Do you stop while you still want more?

Options
13»

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Many of you eat treats (candy, chocolate, ice cream, cookies, chips) often. I understand that it won't impact overall nutrition or calorie goal. I'm more interested in what it feels like. Are you content after - say - 100 calories worth? Or do you have to force yourselves to stop? Does the want decrease after you've finished?

I've never had a problem eating just one of something and then putting it away.

Perhaps it has something to do with the way I was brought up. My mother had us on a fairly strict diet. We had a certain amount of food breakfast, lunch, and dinner + a small after-school snack + a small late-evening snack.

There was no dessert except on weekends ... and then it was one small serving.

The after-school snack was one cookie and milk. The evening snack was one piece of fruit. That's it.

So even now, when I'm going to have a cookie or something, I will get out one cookie ... and that's it. The rest will be there tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day ...

In our family, food="eat as much as you can"; portion control was a running joke.
    My mother tried to pretend treats "didn't exist" or that we "didn't like them".

I can see where the schism comes from.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend made a malva pudding on Sunday. He had one or two civilised slices. I had the rest on Monday for breakfast, lunch, and supper. That was about 80% of my daily calorie allotment, if not more. I stayed within my calorie limit for the day ;)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Many of you eat treats (candy, chocolate, ice cream, cookies, chips) often. I understand that it won't impact overall nutrition or calorie goal. I'm more interested in what it feels like. Are you content after - say - 100 calories worth? Or do you have to force yourselves to stop? Does the want decrease after you've finished?

I've never had a problem eating just one of something and then putting it away.

Perhaps it has something to do with the way I was brought up. My mother had us on a fairly strict diet. We had a certain amount of food breakfast, lunch, and dinner + a small after-school snack + a small late-evening snack.

There was no dessert except on weekends ... and then it was one small serving.

The after-school snack was one cookie and milk. The evening snack was one piece of fruit. That's it.

So even now, when I'm going to have a cookie or something, I will get out one cookie ... and that's it. The rest will be there tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day ...

This is similar to me (not exactly, but learning sensible ways to include treats and not having overmuch of it when growing up, but also not having it as something "off-limits" and therefore tempting), and I think why focusing on eating just a serving works pretty well for me. So long as I am mindful and pay attention to what I'm eating, it's not really a problem.