Why use coconut oil

Options
BryKate
BryKate Posts: 74 Member
Hi everyone

So I've been using coconut oil for a while now as a healthy alternative. Today my flatmate bought one of those 1cal oil sprays and I was wondering if these sort of sprays are ok to use for weight loss? How
Come people use coconut oil which is around 50cald a tsp as apposed to these sort of very low cal sprays? I know there are a lot of amazing nutritional benefits with coconut oil so do people tend to use it for the nutritional reasons rather than opting for the lowest cal options that wouldn't offer as much goodness? (Hope this makes sense! I guess I'm basically asking should we be opting for the higher calorie choice that has far greater nutitional benefits or the lower cal choice that can't offer much in terms of nutrients or health benefits but is low cal?)

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    It's important to get as much nutrition as possible in your calories.
    Skip the 150 calories of potato chips and use a tablespoon of coconut oil instead.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2

Not sure why coconut oil is touted as so healthy. There are many more testimonials than clinical evidence on the benefits of coconut oil. It's a saturated fat (92%) and it's pro-inflammatory. Additionally, all of the fatty acid is Omega 6 - a lopsided ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 leads to inflammation. If you have arthritis, bursitis, tendonitis, or any other "itis" issue, coconut oil isn't the best choice.

I'll be the first to admit that I love the taste of coconut oil - kettle corn made with coconut oil is to die for. I would suggest mixing up your fats a little - olive oil, safflower oil, avocados, etc.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

Not sure why coconut oil is touted as so healthy. There are many more testimonials than clinical evidence on the benefits of coconut oil. It's a saturated fat (92%) and it's pro-inflammatory. Additionally, all of the fatty acid is Omega 6 - a lopsided ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 leads to inflammation. If you have arthritis, bursitis, tendonitis, or any other "itis" issue, coconut oil isn't the best choice.

I'll be the first to admit that I love the taste of coconut oil - kettle corn made with coconut oil is to die for. I would suggest mixing up your fats a little - olive oil, safflower oil, avocados, etc.
    There's almost no omegas at all in coconut oil. Corn and soy on the other hand............
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options

There's almost no omegas at all in coconut oil. Corn and soy on the other hand............

Doh! Yes - you are right. I had a dyslexic moment. No omegas in coconut oil. Nonetheless, I'm still going to try and minimize eating fats which are solid at room temperature, including butter. (sigh.... butter....)
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Doh! Yes - you are right. I had a dyslexic moment. No omegas in coconut oil. Nonetheless, I'm still going to try and minimize eating fats which are solid at room temperature, including butter. (sigh.... butter....)

Why?

Room Temperature < Body temperature
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I was going to say - I'm on a doctor supervised anti-inflammatory diet and coconut oil and olive oil the only two types that I'm allowed.

That and I've had great results with coconut oil as my primary fat other than nuts and fish. I used to have a lot of issues with swelling in my knees and hips, and since going on this diet (which is basically veggies, meat, fish, nuts, coconut oil and olive oil), the swelling in my joints is virtually gone. I have pretty serious arthritis in my knees after 5 knee surgeries, but they feel great lately.
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE lover of Coconut Oil. I use it in food, on my hair, on my skin, for everything. It is just a awesome substance. Its great to put on your hair at night as a deep conditioner and makes your hair super shiney and healthy. Slathered on the skin makes your skin super healthy and smellign beautiful. Its also a amazing makeup remover.
    I use it in cooking because it adds a nice flavor to cooking and tastes fabulous in dessert items in place of butter. Its by far my most favorite oil to use in cooking.

Also im a fan of Avocado Oil, thats another good one, but doesnt smell as good as Coconut Oil LOL
  • BryKate
    BryKate Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Is there a special one specifically for skin or can you just use the regular cooking type for skin and hair too?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I love my coconut oil. I refuse to cook with anything else now. I eat way more of it than I should & it's done wonders for my skin...from the inside. It's a NATURAL sunscreen (bonus) and my hair is great.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Is there a special one specifically for skin or can you just use the regular cooking type for skin and hair too?

Get the normal cooking one, it makes no difference at all.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Agreed - I just buy the big size tub of organic extra virgin coconut oil from Costco and use it for eveyrthing. I believe there is coconut oil that you can buy that's not food grade, meaning you could use it on your skin but shouldn't eat it, but if you buy food grade coconut oil it's good for everything.

Also - it's pretty convenient - we are on vacation and I can use it to cook with in our kitchenette, for body lotion, for makeup remover...
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I use CO for cooking and on my baby's bottom after a diaper change.

I suggest buying two containers and keeping them separate. :wink:
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Why do something so silly. Using coconut oil and butter are some of the healthiest options for what they are used for. Those spray oils are junk. Over processed and refined. It isn't about calories. They may be able to make your salad palatable but you're going to get hungry again much quicker. Saturated fat isn't bad for you, every study that has tried to link it to heart decease has been torn apart in peer review or was based on observational food surveys which are highly inaccurate.

When your body is burning its own fat it is using saturated fat. Coconut oil also is not inflammatory, "heart healthy" canola oil is in fact inflammatory and is more likely to cause heart decease.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Use refined coconut oil for cooking, it has a higher smoke point than unrefined (virgin) coconut oil.

Use the virgin coconut oil on your skin and hair.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Use refined coconut oil for cooking, it has a higher smoke point than unrefined (virgin) coconut oil.

Use the virgin coconut oil on your skin and hair.

No. Unrefined natural expeller pressed is the way to go it is perfect in its natural unrefined form for cooking or on the body. No need for refining it. It may have a lower smoke temp but there really isn't a reason to cook that high.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    It may have a lower smoke temp but there really isn't a reason to cook that high.
    Here's a good reason: French Fries!

http://www.cheeseslave.com/coconut-oil-french-fries/
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Bump! Don't have time to reply right now, but this is a subject of great interest to me. I use unrefined, organic, extra virgin, cold pressed oil for EVERYTHING!

Just a quick link with information about why coconut oil is so wonderful.
    http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/article10612.htm
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    And if you're cooking with non-stick pans those icky chemical 1 cal sprays are hell on the teflon!
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE lover of Coconut Oil. I use it in food, on my hair, on my skin, for everything. It is just a awesome substance. Its great to put on your hair at night as a deep conditioner and makes your hair super shiney and healthy. Slathered on the skin makes your skin super healthy and smellign beautiful. Its also a amazing makeup remover.
    I use it in cooking because it adds a nice flavor to cooking and tastes fabulous in dessert items in place of butter. Its by far my most favorite oil to use in cooking.

Also im a fan of Avocado Oil, thats another good one, but doesnt smell as good as Coconut Oil LOL
    +1 :flowerforyou: :smile: I:heart: coconut in every form (except the sweetened kind). I make my own coconut milk and toasted coconut flakes too.