Weights ?

Options
I'm considering buying myself a kettlebell but have no idea what weight. I'm a beginner with them but don't want to start to low. ??

Replies

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of stores have a 30 day return policy. :)
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Are you doing any weights right now? If not, I would start with the lowest, at most 5pds.
    Edit: I have a pair of barbells, both 3's and 6's which if you can catch them on sale tend to be a similar price as to a standalone kettlebell, and I can do multiple exercises with them. Just food for thought - can't say I haven't looked at a kettlebell myself. :smile:
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I started kettlebells 6 months ago, at the time I started off with a 6kg one, but quickly needed something heavier, so got a 8kg one. A few months after that I got a 12kg one.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I got a set, ranging from 5kg to 12kg, and have gradually progressed. I'd recommend buying a set (though don't park your car too far from the shop!)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    I got a set, ranging from 5kg to 12kg, and have gradually progressed. I'd recommend buying a set (though don't park your car too far from the shop!)

Good tip! This is why I bought my ankle weight from Amazon. Obviously, I could've carried those but I'd rather have things delivered to my door with no shipping charges.
  • SIMAKRA
    SIMAKRA Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started with 6kg. Looking bach I would not do it again. After 8 weeks I now use a 16kg.
    Go for a 10. In the beginning you can practise with milk gallon until you have the techique right
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    You'll need a couple. If you're used to weights you could probably start with at least a 12kg for swings/dl. But you'll probably need a lighter one for anything above your head - say 8kg. Don't make the mistake of buying too light. You'll outgrow it quickly and it won't challenge you.
  • laurelh8
    laurelh8 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    From: https://kettlebellsusa.com/what-size-kettlebell-should-i-buy-guidelines-for-men-and-women-to-choose-a-starter-kettlebell-weight

Kettlebell Sizes for Women

Unlike men, women tend to start out with a kettlebell that is too light for them, sometimes way too light! Women I have news for you; you are a lot stronger than you think you are! Lifting kettlebells will not make you big and bulky and rob you of your feminine curves. On the contrary, with proper training and dedication it will give you the body you've always wanted. So don't be scared of "heavy" kettlebells; once you learn how to unlock the power of your hips and core you will be swinging kettlebell weights you never thought possible.

For ballistic movements like kettlebell swings, cleans and snatches an average, active women should start with a kettlebell between 8 kg - 18 lb and 12 kg - 26 lb. An athletic woman should start with a kettlebell between 12 kg - 26 lb and 16 kg - 35 lb. Out of shape, inactive women should try a bell between 6 kg - 13 lb and 8 kg - 18 lb.

As with men, for controlled, grinding movements like Turkish Get-ups and windmills you should choose a kettlebell that you can easily press overhead about 8-10 times. An average, active women should start with a kettlebell between 6 kg - 13 lb and 8 kg - 18 lb. An athletic woman should start with a kettlebell between 8 kg - 18 lb and 12 kg - 26 lb and out of shape, inactive women should try a bell between 4 kg - 9 lb and 6 kg - 13 lb.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Good tip! This is why I bought my ankle weight from Amazon. Obviously, I could've carried those but I'd rather have things delivered to my door with no shipping charges.

I ordered my kettlebells online, it made me laugh when the postman commented on how heavy my parcel was!
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Ha poor postman. I picked mine up, happened to have the mother in law in tow so she had to carry one. I had parked fairly close!