How would you do it?

Options
Hi everyone. I need some help deciding which way I should go.I'm currently on a bulking diet but my latest assessment got me thinking. I calculated a bit & it turns out I need to lose 6 kg fat & gain 7 kg muscle for the kind of body I want. My current body fat is 14-15% & I weigh 69 kg. Can't see my abs at all & I've got a bit of fat on my butt which is noticeable. So if you were in my position, how would you do it? Would you first lose the 6 kg of fat & then start bulking in order to gain the 7 kg of muscle? or would you first gain the muscle & then cut the fat all together. I want to first do the gaining part but I'm worried that I'll obviously gain some more fat & then it would be too hard to cut it all.

Replies

• larsminnaar
    larsminnaar Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Youre not 15% bodyfat. If you cant see any abs youre more likely to be 20%+ in which case I would start with a cut. This however depends on your stats. 69kg is not a lot of weight for my height but might be for yours. Google the male bodyfat percentage image to see an estimate of how you look and work from there.
  • ZacharyWolfe
    ZacharyWolfe Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I'm 15%. It's mentioned in my assessment report.
    I guess my muscle definition is not as good as it should be. Because I used to be really skinny & even then it was hard to see my abs
  • larsminnaar
    Options
    How did you measure? Many methods are inaccurate and can vary quite a few percent. Id take the link i send you as a measurement but if you feel you identify as the 15% one definitely start bulking.
  • ZacharyWolfe
    Options
    I did it on the scale which is hooked to the computer at the gym. Looking at the picture you sent, I can say that my body right now resembles the 15% pic except for the abs part which is more like the 20% pic. So even if the machine at my gym is a little bit inaccurate it shouldn't be too far from 15%. Thanks for the help. I guess I could lose 2-3 kg before I can start gaining.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    So the end game is you want to see your abs before you bulk? No choice but to a cut and then bulk. and because you are unsure of the bulk along with gaining fat, I think your best suited for cut then slow bulk.

Look you already know how to loose the fat, do not be so afraid not to add on the size you are looking for, you may even like the way you look while bulking.
  • ZacharyWolfe
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Not really. My main concern is having too much fat to cut down in the end. Gaining weight has never been difficult for me but I'm struggling with losing some. The only reason I'm so confused is because whenever I ask my trainer if I should cut first he advises me to keep the diet going & keep gaining
  • ZacharyWolfe
    Options
    I guess I could do it in parts. Lose 3 kg first & then gain 5kg. Then again start cutting & lose 3 kg & finally gain whatever is remaining.
  • larsminnaar
    Options
    Read the sticky of the former fat boy syndrom ;) you seem to deal with it dont worry about gaining you will always be able to cut it again. Especially if your trainer tells you to keep going he probably has a better view on your personal development than the broscientists here :)
  • worsthorse
    worsthorse Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    if you are gaining muscle (indicated by progressive strength gains in your lifting or accurate measurement of your lean body mass, preferably both) not just weight and you have a long term perspective, continue to bulk and get your LBM where you want it to be. then cut, with a target of losing a pound or less a week. why? because the additional LBM will burn more calories and make it easier to lose weight. note that you will lose some lean body mass along the way.

if you are more concerned with your body fat, cut first and then move into a calorie surplus to supply material for LBM gains. you will regain some BF along the way. i would guess that this way is harder and will take longer, which is why bodybuilders bulk then cut rather than the other way around.

as for your body fat percentage, be wary of scales that estimate body fat by measuring impedance (sound like what they use at your gym). they are rough guesses at best and fail under lots of conditions. consider getting a caliper measurement from someone that knows how to use them or finding one of those fancy "bodypod" measuring services.
  • ZacharyWolfe
    Options
    Thank you so much for these replies guys.
    I'm now sort of convinced to go ahead & gain first. I think the best thing to do next is too make sure what my fat % is. If by chance it's above 15% I'll need to get it down first. Thanks again for all the advise.