Smoothies that are good for gastritis?

Options
Hi,
I don't get enough fiber in the new diet I have to follow. I can't seem to be able to eat enough calories, either. But smoothies I can handle for some reason. Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't eat anything too acidic, no pineapple and berries might be ok. I can eat leafy greens, rice milk, bananas, that type of thing. No supplements like protein powder, too hard for me to digest.
Thanks!

Replies

• californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Any ideas?
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have gastroparesis so often rely on shakes/ smoothies as food. A pretty neutral shake is some banana, milk, and Greek yogurt (adds a bit of protein and thickens it). You can add honey and cinnamon too if you prefer the taste. Sometimes I'll also add in canned peaches (I can't tolerate fresh ones) which is lovely.

I hope that helps!
  • californiansun
    Options
    I have gastroparesis so often rely on shakes/ smoothies as food. A pretty neutral shake is some banana, milk, and Greek yogurt (adds a bit of protein and thickens it). You can add honey and cinnamon too if you prefer the taste. Sometimes I'll also add in canned peaches (I can't tolerate fresh ones) which is lovely.

I hope that helps!

Yogurt really hurt my stomach when I tried, unfortunately since it's a good protein source. I'll try again. Thank you!
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My favorite: 2 tbs PB2 (powdered peanut butter), 1 tbsp chocolate syrup, 1 cup almond milk (I imagine rice milk would work as well), 1 banana, and a couple ice cubes. 214 calories and delicious!
  • californiansun
    Options
    Thanks! I can't eat chocolate, but I'll check out the PB 2.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Raspberries are great for fiber, as are chia seeds. I put both in my smoothies.
    Maybe you are lactose intolerant with the reaction to yogurt. One thing you might try is taking a couple of Lactaid pills with your first bite of dairy. I have been using generic lactase enzyme with dairy for years. Can't live without it!
  • californiansun
    Options
    Raspberries are great for fiber, as are chia seeds. I put both in my smoothies.
    Maybe you are lactose intolerant with the reaction to yogurt. One thing you might try is taking a couple of Lactaid pills with your first bite of dairy. I have been using generic lactase enzyme with dairy for years. Can't live without it!

I never had any reaction to dairy prior to my gastritis. (My sister is LO and I know the signs lol) And it could have just been because I had the yogurt pretty soon after sh** hit the fan, so it's possible that was a reason.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I hope you find some relief soon! My Lactose intolerance occurred with no warning after a virus wiped out my gut flora. And it was permanent.
  • californiansun
    Options
    Oh no!! I'm completely lactose free now, so it doesn't matter one way or the other I guess. It was causing too much mucus production. I miss regular yogurt in my smoothies, but I'll live. Haha. I don't even miss cheese or anything.