Question about eating back

Options
When people say they eat half of their exercise calories back , does this mean calories from intentional exercise i.e. Running, walking, elliptical etc. Or does this mean all activity calories earned back? i.e. Calories you get from just moving around during the day. I have Fitbit synched and I am set on sedentary. I earn calories through this even if I don't do extra exercise on a particular day. Thank you.

Replies

• I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    yep I think it means intentional
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    With Fitbit = all...because what Fitbit is telling you is that you basically have your activity level set lower than it actually is.

Without Fitbit = only intentional exercise
  • aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I don't understand so mfp gives me 1600 a day without exercse and fitbit at the end of the day shows 2600 do i eat 2600?or do I take away 500 from that 2600?
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    aniqa109 wrote: »
    I don't understand so mfp gives me 1600 a day without exercse and fitbit at the end of the day shows 2600 do i eat 2600?or do I take away 500 from that 2600?

@aniqa109 - If the two are synced MFP will use your Fitbit information to make adjustments.

Lets, say you set MFP to lose 1 lb per week.

1600 calorie goal from MFP
    + 500 deficit required for 1 lb per week loss
    _______
    2100 calories to maintain

Fitbit tells MFP, well today she burned 2600. So MFP goes, " Okay, that's a bit more than I thought. If you want to lose 1 lb per week, I'm going to need to adjust your numbers."

2600 calorie burn from Fitbit
    -2100 MFP's estimated Maintenance
    500 calories

Now, MFP says: " To lose 1 lb per week you need to eat additional 500 calories per day based on the information your Fitbit sent over"
  • hotasfire36
    hotasfire36 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I dont usually eat all my exercise calories, but when I eat some i only eat intentional cals from working out.
  • I_amnr
    edited April 2016
    Options
    With Fitbit = all...because what Fitbit is telling you is that you basically have your activity level set lower than it actually is.

HMMMM

So what you are saying is that if the fitbit registers 3000 calories you only eat 15000

anyway I stopped using fitbit and got a heart rate monitor which also logs activity as the fitbit isn't very good at logging exercise for example if your fitbit doesn't have hrm it wont log anything on stationary bike .. If I sit at home all day I usually burn 2700 to 2800 and if I'm active and go to the gym its usally 3300 to 3800 but I just make sure I eat between 1800 and 2300 calories a day .. seems to work for me
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    clark614 wrote: »
    When people say they eat half of their exercise calories back , does this mean calories from intentional exercise i.e. Running, walking, elliptical etc. Or does this mean all activity calories earned back? i.e. Calories you get from just moving around during the day. I have Fitbit synched and I am set on sedentary. I earn calories through this even if I don't do extra exercise on a particular day. Thank you.

I wouldn't eat any calories back with fitbit sync'ed as it adds the calories for you anyway.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    I_amnr wrote: »

HMMMM

So what you are saying is that if the fitbit registers 3000 calories you only eat 15000

I'm assuming you meant 1500. If you did that, you would expect to lose 2.5 lbs per week. If say after a 3-4 weeks you lost less than that and you were fairly accurate with your food log (using a food scale, weighing everything) then it would be reasonable to assume the Fitbit was overestimating your calorie burn. Some people will remedy this by telling Fitbit they are shorter than they are.

~I wouldn't recommend anyone having a daily deficit of 1500 calories.~
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options

HMMMM

anyway I stopped using fitbit and got a heart rate monitor which also logs activity as the fitbit isn't very good at logging exercise for example if your fitbit doesn't have hrm it wont log anything on stationary bike .. If I sit at home all day I usually burn 2700 to 2800 and if I'm active and go to the gym its usally 3300 to 3800 but I just make sure I eat between 1800 and 2300 calories a day .. seems to work for me

I think you are confusing what fit bit says you burn in 24hrs which includes living with it as exercise.
    Sync the Fitbit to mfp and let it do the math , also enable negative settings in your diary ( on the mfp.com site) and it will takeaway those cals when you are not very active.
    It's up to you to decide if you want to eat back but if you do, be aware and adjust after a couple of weeks if you are not having the desired results.
  • I_amnr
    Options
    I do a lot of weight training and circuits and the fitbit I used didn't have a HRM so the results were very inaccurate because of the way fitbits registers motion .. so doing high intensity squats and dead lefts or even cycling on the road it just wont register well or register at all on a fitbit so when I had one I used to add my exercise onto of what ever it said I burnt .. not ideal but that's why I stopped using it :)

HMMMM

I think you are confusing what fit bit says you burn in 24hrs which includes living with it as exercise.
    Sync the Fitbit to mfp and let it do the math , also enable negative settings in your diary ( on the mfp.com site) and it will takeaway those cals when you are not very active.
    It's up to you to decide if you want to eat back but if you do, be aware and adjust after a couple of weeks if you are not having the desired results.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of weight training and circuits and the fitbit I used didn't have a HRM so the results were very inaccurate because of the way fitbits registers motion .. so doing high intensity squats and dead lefts or even cycling on the road it just wont register well or register at all on a fitbit so when I had one I used to add my exercise onto of what ever it said I burnt .. not ideal but that's why I stopped using it :)

HMMMM

Fitbit has exercise logging capability. If you do choose to use it again, you can enter your HRM burns (though, unless you're doing steady-state cardio, the numbers are probably inaccurate) and it will adjust the burned calories in that time frame.
  • I_amnr
    edited April 2016
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

HMMMM

Fitbit has exercise logging capability. If you do choose to use it again, you can enter your HRM burns (though, unless you're doing steady-state cardio, the numbers are probably inaccurate) and it will adjust the burned calories in that time frame.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fitbit-Wireless-Activity-Tracker-Wristband/dp/B00CIV6990?ie=UTF8&keywords=fitbit&qid=1460898478&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

This was the one I used, was a present though
    maybe my information is a bit misleading cause I didn't realise they had HRM versions on fitbit (Ive mostly used polar)
    Just to make sure Ive not got it wrong the one I posted has no exercise logging capabilities ?
  • shadow2soul
    Options

HMMMM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fitbit-Wireless-Activity-Tracker-Wristband/dp/B00CIV6990?ie=UTF8&keywords=fitbit&qid=1460898478&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

maybe my information is a bit misleading cause I didn't realise they had HRM versions on fitbit (Ive mostly used polar)
    Just to make sure Ive not got it wrong the one I posted has no exercise logging capabilities ?

You can log exercise in the Fitbit App or on the website dashboard (doesn't matter which model you have). I have one with a built in HRM, but I have used the Zip and Flex with a separate HRM. I would just go onto Fitbit's site and log whatever I did with the correct start time and duration with the calorie burn from the HRM. This would overwrite whatever Fitbit thought I had burned for that time frame with the calories that my I input.
  • aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    ThNkyou @shadow2soul
  • I_amnr
    Options
    Thanks for the info but alas its too late .. just spent £260 on a polar watch that does activity and has a HRM :)
    where were you when I needed you lol
    However my watch works quite well

HMMMM

You can log exercise in the Fitbit App or on the website dashboard (doesn't matter which model you have). I have one with a built in HRM, but I have used the Zip and Flex with a separate HRM. I would just go onto Fitbit's site and log whatever I did with the correct start time and duration with the calorie burn from the HRM. This would overwrite whatever Fitbit thought I had burned for that time frame with the calories that my I input.

• clark614
    clark614 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Well, I think I got my answer .