Need to gain more healthy weight

Options
Hi, I'm currently 26weeks pregnant. I'm 5'3" and currently weight 140lbs. My midwife has wanted me to gain 1-2lbs a week and so far I've been 140lbs since 18weeks. She's starting to think I'm not eating enough(which I am or think I am) I also have gestational diabetes so I'm on a "strict" diet of 12carb servings daily (15g per serving)can anyone help?!

Replies

• BinaryFu
    BinaryFu Posts: 240 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You may think you're eating enough, but until you log it, you don't know it for fact. It is up to you, but considering you're pregnant and have diabetes, I would be speaking with a doctor about what is necessary for you to eat to keep yourself and your unborn healthy.

I'm sure your midwife is skilled and knowledgeable, but we're talking about a combination of medical conditions - pregnancy is one thing, diabetes is another. Put them together and you have what's generally considered a high-risk pregnancy. Anything you can do to mitigate that risk is crucial.

Don't look for advice and answers from people here - they're not doctors (and if they are, they generally know not to give out advice online without a medical examination - that's just silly). So again let me urge you - go see your family doctor and get advice from them on what you need to do for you and your unborn child's health. You may even want to schedule the meeting to include your midwife so they are also informed on what the doctor recommends.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would agree that speaking to a doctor, especially considering you have gestational diabetes is key. Anything over 20lbs for the total pregnancy is considered safe... or at least according to my wifes ob, and high risk doctors.

Considering your higher risk nature, are you seeing an Ob and a high risk? If not, i would consider it to be safe.