Nutrition Label Question

Options
AMRROL
AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
Probably a stupid question, but I bought a bag of small (precooked, frozen with shell and head on) shrimp, 500 grams. The label says 99 calories per serving, which is 125 grams. After I eat a portion (125 grams), should I weigh the inedible shell and heads, and subtract it from the 125 grams? They weight almost 45% of the total weight.

So, it is 99 calories for the 125 grams OR 49 calories for only the edible portion?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Servings is hopeless. Does the label say how many servings are in the bag? Anyway, the correct way to do it is to state information on nutrition for the edible part. 99 calories should therefore be for 125 grams of shrimp meat. If you served yourself 125 grams gross, you have eaten 49 calories of shrimp.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Servings is hopeless. Does the label say how many servings are in the bag? Anyway, the correct way to do it is to state information on nutrition for the edible part. 99 calories should therefore be for 125 grams of shrimp meat. If you served yourself 125 grams gross, you have eaten 49 calories of shrimp.

Sorry reread your post, so wil just include the USDA entry which has 149 calories for 125 grams of cooked, previously frozen, shrimp meat.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4630?man=&lfacet=&count=&max=35&qlookup=Shrimp&offset=&sort=&format=Abridged&reportfmt=other&rptfrm=&ndbno=&nutrient1=&nutrient2=&nutrient3=&subset=&totCount=&measureby=&_action_show=Apply+Changes&Qv=1.25&Q8725=3.0&Q8726=4.0
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Looking at the USDA (usda only counts edible portions)
    Shrimp Raw (not frozen) = 125 g / 106 calories
    Shrimp Raw, mixed species (may have been frozen) = 125 g / 89 calories
    Shrimp Cooked, mixed species (may have been frozen = 125 g / 149 calories (minus 45% being 68.75 g / 82 calories)
  • kommodevaran
    edited April 2016
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »

Disagree. If he ate 125g of shrimp meat only, then based on USDA data entry, he ate about 149 calories

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4630?man=&lfacet=&count=&max=35&qlookup=Shrimp&offset=&sort=&format=Abridged&reportfmt=other&rptfrm=&ndbno=&nutrient1=&nutrient2=&nutrient3=&subset=&totCount=&measureby=&_action_show=Apply+Changes&Qv=1.25&Q8725=3.0&Q8726=4.0

But he didn't eat 125 grams of shrimp meat. He ate around 69 grams. That would be 49 calories.
    "Nutrient values and weights are for edible portion" is ambiguous, but it means that you only calculate what you actually eat.

Refreshed the page now :D
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    For shrimp I use USDA entries for cooked shrimp and weigh it once it's thawed (usually under warm water for 5 minutes), and don't count the tail.
  • cajuntank
    Options

Disagree. If he ate 125g of shrimp meat only, then based on USDA data entry, he ate about 149 calories

But he didn't eat 125 grams of shrimp meat. He ate around 69 grams. That would be 49 calories.
    "Nutrient values and weights are for edible portion" is ambiguous, but it means that you only calculate what you actually eat.

Refreshed the page now :D

You're too fast for me...could not edit my post that quick after I noticed I misread yours. :D
  • cajuntank
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Shrimp Cooked, mixed species (may have been frozen = 125 g / 149 calories (minus 45% being 68.75 g / 82 calories)

The entries are for meat only, so there should be no further subtraction needed if he weighs just the meat.
  • AMRROL
    AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The bag says 500 grams total weight including head and shells, and indicates 4 servings of 125 grams. Stated that there is 124 calories in each 125 gram serving. Also states 99 calories for 100 grams. I measured out 100 grams, then weighed the shell and heads after eating which was 42 grams. So what do I log. 100 grams or 58 grams.

I live in Switzerland and I don't want to assume that the nutrition labels are for edible portions only. The label simply states that there are 4 servings of 125 grams, and that the calories are 124 per serving. So roughly, a 500 gram package yields 290 edible grams.
  • cajuntank
    edited April 2016
    Options
    AMRROL wrote: »
    The bag says 500 grams total weight including head and shells, and indicates 4 servings of 125 grams. Stated that there is 124 calories in each 125 gram serving. Also states 99 calories for 100 grams. I measured out 100 grams, then weighed the shell and heads after eating which was 42 grams. So what do I log. 100 grams or 58 grams.

I live in Switzerland and I don't want to assume that the nutrition labels are for edible portions only. The label simply states that there are 4 servings of 125 grams, and that the calories are 124 per serving. So roughly, a 500 gram package yields 290 edible grams.

It's close enough and errors on the side of probably being most correct.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4630?man=&lfacet=&count=&max=35&qlookup=Shrimp&offset=&sort=&format=Abridged&reportfmt=other&rptfrm=&ndbno=&nutrient1=&nutrient2=&nutrient3=&subset=&totCount=&measureby=&_action_show=Apply+Changes&Qv=.58&Q8725=3.0&Q8726=4.0
  • kommodevaran
    Options

I live in Switzerland and I don't want to assume that the nutrition labels are for edible portions only. The label simply states that there are 4 servings of 125 grams, and that the calories are 124 per serving. Hmmm

That is not "good form" and I would have expected more from the Swiss :#
    You have several options. Go with general values for similar products (as the USDA website). Write the manufacturer an angry mail. Log, shrug it off and never buy that product again.
  • shadow2soul
    Options

The entries are for meat only, so there should be no further subtraction needed if he weighs just the meat.

@cajuntank - The subtraction at the last part is because he said he weighed 125 g including the not edible portion. He also said that the not edible portion was about 45% of the 125 g he originally weighed. That translates to he at 68.75 g of actual shrimp meat.

@AMRROL - looks like they are using the information for 125 g cooked shrimp (not frozen)
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4740?man=&lfacet=&count=&max=35&qlookup=+shrimp,+cooked&offset=&sort=&format=Abridged&reportfmt=other&rptfrm=&ndbno=&nutrient1=&nutrient2=&nutrient3=&subset=&totCount=&measureby=&_action_show=Apply+Changes&Qv=1.25&Q8934=3.0
  • cajuntank
    Options

@cajuntank - The subtraction at the last part is because he said he weighed 125 g including the not edible portion. He also said that the not edible portion was about 45% of the 125 g he originally weighed. That translates to he at 68.75 g of actual shrimp meat.

@AMRROL - looks like they are using the information for 125 g cooked shrimp (not frozen)
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4740?man=&lfacet=&count=&max=35&qlookup=+shrimp,+cooked&offset=&sort=&format=Abridged&reportfmt=other&rptfrm=&ndbno=&nutrient1=&nutrient2=&nutrient3=&subset=&totCount=&measureby=&_action_show=Apply+Changes&Qv=1.25&Q8934=3.0

It might be too early in the morning for me, but by your calculations, the tail and shell would have the same nutritional value of the meat...and I don't think that is the case.
  • shadow2soul
    Options

It might be too early in the morning for me, but by your calculations, the tail and shell would have the same nutritional value of the meat...and I don't think that is the case.

All I did was subtract 45% that wasn't edible to get the number in grams of actual meat he ate. Plugging that number into the USDA's food list came up with 68.75 g of cooked, mixed species, may have been frozen = 82 calories.
  • cajuntank
    Options

All I did was subtract 45% that wasn't edible to get the number in grams of actual meat he ate. Plugging that number into the USDA's food list came up with 68.75 g of cooked, mixed species, may have been frozen = 82 calories.

Gotcha. I have to stop looking at these threads before I actually wake up. :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    When I get something labelled like that I divide it right away into 4 servings (or how ever many are listed on the label), eat one, and log it according to the label information per serving. It helps that I live alone so I know I will be eating the entire package eventually so if I am a tiny bit over on one serving, I will be a tiny bit under on the next and they will all balance out.

I do this with stews and casseroles I make myself. I weigh and measure all of the ingredients and decide how many servings it will make and enter that into the recipe builder. I then divide up the finished dish into the number of servings as best as I can visually (I am actually pretty good at it, having checked myself with the scale a few times) and log one serving each time I eat it.

BTW: I LOVE shrimp as a snack.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options

Hi
    I could be wrong but if the bags contents weight 500 grams and it has 4 servings than the 125 grams is for the way they are in the bag. So in that case 125 grams before peeling is a serving. Done. Read the label for the weight of the bags content or weigh the entire bag and divide by 4 to get a serving.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Rule #1 is that the net weight of a bag is NEVER accurate, so basing the number of servings in a bag from that is going to be inaccurate.