Why do macros matter?

Options
If we are talking CICO, then why does it matter if there is nice tidy breakdown of those calories among different macros or if 100% of it comes straight from shoveling spoonfuls of sugar into your mouth?

I understand the health portion of it. But as far as weight loss is concerned, a calorie is a calorie right?

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    For fat loss, yes, calories matter.

However, protein intake affects the ratio lost of muscle to fat. If you have very low protein (as in your all sugar diet) you'll end up breaking down a lot of muscle and losing a lot of muscle mass along with the fat mass.

And insufficient protein for a long time is one of the deadlier of the various types of malnutrition. If you see the starving kids in Africa with pot bellies, they tend to have kwashiorkor, meaning they actually get enough calories but are severely protein deficient.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

However, protein intake affects the ratio lost of muscle to fat. If you have very low protein (as in your all sugar diet) you'll end up breaking down a lot of muscle and losing a lot of muscle mass along with the fat mass.

Tell that to the 80/10/10 guy who will tell you everything you never wanted to know about how awesome carbz are (he lifts weights regularly, and does look rather buff).

Everyone has their own personal macro split that works best for them. Some people eat higher carb, some higher fat. It's a personal choice. I eat lower-ish carb (<100g most days) because I'm gluten intolerant and do not eat GF bread on a regular basis, but I don't make a conscious choice to be low carb, if that makes sense. The keto crowd does their thing, and there are some people who are happy with the MFP default 50/30/20.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    If we are talking CICO, then why does it matter if there is nice tidy breakdown of those calories among different macros or if 100% of it comes straight from shoveling spoonfuls of sugar into your mouth?

I understand the health portion of it. But as far as weight loss is concerned, a calorie is a calorie right?

I've never tracked macros, only calories. Lost around 50lbs this way and I'm now 3 years into maintenance doing the same. I eat all sorts of foods, including sugary ones. Never had any issues as long as I've been mindful of calorie intake.
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    it just depends what your ultimate goal is. if your main concern is weight loss then all that matters is calories. However if you are concerned about health then you should watch your Macros and what your calories consist of (and exercise). totally up to you
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Do two weeks on 1 lb per day of sugar and report back :-)
  • ClosetBayesian
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Heh, I travel this week for a conference; conference catering tends to favor bakery stuff, which I cannot eat (severely gluten intolerant); I've given a lot of consideration to a Snickers Diet for the four days I'm away from home...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Macros are a good thing to be aware of in regards to balancing your diet, but I don't sweat trying to hit exactly X protein or X fat or X carbs...I'm aware of them and I like to be in the general neighborhood of my targets.

Macros can also play a profound roll in fitness performance as well as recovery and overall body composition.

Also, some people do need to track their macros fairly meticulously due to medical conditions and whatnot.

In general, I think people tend to do far too much handwringing over their macros. Eat a healthy and balanced diet that consists largely of whole, nutrient dense foods and the rest tends to take care of itself.
  • Microscopes
    Microscopes Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Haha.

I obviously wouldn't do that.

Just giving a dramatic example.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

Haha.

Try a twinkle or doughnut diet on the MFP recommended calories and come back and tell us 1) you lost weight and 2) you feel like total crap... but you did loose weight.

Adequate protein for me is a must when trying to loose weight. I like to keep as much of my muscles as possible.
  • ClosetBayesian
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Haha.

Try a twinkle or doughnut diet on the MFP recommended calories and come back and tell us 1) you lost weight and 2) you feel like total crap... but you did loose weight.

Adequate protein for me is a must when trying to loose weight. I like to keep as much of my muscles as possible.

Does a Snickers Diet count as a gluten-free alternative to the Twinkie Diet?
  • rankinsect
    Options

Pure sugar, or added sugars in foods? When hiking I could easily eat more than a pound of added sugars per day. Good hiking food tends to be both high in fats and added sugars, since calorie density is the key to a lighter pack, and you want carbs for quick energy.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I have issues with being able to tell if I'm full or not. When I eat lower carbish (150g a day) I feel satisfied longer. It's nice because I still get to eat what carbs I want, but less of them, and still feel less hungry.
  • rankinsect
    Options
    I have issues with being able to tell if I'm full or not. When I eat lower carbish (150g a day) I feel satisfied longer. It's nice because I still get to eat what carbs I want, but less of them, and still feel less hungry.

I tend to just look at individual foods, not macros, for what is personally satisfying to me. I do find high-protein foods (e.g. lean meats) to be very filling, but I also find starchy foods (e.g. pastas) to be very filling for the number of calories.

Definitely agree about finding what fills you up - the core of every day of mine usually tends to be one meal that I find very filling. About the only time I don't get that are when I want a big portion of something like ice cream, then I have to simply accept some increased level of hunger on that day.
  • yarwell
    Options

Heh, I travel this week for a conference; conference catering tends to favor bakery stuff, which I cannot eat (severely gluten intolerant); I've given a lot of consideration to a Snickers Diet for the four days I'm away from home...

the peanuts will be too good for you.
  • yarwell
    Options

Pure sugar, or added sugars in foods? When hiking I could easily eat more than a pound of added sugars per day. Good hiking food tends to be both high in fats and added sugars, since calorie density is the key to a lighter pack, and you want carbs for quick energy.

Just sugar and water. Keep it simple, easy to measure calories precisely. No confounding protein or fat content to bother about.
  • rankinsect
    Options

Just sugar and water. Keep it simple, easy to measure calories precisely. No confounding protein or fat content to bother about.

That's certainly unhealthy for someone, as I think my dentist would have a stroke :smile:
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options

True stuff. I hit a bit plateau at the beginning of the year when I added strength training to my regular running. The big thing that changed it was tracking my macros and making sure I was getting enough protein each day.
  • koreangurl
    koreangurl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Protein effects muscle mass, carbohydrates gives you energy and fats regulate hormones. If your goal is just to lose weight than macros don't matter!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Macros help me with moderation. I love and eat pizza, bagels, and donuts. If I try to fill my day with donuts, I will still want to eat more and blow away my calorie goal. Watching macros help me to eat foods I like but still be overall satisfied. Maybe its just all mental, who knows. For instance, yesterday I ate mostly pizza, but I have no guilt about it because I met my macro and calorie goals.