Pre-workout

Options

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Preworkout is a waste of money, and you guys are already broke-*kitten* college students- My 262 anatomy teacher.

Preworkout is drinking water and maybe eating a small snack, like a banana or apple half an hour before hand. If you don't have enough energy to finish your workout, there are underlying issues that need to be addressed and not covered up with preworkout. Make sure you're getting enough protein and carbs, as well as sleep and water.

Agree.
    Maybe useful for 5% of people but for 95% it's just fashion.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    alexzenk86 wrote: »
    Preworkout is a waste of money, and you guys are already broke-*kitten* college students- My 262 anatomy teacher.

Preworkout is drinking water and maybe eating a small snack, like a banana or apple half an hour before hand. If you don't have enough energy to finish your workout, there are underlying issues that need to be addressed and not covered up with preworkout. Make sure you're getting enough protein and carbs, as well as sleep and water.

DO YOU EVEN LIFT? Seriously

Actually I would agree with RunningMermaid. I stopped drinking preworkout about a month ago, and went to just drinking coffee, and I feel so much better. I've been taking preworkouts for 4 years, and while I would feel something (mainly an overdose of caffeine) I would never benefit from them. Drinking coffee for me, mixed with some fats has been one of the best moves I've made recently.

Still a stimulant vs carbs and water...

Taking into considering that stimulants aren't effective for everyone and even when they are, it ranges on how effective it is on each individual, it isn't likely to provide that much of an impact. Figuring out what is wrong with your diet should come before supplements.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    You guys are using "pre-workout" and "stimulant" interchangeably. My pre-workout stack includes six ingredients: creatine, beta alanine, citrulline malate, taurine, carnitine and caffeine. Only one of those items can be considered a stimulant.

Do your research.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    You guys are using "pre-workout" and "stimulant" interchangeably. My pre-workout stack includes six ingredients: creatine, beta alanine, citrulline malate, taurine, carnitine and caffeine. Only one of those items can be considered a stimulant.

Do your research.

Exactly. I take the exact same (Tier1). There's a huge benefit to those that a lot of novice lifters and people who don't compete, fail to understand.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Do your research.

Exactly. I take the exact same (Tier1). There's a huge benefit to those that a lot of novice lifters and people who don't compete, fail to understand.

Does a preworkout stack or any anything other than eating regular meals help a high level athlete? They might. For the other 99+% cleaning up regular nutrition and lifestyle is a much bigger benefit than supplements.
  • kwtilbury
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Do your research.

Does a preworkout stack or any anything other than eating regular meals help a high level athlete? They might. For the other 99+% cleaning up regular nutrition and lifestyle is a much bigger benefit than supplements.

False dichotomy. Your diet can be on point AND you can take supplements.
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    for extra kick try EC stack. it works wonders
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Caffeine pill gets me through. 10 cents a pop. I used to take NOXPLODE or something like that. Was not worth the money. I like the tingly feeling so i buy raw beta alanine and toss a scoop in for heavy lifting days

I love NOXPLODE. You have to be careful with it because it does pack a good amount of caffeine and can make you a little jittery. I take the recommended one scoop and I'm wide awake and ready for my workouts. All the caffeine does get you sweating buckets though and it has a good amount of creatine for workout pumps. I've tried others but that's what I usually go back to. You don't feel much from it until about 30 minutes after drinking it and it's pretty subtle. I find my lifts are better when I take it vice when I don't.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I like the new 2.0 version of NOXPLODE even better.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I don't like to rely on preworkout for energy in the gym on a regular basis, I mostly use it on days where I'm a little low energy but I like C4. Most days I have plenty of energy in the gym by eating a preworkout meal 60-90 mins before my workout (aiming at 50g slow digesting carbs and 25g protein, <10g fat).
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    http://www.livescience.com/53095-do-preworkout-supplements-work.html

"Ultimately, while most preworkout supplements are probably not dangerous, there's little scientific backing for some of their more overblown claims.

In the supplement industry, it's about marketing; it's not about what's in the product," Moon said. "Supplements don't really do that much unless you're already doing a lot on your own."

And another written by a member here although no idea if he is still posting.....

The Pre-Workout Supplement Scam
    by Scott Tousignant | Apr 16, 2015

http://metabolicmasterpiece.com/the-pre-workout-supplement-scam/

https://youtu.be/q96sH9ojYTM
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    EC stack, best thing i tried so far
  • kwtilbury
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    http://www.livescience.com/53095-do-preworkout-supplements-work.html

"Ultimately, while most preworkout supplements are probably not dangerous, there's little scientific backing for some of their more overblown claims.

In the supplement industry, it's about marketing; it's not about what's in the product," Moon said. "Supplements don't really do that much unless you're already doing a lot on your own."

And another written by a member here although no idea if he is still posting.....

The Pre-Workout Supplement Scam
    by Scott Tousignant | Apr 16, 2015

http://metabolicmasterpiece.com/the-pre-workout-supplement-scam/

https://youtu.be/q96sH9ojYTM

Good read, and I agree with what he says about underdosed preworkout "blends". Creatine and Beta Alanine are not timing dependent, but they are cumulative (meaning you need to take consistent, repeated doses to build an effective quantity in your system). People that say they only take pre-workout occasionally to get a little extra boost really aren't reaping the benefits of these ingredients.
  • Packerjohn
    Options

Do your research.

Not False At ALL. I said fixing basic nutrition is much more benefit to the vast majority of us then droppig 100 every couple weeks at gnc to try and fix the problem.

Sure you can take supplements if your diet is spot on. May very well help but the spot on diet and lifestyle is the 800 pound gorilla in the corner
  • martyqueen52
    edited April 2016
    Options

Do your research.

Not False At ALL. I said fixing basic nutrition is much more benefit to the vast majority of us then droppig 100 every couple weeks at gnc to try and fix the problem.

Sure you can take supplements if your diet is spot on. May very well help but the spot on diet and lifestyle is the 800 pound gorilla in the corner

100 every couple weeks? Who does that? A preworkout is 30 tops. Sure... Some *kitten* companies claim to make you jump 509473727 feet and lift 18473lbs. But reputable ones without blends (Tier 1), and even the testing results per ingredient (Tier 1) are fantastic and help in ways a diet alone cannot. Is it needed, no. Will it help? Definitely.

It seems your anti supplement from all your statements, and that's cool. But don't spread false horse crap about products and that help someone. If 30 is a high cost.... get a better job.
  • Packerjohn
    Options

Do your research.

100 every couple weeks? Who does that? A preworkout is 30 tops. Sure... Some *kitten* companies claim to make you jump 509473727 feet and lift 18473lbs. But reputable ones without blends (Tier 1), and even the testing results per ingredient (Tier 1) are fantastic and help in ways a diet alone cannot. Is it needed, no. Will it help? Definitely.

It seems your anti supplement from all your statements, and that's cool. But don't spread false horse crap about products and that help someone. If 30 is a high cost.... get a better job.

I understand the value of supplements in some cases. If you read what I posted, I'm saying an individual's basic nutrition and lifestyle is going to make a bigger difference in athletic performance than any legal supplement you can buy. If you have your nutrition right and want to try some supplements, no problem at all, they may very well help. I'm saying work on fixing the basics before running off to supplement, or do it in conjunction. Something in a GNC bottle isn't going to fix a steady diet of nutrient sparse foods and poor sleep.

I see too many people on these boards asking what's the best pre-workout supplement and post work out refuel for 30 minutes of light cardio when some water and maybe a piece of fruit or beef jerky, if anything at all, fits the bill. Supplements have become trendy instead of a legit tool for those training at high intensity and/or long duration.

And I do know people who are spending $100 every couple weeks at GNC bodybuilding.com or some multi-level marketeer for a variety of supplements (not just pre-workout).
  • martyqueen52
    Options
    Sleep, diet, and food choices have very little to do with how you might "FEEL" on ... Xday.

OP never said her performance was lacking... she just needed a boost of energy, and if she's caffeine sensitive, a preworkout might be the key. Even if it's a placebo effect, and it works, terrific.

You're going into left field on a topic that was never brought up in any way. She never said "I have no energy". Just she needed a pick-me-up. Maybe coffee won't do it for her?

You might think supplements are trendy, but how do you know they don't work for some? Like I said, even if it's a placebo effect, and it gets them mentally ready, it will correlate to the body.

Well, I'm sorry you know dumb *kitten* kids who spend $100 weekly at GNC or Brobuilding.com.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    kaysie_ly wrote: »
    I was looking into starting a preworkout drink. I just want a little more energy and a longer workout without burning myself out. Has anyone tried any that had worked well?

Two scoops of divine nutrition's pwo named truth.

Trust me.
  • MiikeCholas
    MiikeCholas Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Steel nutrition pre workout is the way to go!!!! I had already been using c-4 for some years now and was up to 2 1/2 scoops just to feel the beta alanine in it.(I get it someone is going to comment and probably tell me to cycle off) but I don't cycle off pre I just switch it up ....but anyways I took 1 scoop of steel nutrition pre-work and got more out of it then me taking 3 scoops of c-4. Its also cheaper which is always a plus ...you can get it at www.steelnutritioninc.com if your interested but best of luck !
  • kwtilbury
    Options

Do your research.

Why do you automatically assume that when someone asks about a pre-workout it's to cover up a bad diet?

I agree that many pre-packaged pre-workout are expensive and underdosed. I buy my supplements individually and in bulk. A fully dosed serving of the ingredients I listed above runs about $0.30.