salad at mcdonald's, other mcd's foods?... :)

Options
I planned before I went, to get a "cobb salad" -- and when I got to mcd with my kids, they didn't have that anymore (at least not in my region). So I got a Caesar salad with grilled chicken, and got the LOW FAT Italian dressing -- two packets. Wow, it was yummy. I couldn't believe how good it was and it filled me up.

However, if I was driving, and in a pinch, and went thru the drive thru, I couldn't get a salad, because you can't easily eat it while driving (not safely anyway).

Those of you who do go thru the drive thru sometimes (I know a lot of you don't), is there anything else besides salad that you get, that is healthy-ish, or not devastating on your log sheet?

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I tend not to get a salad when I go to McDonalds. Their salads aren't the highest of quality and can be more calories than a large fry. When I go to mcdonalds because I'm in a rush I just get some fries and a diet pop. It holds me over until I can get home.

Even when we don't have a ton of time there is always time for five mins to go into a pita restaurant and get a healthy pita... those can be easy to eat while driving (however check your laws as it can be illegal to eat while driving... it is where I am).
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    When I'm stuck and can't get anything else, I go for a grilled chicken sandwich; it seems to be the lesser of all the evils there....
  • CoffeeLover2
    Options
    I try not to eat too much fast food, but when I'm out with the grandkids and they want McDonalds, I will usually just get a hamburger kids meal with diet soda or milk. I figure it's so-so portion controlled and easier to eat if I am driving. The salads at McD's aren't all that healthy for you. I have been pushing the grandkids for Subway more often, because of the fresher ingredients. Then if I wanna sweet treat I don't feel so bad and the food usually keeps me fuller for longer.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you have to go to Mcdonalds. Can you not get a little cooler bag with a sandwich, fruit etc?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The grilled chicken classic without mayo isn't too bad for 300 calories. Lately I've been getting the sweet chile McWrap though and I admit it's pretty good and filling for 360 calories (more than the grilled chicken sandwich), but it can get messy.

For the poster above, the grilled chicken caesar salad is 190 calories, I wouldn't call that more calories than a large fries, especially as it doesn't have much fat at all. And it's not bad, really. The low fat Italian vinaigrette is 50 calories a package or something... it's a pretty filling meal for 240 calories.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I prefer to go to Burger King instead of McDonalds. I like the veggie burger (hold the mayo) and side salad, which I eat without dressing as the cheese more than makes up for it.

When I take the kids to McDonalds for a treat, I get a berry smoothie.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Just about anything grilled chicken. The beef at fast food places is extremely fatty. Besides the crappy white carbs, fatty sauce or dressing, and huge amounts of sodium, a grilled chicken sandwich isn't that bad.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's different in the UK, but the wraps are OK. Calories vary, but they're all under 500. There's also the children's meals, if you want something smaller - they do apple or carrot instead of fries, but they're not very exciting! There's the Saver menu if you want smaller portions, and you could have a salad side dish.
  • kindredspirit96
    kindredspirit96 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you, everybody!!!

Yes, I should carry a cooler with me. That's what I'm realizing. Losing weight is more about what you do before you leave the house (or the night before), than what you do that day. Meaning: if you pack yourself some yummy healthy sandwiches, fruit, raw vegetables, and put in a cooler for the car, you're setting yourself up for success. :)

But when I don't have a cooler, and am starving, in a panic, if I go thru the drivethru, I at least have some options.
  • kindredspirit96
    Options
    I'll have to look and see if we have any pita restaurants near me. We have a lot of restaurants, but not a lot of "fast"/quick ones, in my opinion, that are "healthy". But I do think McD's has a lot more healthy choices than others.

What we need is a HEALTHY fast food place, where you can go thru the drivethru and get fresh fruit, grilled chicken sandwhich with low fat mayo and romaine, etc......
    Even when we don't have a ton of time there is always time for five mins to go into a pita restaurant and get a healthy pita... those can be easy to eat while driving (however check your laws as it can be illegal to eat while driving... it is where I am).
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The McDonald's near me has apple slices, and the 3-piece chicken selects (chicken tenders) are 380 calories. They're made with breast meat, unlike the McNuggets.
  • kindredspirit96
    Options
    (Oh, and I find that it's not the McD's salads that are heavy in calories or fat, is the "regular" dressing. Like, the not light dressing. Any of the light dressings are verrrrry light, as in 2.5 grams fat and 40 calories for the whole big packet. You could use two packets of dressing and still only have 5 grams fat, 80 calories of light dressing. And it's yummy cause it's the Newman's Own light Italian. The salads at McD are more calories and fat if they have crispy chicken -- which they don't offer here, as far as I could find. Only the grilled chicken are offered here.)
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love their southwest chicken salad. It's awesome even without the dressing..I never use it. The McDonald's by me has McWraps. If you get it with grilled chicken and no dressing its 300 something calories, I don't remember the exact number because it's been a while, but not bad. They're huge too.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    In a pinch I will have a fish filet with NO sauce--other than that there isn't much to be had THERE
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    The grilled chicken wrap is good. Really though, if it comes down to a salad or a burger, since I'm eating out anyway I would rather get a small cheeseburger and small fries. I can fit that into my lunch allowance and have a healthier option for dinner to balance out the sodium and fat.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The grilled chicken wrap is good. Really though, if it comes down to a salad or a burger, since I'm eating out anyway I would rather get a small cheeseburger and small fries. I can fit that into my lunch allowance and have a healthier option for dinner to balance out the sodium and fat.

I'd be totally starving with a cheeseburger and small fries, personally... while the mcwrap or the salad keeps me full a while.

I've found Burger King to be horrible for healthier food. I couldn't even find a salad with less than 400 calories and 14g of fat or something... without dressing. Yikes.

If you have a taco bell, the fresco tacos are good and only 150 calories (chicken).
  • kindredspirit96
    Options
    I do have a taco bell. Are the fresco tacos yummy? Do they have cheese?

That's without salsa, right?
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You need to go to McDonald's website and read the ingredients in that grilled chicken - more than 50. I never eat fast food. There just isn't any that is healthy.
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you, everybody!!!

Yes, I should carry a cooler with me. That's what I'm realizing. Losing weight is more about what you do before you leave the house (or the night before), than what you do that day. Meaning: if you pack yourself some yummy healthy sandwiches, fruit, raw vegetables, and put in a cooler for the car, you're setting yourself up for success. :)

But when I don't have a cooler, and am starving, in a panic, if I go thru the drivethru, I at least have some options.

I totally get you :) However, I just started packing stuff. I know my schedule for the day way in advance - I use Google calendar for my entire life so it's not like I don't know if I am going to have a nonstop day without time to come home and cook. I used to make excuses like, "I don't have time so I have to hit a drive through" But now I'm realizing that that was a choice I made. I know for a fact that I can spare ten extra minutes to pack myself a healthy lunch to take in the car with me. I even log it into MFP ahead of time for the mental kick in the *kitten* that, "THIS is what you are eating and don't even try to *kitten* around with McDonalds!"

It took a few weeks to get used to, but now it's SUPER easy. Give it a try! :)
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I used to love McDonalds, but since I got sensitive to wheat and am now hypoglycemic (probably because I ate super unhealthy as a teen) I get sick whatever I eat there. If I absolutely must get fast food I opt for El Pollo Loco and go for 2-3 taco al carbons.