Calorie adjustment versus manually input exercise

Options
I have MFP synced to my iPhone pedometer. If I don't manually input exercise, it adjusts my calories throughout the day and I always end up gaining a good number of calories. For example, today I went on a 45 min brisk walk and the calorie adjustment was 223 when I got home. When I manually put in my walk and that calorie gain switched to 180 and now won't adjust anymore for the day. If I hadn't put in that exercise, I prob would end up with a +300 calorie gain per the adjuster. Am I explaining this clearly? My inclination is to stop manually inputting my exercise so I have more calories to eat each day.

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    That's interesting. I have a Fitbit linked to MFP. My runs are logged through Zombies, Run! which sends data to RunKeeper, which talks to MFP, and I think the calorie burn logged for that exercise actually comes from MFP. If I go for a really long run but don't do anything else for the day, I might not get an additional calorie adjustment. I don't enable negative adjustments, but I won't eat all of the exercise calories unless I do enough walking to have a separate calorie adjustment from Fitbit, either.

Most people report using the lowest of their estimates to avoid out-eating their deficit. If you want the extra calories, I'd say go for it, but pay attention to how that affects your weight loss. With only a 70 calorie difference between the 2, and if you're weighing your foods and choosing appropriate entries, I wouldn't guess it would change your rate of loss too much.