Anyone lost 20 lbs in three months? Is it healthy?

Options
I'm a 6'1" guy,180 pounds currently.Not fat yet looking to get into shape!

Replies

• thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Well I did in a healthy but unsustainable for me way but I am obese. You however are already within your healthy BMI range, you might be able to lose 20pds in 3 months but maybe not in a healthy way.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Maybe you don't need to lose the pounds, have you considered lifting? This may give you the look you want if you are already at a healthy weight
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I'm currently losing at around 10lb a month but I've still got a lot to lose and am not expecting to carry on at this rate for much longer. If you're closer to your goal weight then you want to lose at a much slower rate nearer 2lb a month.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    You would need to eat at a significant deficit to do that and would probably end up losing a good portion of muscle tissue as well. I do not think that is what you are going for. There are many people in 'fitness' are that can help you with recomp guidance instead. i'm guessing you'll like to show some muscles ultimately and not look skinny and sickly after unhealthy 2 months.
  • lainy1979
    lainy1979 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've been on mfp for 92 days and I've lost 18lb. My calorie intake is 1370 a day and my main exercise is walking. I'd say its healthy, most days I eat my exercise calories back and I still include stuff like chocolate, pasta and takeaways in my diet as long as it fits into my allowance. Do what's right for you :)
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 in 3 months but I was outside of a healthy range.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,931 Member
    Options
    I lost 15 kg in 16 weeks ... that's 33 lbs in 3.75 months.

Then I took a 1-month break, and continued for another 16 weeks and lost 11 kg (24 lbs).

I've kept it off for 6 months so far ... and have done more cycling than I've done in years. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    With your stats? Absolutely not.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    How much muscle do you want to lose with that?

At 180lbs and 6'1" that is way too much for the time period. Heck, I'm not even sure 160lbs is a good goal for that height.
  • kjrinkus
    kjrinkus Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    at 6'1 and 180 pounds you are at a great weight for converting your fat (what little you have) to muscle. If you lose 30lbs at 6'1 and end up at 150lbs you would look like a pencil and I think it would look less healthy than you probably look now. (you'd look like a Weenie Hut General patron) Stop dieting and hit the weights hard. Tone your body and strengthen your core, forget about the fat and focus on the muscle. You should shoot for 185 with 8% to 10% body fat. Now that would make you look spectacular.
  • Rnsmith1982
    Rnsmith1982 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Back when I was in the 8th grade, a long time ago, I lost 30 pounds in two months and it messed up my menses and it been messed up pretty much since then even with meds to fix it, so for me it wasn't healthy.
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I lost 18 lbs in a month from netting 500 or so cals and working out for hours. I lost a ton of muscle and no it was not healthy at all, even with me having a fair bit to lose.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    You're already at a healthy weight. I agree you should look into recomposition instead. You could go for a very slow weight loss (maybe 1 lb/month) to lose a little bodyfat, do a progressive lifting program, get adequate protein for a few months, then maybe spend a couple months after that eating at a slight bulk with the same lifting program.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with a bunch of the above advice.

It's not always about losing weight. A lot of times a better option for improving overall looks/fitness is to focus on losing fat and building muscle, which can be done at the same time. There's a good recomp thread going on over in the Maintaining Weight section. Here's a link to check out: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Due to your height and weight, I'm casting another vote for recomping rather than losing weight.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Due to your height and weight, I'm casting another vote for recomping rather than losing weight.

+1
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

A bunch of people lost that kind of weight in that time, including me and I was 26 lbs in the overweight bmi. (Specifically 21 lbs lost since Feb 5.)

How exactly does one track the healthiness of this?

I think my loss came from mostly exercise. I ate from 1200 to 1450 (mfp gave me 1349) and didn't eat back the exercise calories, and I really replenished (if there's such a thing) on every weekend at buffets and regular eat outs with friends. I played tennis noticeably better than my 3 year companion friend during this time.

I don't know, maybe pay close attention to your body.