training program for 9 weeks now which consists of a combo of strength training, HIIT, and a 1200-1300 calorie/day goal (high protein). While I'm down 13 pounds, I find that one week I will lose weight, and the next I've gained, and this been repeating every week. It's frustrating! I am SUPER dedicated to my nutrition and my workouts. I always give it 100%, so I know the weight loss isn't due to negligence. Is this normal?

Thanks!

Replies

• Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. Some days you will "gain" because you had something heavier the night before. Or you have water retention. So yes, it's normal. Are you measuring? Sometimes you wont drop any weight but lose inches. I was like that for a MONTH, losing and gaining 5 pounds but losing inches.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Super normal. Weight loss is an energy balance over time, it doesn't work on a 24-hour clock or a weekly schedule. If you know for sure that your calorie intake is accurate, then it's just normal fluctuations, especially if it's just a pound or two. My weight can fluctuate 5 pounds in a day just from fluid intake and food but it's not fat. You say you're down 13 pounds, so what you're doing is working. :) Good job.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. Don't get hung up on the scale/number too much. Your body is going to fluctuate a lot.
  • RaeRaeCampbell
    RaeRaeCampbell Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That's a relief to hear! Yes, I weigh everything I eat and have been eating only whole foods that I make at home. I workout 6-7 days a week for about 1-1.5 hours each time. I haven't tried measuring myself but I will definitely give that a go. Thanks for the help!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Here's three months of my daily weigh-ins. Yes, totally normal.

weight_3mos.png