Maintaining weight while sick??

Options
I am assuming that I have some sort of a virus.
I've been sick for a week now and it's only getting worse. I do not feel gym approved for the week because I'm worried to throw up.
I am concerned about rapid weight loss.
I go to the gym 5-6 days a week and do not want to lose the muscle.
Are there any recommendations for me?
Do I continue to consume my daily calorie intake?
Am I better off going to the gym tpo sweat it out?

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Stay home, rest, try to eat as much as you can. Your body needs calories to help fight the illness.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    kingkam21 wrote: »
    I am assuming that I have some sort of a virus.
    I've been sick for a week now and it's only getting worse. I do not feel gym approved for the week because I'm worried to throw up.
    I am concerned about rapid weight loss.
    I go to the gym 5-6 days a week and do not want to lose the muscle.
    Are there any recommendations for me?
    Do I continue to consume my daily calorie intake?
    Am I better off going to the gym tpo sweat it out?

First off, don't be that guy. There's nothing worse than training alongside someone who's ill, knowing with every exhale they are passing germs around the gym.

As far as possible try to eat to maintenance calories, obviously that's difficult when your body is telling you that you don't need fueled. Shakes are always good, not physically eating but getting the nutrition and calories.

You will not loose muscle mass from a couple weeks out of the gym, as long as you are eating to a level that your body is accustom too. Several studies have shown that recreational athletes will see a decrease in muscle mass and strength after 12 weeks of not training. Pro athletes its a much lower time. I wouldn't worry to much.

Rest up, your body will thank you for it. Shake off the illness and get back in there, you will probably find your will feel stronger after a couple weeks break because your muscles will be fully recovered and ready to start again.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well your activity is down too so your maintenance calories will be lower.

I must be the only weirdo who's always hungry when she's sick I guess, so not gaining is the issue for me, lol (except stomach virus, obviously).
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I must be the only weirdo who's always hungry when she's sick I guess, so not gaining is the issue for me, lol (except stomach virus, obviously).

No, I am right there with you. When I am not feeling well I lose all control over my cravings. I suddenly start craving Chinese food (which is odd for me) and chocolate, I will usually eat some of what I'm craving but also throw in some green smoothies or something similar for balance.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

No, I am right there with you. When I am not feeling well I lose all control over my cravings. I suddenly start craving Chinese food (which is odd for me) and chocolate, I will usually eat some of what I'm craving but also throw in some green smoothies or something similar for balance.

I'm the same. I usually crave salads oddly. However, I crave the salads with extra cheese, extra ranch, extra avocado etc. So it ends up being A LOT! Lol
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    me too, I crave salty foods but I now try and give myself a little slack and eat a little more when sick.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Whats more important to you; the way you look or the way you feel?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want and that's healthy with lots of fluids. People regain the weight they've lost when they've been sick very quickly. You need to food to heal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Any weight you lose while ill will be quickly put back on because most of it will be water and waste. And don't be that guy who goes to the gym with some virus and spreads it around...that's not cool.
  • groetzinger659
    groetzinger659 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    how are you feeling? I would eat what you can.

almost a week ago I was sick with the crud going around-I stayed home and did not exercise for 5 days. I didn't gain or loose. But I felt much better resting. All I did was take short walks to get my lungs some air since I am prone to pneumonia. And if you ever get it-its a real drag..so please REST.