Has anyone done a detox?

Options
Bradford904
Bradford904 Posts: 23 Member
I was in the grocery store last week and saw a detox box within the health care section. I've never done that before. Is this a good thing to do from time to time?

Replies

• Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    No

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-detox-scam-how-to-spot-it-and-how-to-avoid-it/

Although I admit to doing one many years ago - didn't eat for three days- just water and the magic mixture - could have saved $50 and just fasted for 3 days
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I was in the grocery store last week and saw a detox box within the health care section. I've never done that before. Is this a good thing to do from time to time?

No
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to detox anything from your body that won't be naturally eliminated. Save your money.
  • Beastie1982
    Beastie1982 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The best detox is to drink water. You can add lemon, cucumber or 1tbsp of Bragg apple cider unfiltered vinegar. Works great for me but to the water with vinegar I'm adding 1tsp of honey for better taste.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    No need to pay for what your body does naturally.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    No

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-detox-scam-how-to-spot-it-and-how-to-avoid-it/

Although I admit to doing one many years ago - didn't eat for three days- just water and the magic mixture - could have saved $50 and just fasted for 3 days

I just followed this link, a great article, which needs to be read by anyone considering a "Detox"

• Bradford904
    Options
    The best detox is to drink water. You can add lemon, cucumber or 1tbsp of Bragg apple cider unfiltered vinegar. Works great for me but to the water with vinegar I'm adding 1tsp of honey for better taste.

How much water are you drinking for the 1tbsp of vinegar or 1 tsp of honey?
  • TheRiceLord
    TheRiceLord Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Best detox is water. Drink at least a gallon a day. At first you will pee a lot, but then your body will adapt and you will pee less because your body is now keeping the water in, which is good. The nutrients will also flow through your body at a better rate. Good luck. Feel free to add me if you have any questions or need help. Im down 20 lbs now and want to lose maybe 15 more at the most.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

@Bradford904 homemade detoxes don't work either. When people claim that they've tried them & they worked but aren't salespeople, promoting their product; it's solely what's known as a "placebo effect". Basically they're neglecting to mention and/or even don't realize that their improved health, stems from other changes; that they've made. Such as: Eating less (if they're overweight), Eating healthier (ensuring that they're consuming, enough macro-nutrients), Exercising regularly (having to turn the channel manually because you're unable, to find the remote; doesn't count). The only detoxes that work, come from a hospital & you either have to be a drug addict and/or have organ failure.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Dude. Don't. Read the information in the thread and the link pointing out that detoxes are a scam.

You want to take care of yourself? Eat a well balanced diet with a limited amount of sweets and alcohol. Don't smoke. If you need to lose weight then set a calorie goal with a modest daily calorie deficit and stick with it. Lift weights or find another way to strength train. Do regular cardio.

That's it. No magic pills. No detoxes. No quick loss/get shredded in 30 days or less/massive amounts of cardio games.
  • Beastie1982
    Options

What I do is for 16oz glass of warm water I put 1tbsp of vinegar, 1tsp oh honey and I squeeze some lime in it. I drink this first thing in the morning. Works for me good, my skin looks better, my hair stop falling and my stomach is getting more flat. Before I was stool softener user everyday no more need it. You need to try what will be working for you
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

What I do is for 16oz glass of warm water I put 1tbsp of vinegar, 1tsp oh honey and I squeeze some lime in it. I drink this first thing in the morning. Works for me good, my skin looks better, my hair stop falling and my stomach is getting more flat. Before I was stool softener user everyday no more need it. You need to try what will be working for you

And by what process do you believe adding acetic acid, glucose, fructose and water and a touch of vitamin C and water to warm water is making your hair stop falling out and flattening your stomach? I'd really be interested

As for skin and stool softener, pretty sure that's the hydration.
  • Beastie1982
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

And by what process do you believe adding acetic acid, glucose, fructose and water and a touch of vitamin C and water to warm water is making your hair stop falling out and flattening your stomach? I'd really be interested

Vinegar contains essential nutrients like potassium, iron, Vitamins A, C, B1, B6, which provide perfect nutrients for the growth of hair and prevent of hair loss. It is rich in active enzymes, mallic acid and has antiseptic property which prevents the growth of, bacterial and yeast infection causing itchy scalp. Honey is an emollient, it also improves the health of the hair follicles which are responsible for hair growth. It is a natural antioxidant, so it tends to make your scalp healthy and stimulate hair growth. We all know that honey is a humectant, it tends to prevent the loss of moisture from your scalp. But honey has also high sugar content which helps to retain moisture. This as a result prevents hair fall and strengthens the hair follicles. Honey also comprises of antibacterial and antiseptic qualities too. This prevents our scalp from infections or psoriasis and tends to keep our scalp clean and bacteria-free. Lemon is fully packed with many nutrients like citric acid, calcium, magnesium, vitamin C and flavonoids.
    The vitamin C enhances the development of the braid and also makes the hair stronger. The residue of lemon contains ph 2 and it is highly acidic in nature. The compound limonene present in the lemon acid helps increases the flow of blood which in turn enhances and mends the follicles of the hair.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    dracula.gif
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Vinegar contains essential nutrients like potassium, iron, Vitamins A, C, B1, B6, which provide perfect nutrients for the growth of hair and prevent of hair loss. It is rich in active enzymes, mallic acid and has antiseptic property which prevents the growth of, bacterial and yeast infection causing itchy scalp. Honey is an emollient, it also improves the health of the hair follicles which are responsible for hair growth. It is a natural antioxidant, so it tends to make your scalp healthy and stimulate hair growth. We all know that honey is a humectant, it tends to prevent the loss of moisture from your scalp. But honey has also high sugar content which helps to retain moisture. This as a result prevents hair fall and strengthens the hair follicles. Honey also comprises of antibacterial and antiseptic qualities too. This prevents our scalp from infections or psoriasis and tends to keep our scalp clean and bacteria-free. Lemon is fully packed with many nutrients like citric acid, calcium, magnesium, vitamin C and flavonoids.
    The vitamin C enhances the development of the braid and also makes the hair stronger. The residue of lemon contains ph 2 and it is highly acidic in nature. The compound limonene present in the lemon acid helps increases the flow of blood which in turn enhances and mends the follicles of the hair.

I mean this mixture isn't going to hurt you, but it really isn't going to help you. Yes these things are packed with lots of nutrients, but just one squeeze of lemon isn't going to supply you with enough vitamins and minerals to make much of a difference. You're better off getting your essential vitamins and nutrients through a well rounded diet.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    This works as well as any of them:
    3f5uxrtgb2ea.jpg
  • Bradford904
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your informative inputs. @Beastie1982 you sound like a bonifide nutritionist :smiley:@Diannethegeek, thanks for the super link!

All and all, I've learned that the commercial stuff is just crap they are selling to make a buck off people that think it works. Even Dr. Oz is in that game as well, probably in it to make a buck of people's insecurities that they need it.