Weightloss shakes without artificial sweeteners

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Well, if there is studies needing to be done on food items we consume, because their safety is in question, even in "safe" amounts, then why hasn't there been a study done on flax seed, carrots, or peas? The average consumer would rather put natural things in their body, rather than artificial, right? Healthy foods, healthy cells. Duh, that's a no-brainer, too. As far as I'm concerned, when I have to eat or drink something in "safe" amounts, to reduce the risk of health hazards, what happens if I consume something, like diet coke, in "unsafe" amounts? Theres no comment on this, because it's still too new (safety of artificial sweeteners), still being studied. Enough said. Case closed!

Except, you do realize that water - probably the most "natural" thing you can put in your body - has an "unsafe amount," right? Your logic is fundamentally flawed.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    There are studies.

But "aspartame" is a chemical compound. "Carrots" are not a chemical, but are made up of chemical compounds.

It's the chemical compounds that are found in things are studied. If you search for beta caratine, you will find studies.

And there actually was a study done on Flax, (or a chemical compound in it) https://oncologynutrition.org/erfc/healthy-nutrition-now/flaxseed-prostate-cancer-risk/

If you're going to make wild claims about things, at least be somewhat knowledgeable about them.
  • coonhoundmom50
    coonhoundmom50 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm not lactose intolerant, so I can ingest milk products. I don't have a peanut allergy, and I read my labels, I know what's in my food, before buying it. I used to buy gum with Xylitol as it's sweetener. Thought it was safe. What do you know about Xylitol? Then I bought doublemint and juicy fruit. Used to be made with something we all knew as sugar, but to my surprise, and juicy fruit just tasted weird, read the label, and to my disbelief, sweetened with ACE-K and ASPARTAME. Why did they go and ruin a good thing? The only good part about this gum, is that 12 packs or so came in a cool tin, of which I bought my son as a stocking stuffer, assuming it was still made with real sugar. The gum went into my G-file shortly after discovering the *kitten*-sweetener it's made with. Rather brush, floss, and use mouth rinse, rather than chew some fake gum.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Why do some people get headaches from ASPARTAME, and some don't? Obviously it's causing some type of side effect. Sorry, rather enjoy my natural drink, like hint water, & chewing gum, rather than suffering from an aspartame-induced headache.

Mayo clinic website: apartame is one of many migraine triggers. Along with salty food (but we still need salt to live), not enough food, physical exertion, sex, stress, changes in sleep, and medicine.

Are you giving up all of those other things because some people get headaches from them and some don't?

Well, if there is studies needing to be done on food items we consume, because their safety is in question, even in "safe" amounts, then why hasn't there been a study done on flax seed, carrots, or peas? The average consumer would rather put natural things in their body, rather than artificial, right? Healthy foods, healthy cells. Duh, that's a no-brainer, too. As far as I'm concerned, when I have to eat or drink something in "safe" amounts, to reduce the risk of health hazards, what happens if I consume something, like diet coke, in "unsafe" amounts? Theres no comment on this, because it's still too new (safety of artificial sweeteners), still being studied. Enough said. Case closed!

There might be studies done on carrots, peas, and flax seed. I've never looked, but GMO foods are one of the new scapegoats. GMO's can include carrots and peas, but really any food we eat now has been modified from its "natural" source through domestication and agricultural changes over time. I am serious when I say someone, somewhere on MFP has found a reason that everything you eat is bad. Almost all of it is anecdotal evidence.

You can have unsafe amounts of non-water soluble vitamins. You can eat too much meat and have issues pooping. You can eat too much fiber and have trouble with too much poop.

Nothing is perfectly safe. The world is a scary, scary place if you believe every internet boogeyman.

That's why I looked up ACE-K when you said it causes tumors. That was a specific, verifiable claim. It was bogus. If you still want to avoid artificial sweeteners, do so. Just don't claim they cause cancer when there is no proof that they do. And don't get mad when you have to back up what you say.
  • coonhoundmom50
    Options
    What I meant by "studies", was were there any 20 year " safety" studies performed on carrots, peas, flax, etc, like performed on artificial sweeteners, and I'm sure that if there were, their consumer hazards results come nowhere close to those of artificial sweeteners. Thank you very much. Enough said.
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Not even sure what to make of this word salad but I'll try. This all seems one big smoke screen to avoid the fact that you are completely wrong and can't fave the truth. So now it's strawmen and redherring time.
    Well, if there is studies needing to be done on food items we consume, because their safety is in question, even in "safe" amounts, then why hasn't there been a study done on flax seed, carrots, or peas?
    Who said the safety of flax seed, carrots or peas was in question.
    The average consumer would rather put natural things in their body, rather than artificial, right?
    I'm going to guess yes. But since the artificial sweeteners we are talking about are safe not sure why you need to ask such a question.
    Healthy foods, healthy cells. Duh, that's a no-brainer, too.
    Where in this thread did any say anything like this?
    As far as I'm concerned, when I have to eat or drink something in "safe" amounts, to reduce the risk of health hazards, what happens if I consume something, like diet coke, in "unsafe" amounts? Theres no comment on this, because it's still too new (safety of artificial sweeteners), still being studied. Enough said. Case closed!
    You are 100% factually incorrect. Artificial sweeteners are the most studied additive on the world. They have been proven safe beyond a shadow of doubt. No matter what nonsense you read or believe, no matter if you end your blather with "enough said" and "case closed," you are still wrong.
  • MommyL2015
    Options
    What consumer hazards results?
  • coonhoundmom50
    Options
    I think it's time we all take a time-out, and go eat something healthy. All this arguing is making me hungry!! Good luck to everyone trying to lead a healthy lifestyle/lose weight!! We're all in this together in this "journey"!!! Let's try to be supportive of each other!! OK, done with talkng about artificial sweeteners!!!
  • coonhoundmom50
    Options
    I think I'll have 3 servings of food tomorrow. Breakfast:water. Lunch:water. Dinner:water. My bladder won't be happy, and I better stay close to home, like near the potty, no long travels, hate going over a bump w/ full bladder, but, when you think about it, no food is safe anymore. We started planting our garden this weekend. Looking forward to enjoying natural, pesticide free food.
  • MommyL2015
    Options
    Don't forget to stay out of the sun, and no using cancer-causing sunscreen.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I think I'll have 3 servings of food tomorrow. Breakfast:water. Lunch:water. Dinner:water. My bladder won't be happy, and I better stay close to home, like near the potty, no long travels, hate going over a bump w/ full bladder, but, when you think about it, no food is safe anymore. We started planting our garden this weekend. Looking forward to enjoying natural, pesticide free food.

Pesticide free you say?
    http://www.pnas.org/content/87/19/7777.full.pdf
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    The paranoia is strong in this thread.
  • johnwelk
    Options

Pesticide free you say?
    http://www.pnas.org/content/87/19/7777.full.pdf

I doubt she'll read it, it goes against her ideology.
  • johnwelk
    Options

Just don't plant any of the following as it may cause you health problems:
    okra - sterculic acid (anti-metabolite)
    celery - psoralins (light-stimulated carcinogens)
    peanuts - aflatoxin (hepatic carconigen)
    lima beans - cyanogenic glycosides
    carrots - carotatoxin (neurotxin)
    mushrooms - hydrazines (carcinogen)
    tomatoes - tomatine (neurotoxin), quercetin glycosides (carcinogens)
    broccoli - benzpyrene (carcinogin), goitrin (shuts down thyroid)
    potatoes - solanine (toxin; causes spina bifida), chaconine (neutrotoxin), isoflavones (estrogens), arsenic
    soy - genistin, daidzin, coumesterol (phytoestrogens)
    cabbage - thiocyanates (shuts down thyroid)
    spinach - phytic acid (chelates iron and - no absorption - anemia and immiune dysfunction)
    wheat germ - phytoestrogens
    alfalfa sprouts - canavanine (arginine mimic; highly toxic to growing
    mammals)
    nutmeg - myristicin (hallucinogen, spasmodic)
    mustard - allyl isothiocyanate (war gas)

This is just a partial list of the naturally occurring toxins in things we eat. There are many more.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    All I wanted to know on this myfitnesspal community site was IS THERE A WEIGHTLOSS SHAKE THAT CONTAINS REAL SUGAR, NOT A SUBSTITUTE? all I'm saying is this type of weightloss plan is working for me, and I choose not to have the sugar substitute in my slimfast. Is there a problem with that?? Seems like some of you have real issues with supporting artificial sweeteners, which is fine by me. Whatever you choose, I'm not here to criticize. But, it's almost like, smoking don't cause cancer. That's a no-brainer, and cigarettes even come with a surgeon generals warning. And you may die in a crash if you dont wear a seatbelt, the list goes on. OK, because these things have been studied and proven over many years. It will take time, though, simply more studies need done on products we consume, and in time, after a boatload of people die from its usage, they will print consumer warnings on packaging, like they finally did with the pink Sweet N Low. .Don't hop on my original post question and my personal experiences of my family with cancer, like you're a fly on horseshit. It's not like I'm telling you how to diet and what will work best for you. Just asking for answers to my original post. Lets be respectful to one another through this journey, stay focused on our weightloss goals and the subject at hand without criticizing. Thanks, and have a nice day!

If that was "all you wanted to know" it would've been wise to leave out the brain tumor part. You simply could have said, "I'm looking for a weight loss shake that does not contain artificial sweeteners as I have made the decision not to consume them." That, of course, won't stop all the comments about weight loss shakes on their own.

Also there is a rule in the community guidelines about not posting the same topic twice. And also a rule about not fighting back when someone provokes you.
  • coonhoundmom50
    Options
    Where do you see that I posted the same topic twice? If you're referring to "yay, I found a weightloss shake made with real sugar!" post, it's because it's showing others that are seeking the same thing, there really is something available to us, made without the artificial stuff, and if other users of myfitnesspal have any questions or non-criticizing comments, or helpful suggestions about real sugar weightloss shakes, that would be very welcoming.
    My other post , "weightloss shakes without artificial sweeteners", is a completely separate category of its own. I'm glad I posted this, because it really lays out the facts and figures of people's findings on this very controversial subject. I learned alot about the artificial sweetener " war" from these contributing myfitnesspal users, whom did countless hours of research on their own on this subject, which I found very useful and helpful. Also will be useful to other myfitnesspal users wanting to know more info on this subject, ESP if their just beginning their weightloss journey, especially if their using a sugar free product, like slimfast 3-2-1, that's causing them to have headaches, like it did to me. OK done with explaining myself to everyone. Need I say more?
  • actualbettycrocker
    actualbettycrocker Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    johnwelk wrote: »

Just don't plant any of the following as it may cause you health problems:
    okra - sterculic acid (anti-metabolite)
    celery - psoralins (light-stimulated carcinogens)
    peanuts - aflatoxin (hepatic carconigen)
    lima beans - cyanogenic glycosides
    carrots - carotatoxin (neurotxin)
    mushrooms - hydrazines (carcinogen)
    tomatoes - tomatine (neurotoxin), quercetin glycosides (carcinogens)
    broccoli - benzpyrene (carcinogin), goitrin (shuts down thyroid)
    potatoes - solanine (toxin; causes spina bifida), chaconine (neutrotoxin), isoflavones (estrogens), arsenic
    soy - genistin, daidzin, coumesterol (phytoestrogens)
    cabbage - thiocyanates (shuts down thyroid)
    spinach - phytic acid (chelates iron and - no absorption - anemia and immiune dysfunction)
    wheat germ - phytoestrogens
    alfalfa sprouts - canavanine (arginine mimic; highly toxic to growing
    mammals)
    nutmeg - myristicin (hallucinogen, spasmodic)
    mustard - allyl isothiocyanate (war gas)

This is just a partial list of the naturally occurring toxins in things we eat. There are many more.

you're my hero ok
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    zurac35 wrote: »
    All I wanted to know on this myfitnesspal community site was IS THERE A WEIGHTLOSS SHAKE THAT CONTAINS REAL SUGAR, NOT A SUBSTITUTE? all I'm saying is this type of weightloss plan is working for me, and I choose not to have the sugar substitute in my slimfast. Is there a problem with that?? Seems like some of you have real issues with supporting artificial sweeteners, which is fine by me. Whatever you choose, I'm not here to criticize. But, it's almost like, smoking don't cause cancer. That's a no-brainer, and cigarettes even come with a surgeon generals warning. And you may die in a crash if you dont wear a seatbelt, the list goes on. OK, because these things have been studied and proven over many years. It will take time, though, simply more studies need done on products we consume, and in time, after a boatload of people die from its usage, they will print consumer warnings on packaging, like they finally did with the pink Sweet N Low. .Don't hop on my original post question and my personal experiences of my family with cancer, like you're a fly on horseshit. It's not like I'm telling you how to diet and what will work best for you. Just asking for answers to my original post. Lets be respectful to one another through this journey, stay focused on our weightloss goals and the subject at hand without criticizing. Thanks, and have a nice day!

I have to wonder as in human biology studies it was a known FACT that artificial sweetners were cancer causing. I don't know how or why things would change in 10 years.

Oh really? Which ones? Because artificial sweeteners got approved 30+ years ago because they were not found to cause anything. Especially aspartame has been studied more than a beaten dead horse. We know what it is, we know how your body deals with it. It's a protein made out of two amino acids, it gets completely metabolized into its amino acids before entering the blood stream where it acts like any other amino acids.
  • MommyL2015
    Options
    Also will be useful to other myfitnesspal users wanting to know more info on this subject, ESP if their just beginning their weightloss journey

This is why these topics are so controversial and why they end up such as this one. There's no problem if you want to avoid a certain food. It becomes a problem when those reasons turn into baseless alarmist "it's evil and bad and causes cancer" posts. Separating fact from fiction and opinion is crucial for everyone to be successful for whatever their goals are. If you are going to state such alarming things, you are going to be asked to back those things up with some kind of evidence. If you cannot, there's nothing to suggest that what you say is true, therefore it's just opinion. A personal opinion about something is just that and using that as advice for others to follow is fine, as long as they know it's only your opinion.

• kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Rather brush, floss, and use mouth rinse, rather than chew some fake gum.
    Reasonably off-topic, but everything else has been covered and this concerns me.

You *are* aware that chewing gum is not a substitute for good oral hygiene, right?