Runners: How do you avoid blisters?

Options
Just got a new pair of running shoes, from a real running store. First time wearing them, everything was fine. Today was the second time wearing them, doing c25k, and I developed blisters on the insides of my feet, right between the big toe and arch.

My first thought is that I wasn't wearing the right socks. I only had on cotton athletic socks. Yesterday I wore better running socks. Could this be the culprit? What do you guys do to prevent blisters?

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    good socks are key. Avoid cotton socks. They rub.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I agree, good socks help. The shoe may not be right for you either. I wear smartwool, there are several good brands. You should be able to find at the running store
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Medical tape where you think a blister will form will prevent it.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Callouses, good thin socks, and nice shoes. I've picked up some shoes that give me blisters right away and others I can run forever in. You might need to shop around more.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Socks for me as well.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i slather my feet in aquaphor to help reduce friction
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Vaseline
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    My feet are already callused, but proper shoes, dry fit socks, and if need be........some mole skin over the tender area.
  • willammoney
    willammoney Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Keep running until they get tough... Wait until you lose a toenail
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Socks for sure. Also, don't be afraid to take the shoes back to the store. That is a big advantage of local running stores, they will work with you.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Injinji toe socks FTW!
    I've ran up to 31mi in them. Nothing. 22mi yesterday. I've been using them for about 2yrs now. Only sock I'll run in.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    Injinji toe socks FTW!
    I've ran up to 31mi in them. Nothing. 22mi yesterday. I've been using them for about 2yrs now. Only sock I'll run in.

Those socks look so cool! I may have to try a pair...
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Just got a new pair of running shoes, from a real running store. First time wearing them, everything was fine. Today was the second time wearing them, doing c25k, and I developed blisters on the insides of my feet, right between the big toe and arch.

My first thought is that I wasn't wearing the right socks. I only had on cotton athletic socks. Yesterday I wore better running socks. Could this be the culprit? What do you guys do to prevent blisters?

The mantra for today is Cotton is Rotten! Now repeat after me... Cotton is Rotten!

Cotton is ok for daily wear but not for workout wear... when cotton gets wet it gets abrasive on the skin. Please invest in some dual layer or dryfit type socks. They are well worth the investment!

• sky_northern
    sky_northern Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I love the double layered Wright socks.
  • Runningforafew
    Runningforafew Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Quality socks, the right shoes, body glide and a new lacing technique! Google alternative lacing techniques for runners and you will find all kinds of articles!
  • Obeg
    Obeg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would look closely at your shoes. Just because you got them from a real running store does not mean it is a good match. Even same brand and same "model" but different shoe can wear differently. What I mean by this is I pretty much only wear low to zero rise Brooks shoes. I prefer their Pure line. I have a road shoe that I have bought the same exact shoe twice in a row - love them. They discontinued that so I bought another Brooks shoe in the Pure line. These worked well also. But my Brooks Pure line trail shoe (same size and same basic everything as my road shoe other than tread) caused blisters. I removed the insert and that helped a lot - but not 100%. So I also wrap my foot with prewrap tape and that solves it. Moral of the story (at least to me) - maybe try another shoe.

Also - I have never lost a toe nail. Never even had any "trauma" in that area. I have read horror stories of that - but I don't get it. Never been a problem. Other than this blister.. no issues on the skin. (I trained for 2 marathons over 2 years .. so I have logged a lot of miles). I don't if I am just lucky - or again - if I just had the right shoes.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    right fitted shoes, right socks, right lacing, callouses, etc
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Obeg wrote: »
    I would look closely at your shoes. Just because you got them from a real running store does not mean it is a good match. Even same brand and same "model" but different shoe can wear differently. What I mean by this is I pretty much only wear low to zero rise Brooks shoes. I prefer their Pure line. I have a road shoe that I have bought the same exact shoe twice in a row - love them. They discontinued that so I bought another Brooks shoe in the Pure line. These worked well also. But my Brooks Pure line trail shoe (same size and same basic everything as my road shoe other than tread) caused blisters. I removed the insert and that helped a lot - but not 100%. So I also wrap my foot with prewrap tape and that solves it. Moral of the story (at least to me) - maybe try another shoe.

Also - I have never lost a toe nail. Never even had any "trauma" in that area. I have read horror stories of that - but I don't get it. Never been a problem. Other than this blister.. no issues on the skin. (I trained for 2 marathons over 2 years .. so I have logged a lot of miles). I don't if I am just lucky - or again - if I just had the right shoes.

I too have had lots and lots of miles logged in the past 10 years. I also only will run in Brooks, and have never had an issue. I once wore normal cotton socks and got a huge blister that popped in the same run, but never had any toenail issues. Also have done multiple marathons in them and wore the shoes out until the sole peeled off of them.

My family bought me some nikes, and I don't even like going to the gym in them. I try to treadmill or elliptical with them and my feet fall asleep and go numb after 5 minutes.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Shoes that fit properly won't give you blisters however that is sometimes easier said than done as everyone's feet are different. If the blistering is minor and there are no other issues you may be able to mitigate further blistering with a 2 layer sock (like the Wright ones mentioned previously - I've used them and like them) another good option are the smartwool ones.

Also, the tip in this video may help by reducing the amount your foot can move in the shoe.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IijQyX_YCKA