How do I log this?

Options
amusedmonkey
amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
It looks like a round cucumber. Do I log it like a cucumber? Does it have a name in English? I believe it may be a cross between a cucumber plant and another cucurbit. It tastes exactly like a cucumber, the seeds are soft like slightly overgrown cucumber seeds but the outer layer is slightly harder and is a little bit fuzzy in places. It weighs about 200-250 grams in average.

gckudfmqpsmb.jpg
hzjd941bjh4a.jpg

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    That looks delicious! Could it be a carosello or some other cucumber/melon hybrid?
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    My nan used to grow something like this but it was light green and stripey on the outside, we called it an apple cucumber.
    I think i'd just weigh the edible part and log it as a cucumber, unless someone local can give you another name for it that you can google.
    It's going to be a guess, but for what looks like a pretty water based vegetable, I don't think you will suddenly be adding too many extra cals.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I'd log it as honeydew melon. I guess that it's less sweet so the cals and carbs for melon may be a little higher but you'll be in the right ball park.

As you say it must be part of the cucurbit family. I'm interested as to what it tastes like and how you decide to prepare it.
  • amusedmonkey
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'd log it as honeydew melon. I guess that it's less sweet so the cals and carbs for melon may be a little higher but you'll be in the right ball park.

As you say it must be part of the cucurbit family. I'm interested as to what it tastes like and how you decide to prepare it.

It tastes exactly like a cucumber that was picked a day too late. Maybe reminiscent of an Armenian cucumber in crunchiness. I just made it into a simple salad with olive oil and onions. No refuse, all parts are edible. When I have enough calories I usually scoop out the seeds (and eat them) then fill the halves with whole fat plain Greek yogurt with pressed garlic, spearmint and sea salt.

Edit: I considered logging it as a melon, but I had two (445 grams) and the difference is 100 calories which is considerable given that I have a low calorie day today, which is why I made this thread.
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm just hoping someone knows what it is. OP, where are you?
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    rsleighty wrote: »
    I'm just hoping someone knows what it is. OP, where are you?

I'm in the Levant (eastern Mediterranean).
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I'd guess carosello too, but I'm not entirely sure because of the seeds. I'd log it as that or as cucumber and call it a day.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    I'd guess carosello too, but I'm not entirely sure because of the seeds. I'd log it as that or as cucumber and call it a day.

Yep, I split the difference and logged as a cucumber plus 30 quick calories just in case. I've also found this online. An Indian cucumber called Dosakai that looks similar.