The binge got me again

Options
I am going to log everything I over ate yesterday because it holds me accountable even to mark the junk food. it said it wanted me at 1300 calories i thought that was quite low so I changed it to 1550. Eating and getting over eating my feelings away is the hardest if anyone else is having issues with this please p.m me for advice

Replies

• lynndrivera
    lynndrivera Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I saw your post. I did the same thing yesterday, pushed the self destruct button and ate about 3,000 calories in one sitting. Food has been my best friend and lover for so many years. I do so well, then something upsets me, or I feel deprived from not eating enough calories, and there I go. I started boxing lessons 3 weeks ago, and I am the last person you would would expect to do that. But it has really helped me release stress and painful memories, even if I don't conscientiously know what they are. I binged, but I have also lost 19 pounds and 3 inches from my waste. Forgive yourself, as I am, and find something that will help.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Based on this post, it sounds like you need to be worrying about you and getting you figured out before you start giving others advice.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is asking for advice, not offering?
  • lydiayoung90281
    lydiayoung90281 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Based on this post, it sounds like you need to be worrying about you and getting you figured out before you start giving others advice.

I was referring to myself asking for help because I binge eat
  • lydiayoung90281
    Options
    I am so glad I saw your post. I did the same thing yesterday, pushed the self destruct button and ate about 3,000 calories in one sitting. Food has been my best friend and lover for so many years. I do so well, then something upsets me, or I feel deprived from not eating enough calories, and there I go. I started boxing lessons 3 weeks ago, and I am the last person you would would expect to do that. But it has really helped me release stress and painful memories, even if I don't conscientiously know what they are. I binged, but I have also lost 19 pounds and 3 inches from my waste. Forgive yourself, as I am, and find something that will help.

Our stories sounds alot of like I am starting boxing tomorro. Please add me
  • lydiayoung90281
    Options
    I think the OP is asking for advice, not offering?

I was asking for advice not giving like you said
  • lydiayoung90281
    Options

I was asking for advice. Not giving.
  • lydiayoung90281
    Options
    I am going to log everything I over ate yesterday because it holds me accountable even to mark the junk food. it said it wanted me at 1300 calories i thought that was quite low so I changed it to 1550. Eating and getting over eating my feelings away is the hardest if anyone else is having issues with this please p.m me for advice

If anyone reads this post and like another feels I'm getting advice that is incorrect I am asking for it
  • lydiayoung90281
    Options

If anyone reads this post and like another feels I'm getting advice that is incorrect I am asking for it

*giving
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I used to binge eat really bad. Like entire pizzas or pints of Ben and Jerry's in one sitting. To be honest, sometimes even both. Especially when I was stressed out or depressed.

I am doing a low carb diet with intermittent fasting, now. The high levels of protein and fat keep me full longer, and the less frequently I eat, the less chances I have to overeat. It's hard for me to stop at 400 calories when I am hungry, so eating 3 meals is not an option, because I would overeat each one. Instead, I eat one really large meal of 900 - 1000 calories, and a small snack later to make up the rest. It takes a little getting used to. But my body has adjusted where I don't really feel hungry during the rest of the day anymore.

Another thing you can do is just don't allow yourself to have *any* of the foods you normally binge on. Keep them out of the house if possible. I know the mantra around here is "you can eat anything you want and still lose weight, as long as you watch calories". Which is true, for people who don't have a compulsion to eat certain foods. Those of us with low willpower are better off just not tempting ourselves.
  • alone_aqua
    alone_aqua Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    As kids we usually have to be "forced" to eat, because we'd rather do other things like play, learn, etc. We only respond to our bodies "hunger" signals, and cannot be forced to over consume just because of taste....as adults we do this because when we eat foods we like or find comforting we're self-medicating.

I don't think theres' a "fix-fit-all" for this type of thing but the cause of overeating is usually emotional- you should identify your issue. It's easy to think you don't have an emotional problem but I'd press you long and hard to identify one because there almost ALWAYS is, even if its not obvious.....

I don't want to call myself "someone who suffered from binge eating" but that sounds like I never will again. I'd done it so long that I was never sick - I could consume 1,500 calories in one sitting and be unaffected. I can tell you though, that my overeating was the cause of two things: (1) stress/anxiety (2) boredom/loneliness. However, I have not had this problem in nearly two years now. It required a lot of psychological and emotional work, I had to change the way I fundamentally felt about food.
  • willworkoutforwine
    willworkoutforwine Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I try to keep foods I would binge on out of the house. I truly love food and eating something that tastes good (and generally isn't good for me - ice cream, candy, pizza, nachos) just makes me happy. I also eat too much when I'm stressed or upset. I've had to find other activities that I enjoy so that I have things to look forward to besides eating. I am getting more involved in my local community by volunteering and coaching my son's t-ball team, and I try to exercise to relieve stress now. The results I've seen (15lbs lost in 3 months) keeps me motivated.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Good to see you opened this for discussion Lydia.
    I think all the posts have good advice and support.
  • leaj1984
    leaj1984 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    hi! if you enjoy your food in volumes, try snacking on better things... that way you take in less calories.
    but really the goal is to determine where the binge-eating is coming from. what's lacking, what are you truly feeling? are you simply tired? take a nap. are you bored? maybe you need a mental break. people have had huge successes with meditation. do some google research on it - it makes your brain operate at a different, calmer frequency over time... which has actually helped people with binge-eating problems.

good luck - i know how hard this is to control.