How many calories do you leave yourself for supper?

Options
13»

Replies

• Tysonlovesweights
    Tysonlovesweights Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    growing up in a rural area, "dinner" was at lunch time, and "supper" was about 6 or so, whenever my father got home from work, but for many folks, there is no difference, they both occur at 5-6 pm and are interchangeable. whatever your preference semantically, I eat usually around 600+ at my 6 pm feeding, mostly meat and veggies, my "big" carb meal is typically breakfast. also, like many others on here, I tend to not "save any calories, but mostly eat whatever is left in my day. the bonus for me is that my schedule works best when i work out at night, after my kids go to bed, so on my gym days, if I have eaten more than I planned durign the day, I can add in some extra cardio or whatever, to keep my net cals in check.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I do 500 for breakfast, 300-400 for lunch, 600 for dinner, and the rest (400-500) for after-dinner snacking.
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I work out after work, so I'm often not home until 8-9pm. I often leave myself 700-900 calories for dinner and snacks in the evening. This is the opposite of a lot of "wisdom" about diet and weight loss, but it suits my lifestyle (I'm not a morning person so don't go to the gym before work), and I'm still losing over 1kg (2.2lbs) a week.
  • Katkamm77
    Katkamm77 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I bought Bob Greene's book, The Best Life Diet, at Goodwill. I only bought it for a couple of the recipes but, started actually reading it*. He states. "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper". Don't eat anything less than 2 hrs. before you go to bed. His thinking is your body needs fuel during the day, while it's working, not so much at night while you're sleeping. If you eat your calories early, your body has time to burn them off before they turn to fat.
    That being said, I never used to eat breakfast (I wasn't hungry). We always eat a big meal for dinner because that's when my family is all together. Since I started MFP I now eat breakfast, a hearty lunch and, while my family eats a big dinner, I don't. Once I get my act together and lose more poundage, I will eat what they eat, just smaller portions and cutting out the excessively, "bad for me" stuff.

*I will decide, once I finish the book, whether or not I agree with his plan. In the mean time, I'm enjoying the recipes.
  • OCTOBERLISA
    OCTOBERLISA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    1000 calories
  • Michellekutz1
    Options
    I eat the largest portion of cals for dinner too
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I get panicky if I don't have ~1000 left for dinner. Most of my dinners are between 800-1200 calories.

I'm the same way. 1000 calls is usually right if I don't plan on drinking. 1500 if I do.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I usually eat an early dinner, around 900.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    It depends. I use up a lot of my calories for Breakfast, Lunch, & snacks. Some days I'll have 500-600 depending on what I am eating for dinner other times it could be 200-300.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Most of my dinners are between 800-1200 calories.

This
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Because I usually get my biggest workout in around 4:00 before dinner, I don't really think about it that much. My numbers before my workout don't really matter that much to me. If it's looikng like I won't have too many left for dinner, then I'll workout just a little harder. I don't really leave myself any specific number.