just playing in the pool, walking in the pool

I have a question, I'm new. I have a pool - it's only 4 feet deep, but pretty big. 33 feet diameter. When I go in it, I walk around, scoop bugs, tread water a little, play. I don't "swim" in it, like fitness swimming.

Can someone help me as to how to "count" the time in the pool? I'm sure it's low calorie burning, but I still want to log it. I log "light house cleaning", and also "riding the riding lawn mower" -- and although it's low, it still counts and makes a difference. :)

How would you log light movement in the pool? Like walking in the pool, etc...

Replies

• JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    You could wear some type of a waterproof watch/mile tracker thing where it counts how many steps you're making (there's a specific name for it).

Do you at least get your hair wet when you get in the pool? lol
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Or try aqua jogging, jogging around your pool. Burns about 600 calories an hour. When I went to public pool, I would jog laps, and with wall push turns I was burning 700 calories or so an hour. So pool is a good thing. There is an exercise in the MFP database for this. Just my opinion.
  • kindredspirit96
    kindredspirit96 Posts: 62 Member
    That's a good idea, that thing that's like a pedometer but it goes underwater.

Yes, I get my hair wet. :) It's only 4 feet deep, and round, so your feet are touching the ground the whole time.

When I do laps, I know how to log that, because it's on here. But if I'm just in the pool walking, I'm not sure how to log it.
  • kindredspirit96
    When you jog in the pool, you're touching bottom, right? Cause my pool is shallow. I found it in the apps, "water jogging" - it's impressive. :smile: Thank you!
    Or try aqua jogging, jogging around your pool. Burns about 600 calories an hour. When I went to public pool, I would jog laps, and with wall push turns I was burning 700 calories or so an hour. So pool is a good thing. There is an exercise in the MFP database for this. Just my opinion.
  • kindredspirit96
    I'm thinking that walking around in the pool, moving the whole time, but not vigorous (cleaning the pool, scooping out pollen and little bugs, playing with the kids), might be similar to the entry in the database that's treading water with moderate effort, not vigorous.

What do you think?
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    maybe couple hundred an hour tops. there is no chance you're burning 700 or whatever was claimed is possible.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    I'm thinking that walking around in the pool, moving the whole time, but not vigorous (cleaning the pool, scooping out pollen and little bugs, playing with the kids), might be similar to the entry in the database that's treading water with moderate effort, not vigorous.

What do you think?
    Pool activity burns more calories than the same activity outside of a pool, but unless you're doing actual exercises, it's not going to be a substantial difference. There are tons of youtube videos on water exercises. I would suggest doing those if you want a high (ish) caloric burn.

And if you're not wrinkled like a prune afterwards, get back in the water and keep working it! Heh! Have fun!
  • kindredspirit96
    I'm thinking it's probably equal to "light housework" on the MFP Exercise Database, or "mowing on a riding mower'. I wouldn't think it'd be anywhere near 700. :laugh: I'm thinking it is very low, but significant enough to log.

I just want to *log* it, that's all. I know it's not like running, or water aerobics, or chopping wood. :tongue:

maybe couple hundred an hour tops. there is no chance you're burning 700 or whatever was claimed is possible.