Thank you MFP members

Options
For the last 18 years I have taught Nutrition, Chemistry, and Genetics. I could tell you all of the nutrients found in most foods, how they were digested, and what our body used them for. I knew the pros and cons of almost any "diet" you could name - low fat, low carb, "clean eating", etc. I knew intellectually what a serving size was.

And yet - I gained weight. I blamed it on a variety of factors (quit smoking, pregnancy at 41, illness, menopause, etc.). I ended up at 172 lbs, and, at only 5'6', that was not pretty. My cholesterol started inching higher, I couldn't walk as far or as fast as I did in the past, I was getting stiff and achy joints, and in general felt miserable.

Every year I had my Nutrition students track their diets for a week. The most complete reports were from MFP, so I thought I would give it a shot. I started a year and a half ago, lost 17 lbs., had to have surgery and ate at maintenance for a year, and restarted again 6 months ago.

The BEST advice I saw here was to buy a food scale, so I did. Eye opening indeed! I have always eaten a fairly good diet, mostly whole foods with moderate "junk", but had no idea of the AMOUNTS I had been eating. I have not changed too much WHAT I eat, just HOW MUCH I eat, and am down 29 lbs. with 13 more to go. My cholesterol dropped 30+ points in 6 months.

Thank you, thank you all of you that help by asking posters if they are weighing their foods. It was the most helpful advice and, in my opinion, the key to weight loss.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Well done you

Hope you're feeling loads better and passing on the advice to your students
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Excellent!
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    that really is a success story - huge high five!
  • Beaner63
    Beaner63 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how much difference there can be when you start weighing things.
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Hey congrats! I hope you can pass on what you have learned to your students, it's fantastic that you're in a position to help people like that.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Fabulous! Bumping because I think a lot of people need to read this.
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Agreed! It was eye opening for me as well.
  • gember85
    gember85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Best advice ever couldn't be without my scales now x
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with the scale being key. Sadly, many who "cannot lose weight" resist using one.