PSMF and whey?

Options
HI!

After losing a lot of weight already on keto, I am following a PSMF/High protein inspired diet right now and ramped up my protein intake a lot while lowering all else. I consume 250-300g protein/whey (32, 188cm, male, 130kg, 30%BF) and about 100g fat.

How long should I continue? I see results and also train 3x a week now regularely. My skin also feels tighter and I lost approx. 4-5cm on my waist (hard to measure). But I have NO weight loss at all right now, even went up 0.5-1kg (muscle??).

Is there a side effect of triggering mtor (with protein consumption) regularely? I mean no carbs and few fat cant get into the cells right, but does it also inhibit fat oxidation and therefore I just build muscle a bit and dont burn bodyfat??

Does PSMF has to be LOW KCAL?

Do I NEED to do a refeed because of the low kcal amount?!
I love keto and dont really see necessity but understand, that KCAL cycling is recommended for basal metabolic rate. Or should I first continue the weight loss?

About Protein:
PSMF according to Lyle MCDonald is about 1-2g/kg lean mass.
Poliquin recommends up to 3-4g/kg protein per bodyweight and ultra low carb for overweight.
Usual suggestion is around 2g/kg protein per Bodyweight for obese

What should I use? I feel good with more protein.
Also whey does raise GLP1 and only has beneficial effects as far as I know (suppversity)

Replies

• eraser51
    eraser51 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    push
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    PSMF is meant to be on the verge of a VLCD. It's intended to have you eating all protein with a few lower carbohydrate vegetables and just enough protein to spare your muscles from being used while "fasting". You've likely calculated your needs too high. Your body fat is still high enough you could maintain a lower calorie intake for several weeks without a refeed. The PSMF handbook outlines that.

When I did PSMF I weighed 200 pounds (as a female with roughly 150 pounds of lean mass) and my intake was 1300 calories per day with 3 training days per week.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    PSMF is meant to be on the verge of a VLCD.

It's not on the verge of a VLCD. It IS a type of VLCD (which is not a dirty word to me). As you know, you don't just throw a PSMF together. You have to calculate your needs and buy the right food.

• Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The Reddit PSMF subreddit may provide some answers.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Unless you follow the protocols outlined for a PSMF you are not doing one. You are just eating a low carb diet! Do some reading